Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2011, 08:23 PM

5 posts, read 12,909 times

Advertisements

Please, I really need your help!
I'm moving to Chambersburg in December, and I'm supposed to stay for 3 months. I will work in a restaurant and I don't have housing provided. I would like to know if you guys know any weekly hotel, someone that rents a bedroom or anything so i can stay!!!

And another question, i would like to know how to work out the public transportation, how can i get to the other cities if i don't have a car? I've read that there's no bus line to other cities or something, how you guys do, how can i do! PLEASE HELP
THANKS

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-30-2011 at 07:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 08:03 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,922,748 times
Hello,

I did some basic research and was not able to find anything useful. The local bus service (Chambersburg Transit Authority) went out of business in 2004. None of the other regional bus services provide service to Chambersburg that I can see, and neither does Greyhound. Amtrak (train) does not provide service either.

The closest I can find is Raider Regional Transit. They pick up and drop off at the Chambersburg mall, and only take you into Shippensburg. Unfortunately this only happens on Saturday afternoons.

There are numerous taxi companies serving the area, but they get very expensive. If you can get to Carlisle or Harrisburg, your transit options improve greatly.

I never knew Chambersburg was so cut off from mass transit. Hopefully I'm missing something here and someone with more knowledge of the city will be able to help.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:30 AM

25 posts, read 106,039 times
Cburg native here. Unfortunately, Downtown is right (to my knowledge - it's been awhile since I lived there). You'd have to go to Hagerstown or Carlisle for more options.

As for housing, check out the classifieds in the Public Opinion: www.publicopiniononline.com. Word-of-mouth may be your best bet. Do you know any of the people you'll be working with?

Old 09-27-2011, 09:45 PM

5 posts, read 12,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovyPA View Post
Cburg native here. Unfortunately, Downtown is right (to my knowledge - it's been awhile since I lived there). You'd have to go to Hagerstown or Carlisle for more options.

As for housing, check out the classifieds in the Public Opinion: www.publicopiniononline.com. Word-of-mouth may be your best bet. Do you know any of the people you'll be working with?
No, I don't know anybody that I'm about to work with. All I know is that I'm working in Ryan's grill, which is located in Lincoln East, do you know the place, any tips?

Hey, there's no public transportation in the city? In case I live far from work?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-30-2011 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: fixed typos, spelling, grammer

Old 10-04-2011, 09:26 PM

209 posts, read 607,062 times
hahahahaha

Public transportation???

Central PA does not know what that means. There is no decent public transportation. Really. Amtrack does not even provide service to DC, let alone to Chambersburg.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:53 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit624 View Post
hahahahaha

Public transportation???

Central PA does not know what that means. There is no decent public transportation. Really. Amtrack does not even provide service to DC, let alone to Chambersburg.
as much as I would love to disagree and bash this your right kit624.

THERE IS NO PUBLIC TRANSIT IN CHAMBERSBURG PERIOD NONE WHATSOEVER SADLY THAT IS THE TRUTH. IN the future that may change but now absolutely nothing at all.

FYI central PA is utter nothingness the only public transit it supports is intercity bus trailways and such exist BUT NOT FOR CHAMBERSBURG.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:19 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,922,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
FYI central PA is utter nothingness the only public transit it supports is intercity bus trailways and such exist BUT NOT FOR CHAMBERSBURG.
Mass transit for the region is shockingly bad. I understand we simply don't have the population for a well-equipped mass transit system like Philly or New York. But even the Harrisburg metro area, with our 530k-ish residents, has a terrible bus system. No matter where I've lived or where I've worked or where I've wanted to go, the bus was always 15 minutes later than I needed or an hour too early.

And forget rail. Getting light rail between Harrisburg and Lancaster was almost impossible, to say nothing of service to the west shore.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:41 PM

209 posts, read 607,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
as much as I would love to disagree and bash this your right kit624.

THERE IS NO PUBLIC TRANSIT IN CHAMBERSBURG PERIOD NONE WHATSOEVER SADLY THAT IS THE TRUTH. IN the future that may change but now absolutely nothing at all.

I promise I wasn't trying to be snarky or "bashable." There is literally no good PT in the area. It's odd considering the fact that the area is growing and many people would use it if it were available. It's one of the largest problems/drawbacks to central PA. The bus always came WAY too early or required an HOUR layover (thus negating the point of the bus, IMO) at the changeover station in the city, and you can't even get to DC on the train. It's just...bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area