Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 09:32 PM

209 posts, read 606,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigbadlibrl View Post
So glad to see you conservatives want to isolate yourselves from those dastardly liberals. It can be a terrifying prospect to expose children to those who might disagree with you. We can't chance getting to know each other or heaven forbid open our minds just a little bit. Way to prepare children for the real world.
haha. I like this. I am a Christian, believe it or not, but I'm one of those durn liberals. To be honest this is one of the reasons I don't like central PA and gravitate more towards philly or other places outside of PA in general. There are a lot of narrow people (not the OP, just in general) who literally take other opinions personally, as if it were some kind of attack on their belief system (which if they were truly secure in, would not be a threat). It really bothers me, and it has not happened as often in any other place I have lived. It's very wierd, IMO. Being a democrat and an artist-type in a VERY conservative area is one of the things about PA that has always bothered me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
To be fair, if I was plopped down in a town full of Rush Limbaugh or Glenn Beck clones, I would probably leave. It's not that I don't want to be around people with differing opinions, it's that I would be in a town full of Rush Limbaugh clones.
haha! That's funny too. There are also people on the other side of the political spectrum, who, if they were all mini dems in a town...I'd leave too, even as a liberal. It is true that I have found some people in central PA less accepting of new ideas, and some people have trouble moving on, though.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:44 AM

18 posts, read 49,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigbadlibrl View Post
So glad to see you conservatives want to isolate yourselves from those dastardly liberals. It can be a terrifying prospect to expose children to those who might disagree with you. We can't chance getting to know each other or heaven forbid open our minds just a little bit. Way to prepare children for the real world.
Why is it a problem that they have decided the kind of community where they want to raise their family? Its not like you, as a liberal, would want to live in a community of conservatives. They have every right to request a more conservative community...which exist all over this country...so are in fact a part of the real world.

Their post was in no means disrespectful to liberals. You make a bad name for liberal thinking people, and underline a conservative parent's desire to live in a like-minded community when you respond in this manner.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:44 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,877,477 times
I've lived in Liberal NY all my life and I'm a pretty far right Conservative. My friends are mostly Conservative but I get along pretty well with Liberals also as long as we stay away from politics lol. My problem with living in a Liberal area is that I feel I have no representation in Congress or anywhere on a political level because all the reps are Liberal and I do not agree with their policies. This is why I want to move to a more Conservative area. So when I vote, it means something and I have a shot at being represented by someone with similar political views.
I have written to my representatives many times with my views only to get form letters back basically thanking me for my input but tough luck, they are voting as they see fit. I'm sick of it.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:58 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,921,089 times
I've often wondered what it would be like to move to a place with more like-minded folks. I usually come to the same conclusion:

Boring.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:55 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,877,477 times
Could be but after living where the vast majority have conflicting views? Frustrating is a polite word. I'll try boring, I think. I'm older now and maybe boring instead of conflict would be a nice change.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:32 PM

56 posts, read 109,313 times
I read some of the threads on being liberal vs conservative. I must admit, yes my family and I are right wing conservatives, however, we are not judgemental. The boring life we lead perfectly suites us. I have been in town this week searching for other options of where to live and what schools the kids should attend. I have to admit, that the east shore is really beautiful, but expensive! The taxes are really high (astronomical) and it will be to far of a drive to Shippensburg for my husband. I also like the west shore, specifically the Camp Hill area, but I am concerned about the commute every day bringing the kids back and forth to school on the east shore in the traffic and on the freeway. I do not know of any private Christian k-12 schools on the west shore. From what I have experienced, it does not seem there is an easy way to get from the east to the west shore without the highway construction or traffic. Tomorrow, I am going to check out Gettysburg and Chambersbug, possibly Carlisle. Can anyone suggest a Christian k-12 school in either Adams,Cumberland, or Franklin county that will be a good fit for my two children ages 5 and 9? They are coming from a Christian school that offers excellent academics and about 300 plus children attending. Any suggestions on schools (Christian K-12) would really be appreciated. I have visited various websites that offer info, but any feedback from people who are currently or have previously experienced private schools in those areas would be great! Again, I appreciate everyone's time and input!

Old 10-08-2011, 08:40 PM

56 posts, read 109,313 times
I am re-posting this thread hoping to have additional input. I have been in town this week searching for other options of where to live and what schools the kids should attend. I have to admit, that the east shore is really beautiful, but expensive! The taxes are really high (astronomical) and it will be to far of a drive to Shippensburg for my husband. I also like the west shore, specifically the Camp Hill area, but I am concerned about the commute every day bringing the kids back and forth to school on the east shore in the traffic and on the freeway. I do not know of any private Christian k-12 schools on the west shore. From what I have experienced, it does not seem there is an easy way to get from the east to the west shore without the highway construction or traffic. Tomorrow, I am going to check out Gettysburg and Chambersbug, possibly Carlisle. Can anyone suggest a Christian k-12 school in either Adams,Cumberland, or Franklin county that will be a good fit for my two children ages 5 and 9? They are coming from a Christian school that offers excellent academics and about 300 plus children attending. Any suggestions on schools (Christian K-12) would really be appreciated. I have visited various websites that offer info, but any feedback from people who are currently or have previously experienced private schools in those areas would be great! Again, I appreciate everyone's time and input!

Old 10-09-2011, 05:58 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Mod note - I've merged the two threads by gahr1family since they seemed to be about the same topic. The replies may not mesh perfectly.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:37 PM

TBH, I'm not sure how many you will find. There is not really a high demand for private schools in the area in general; the public schools are fairly good so most people use those. There are a few though. I had a few friends who went to LMH but that's probably too far for you to go as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area