U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2011, 12:42 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,951,110 times

Advertisements

I have some relatives visiting today through next Wednesday and we would like to do some shopping and sightseeing in the Amish country. Can you give us some ideas on where we should go? We would like to visit some Amish shops and then get a bite to eat while there. Are there certain sections of towns where we can do this? Would it be in Lancaster or thereabouts? We will be coming from Allentown.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 02:52 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,463,929 times
I would recommend the areas along Route 340~Old Philadelphia Pike. There's a grocery store called Kauffman's that sells local foods, and the Kitchen Kettle Village has a working kitchen you can see and taste different foods. It's a pokey 2 lane road, often slow because of horse and buggy traffic. There are several woodworking, ironworks, craft and quilt stores and variety of farm stands on the edges of property. The Amish live among "the English", you can usually tell their homes by the laundry hanging on the line or by the green windowshades. There are areas where you will not see any above ground wires, 1 room school houses, working farms (although not plowing season, the animals may be in the yard) and some neat restaurants serving traditional PA fare.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:08 PM

10,865 posts, read 15,581,594 times
Default Reviving a four year old thread....

My wife is heading that way and would like to buy a quilt -- but NOT from a quilt store. From someone selling quilts from their house.

Are there any areas that are better than others for driving around on a Saturday quilt safari?

Old 08-01-2015, 02:08 PM

15,365 posts, read 9,407,295 times
I live in an area of Pennsylvania which has some Amish culture, and has attracted some "Amish immigrants" as farmland in more developed counties like Lancaster and Lebanon has become more expensive. I also have a brother who saw Amish culture at a much closer level of exposure, since he's a veterinarian.

It's hard for those who get almost all their exposure to the "plain people" via the electronic media to understand how things really work, because Amish life is neither monolithic nor completely static. A person drawn into the backwaters of Amish society by business necessities, for example, will see more of the clubbed feet, harelips and other deformities caused by too much in-breeding, and the Amish are also forced to adapt in part to modern life due to basic societal factors. When Amish children are killed or injured in an accident involving a horse and buggy, the pressure to use vanpools for social events increases. And the dispersal of Amish society itself over longer distances, necessitates more travel.

The tendency of an insular culture to "lock out" outside influences with which even a modest anti-technical bias has to deal creates some strange side effects; Amish families might reject tractors, for example, but if poor conditions for plowing threaten the crops -- both for food and animal feed, and to meet a constantly-increasing property tax burden, they will use, or more likely hire, powered machinery to hedge their security. (One amusing little sidelight is that a tractor isn't quite as much of an abomination once the rubber tires are removed.) And I've personally dealt with Amishmen imported to Virginia from Pennsylvania to help harvest and process a tobacco crop.

So I would just suggest, and hope, that those who deal with the "plain people" would look a little deeper than the distorted images generated by Madison Avenue and Hollywood; their daily triumphs and tragedies are a lot closer to those faced by everyone else than first meets the eye. And they bargain hard, and seek a fair deal, same as the rest of us.

Old 08-01-2015, 02:09 PM

13,093 posts, read 23,491,343 times
Now that your rant is over... how about helping with the OP's question???

Old 08-01-2015, 02:14 PM

That'll be the day.

My wife just wants to buy a quilt. I don't see how that's a horrible thing for the person who makes quilts. All she wants to do is eliminate the middle-man and purchase directly from the craftswoman.

Old 08-01-2015, 02:16 PM

15,365 posts, read 9,407,295 times
What rant? I merely pointed out that Madison Avenue glitz and showmanship has created a distorted view, and occasionally caused some hurt feelings. When people on both sides of the disparity look a little deeper, everybody benefits -- except, possibly, those who profit from the distortions?

You can limit yourself to the touristy kitsch, or you can open your eyes.

Old 08-01-2015, 02:19 PM

You are assuming that we have watched lots of television and movies about the Amish. That isn't the case.

It's clear you don't want to answer the question.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:37 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,463,929 times
There are several fabric shops that might be able to steer you towards the home crafters quilting business. They might display cards or know of the locals that work out of their homes. Many of the stores operate on consignment, and are selective about which quilts they will allow to be sold. Driving the back roads of 772, Ronks Road, 741 and 340 might also lead you to signs out front that advertise quilts for sale.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:21 AM

13,002 posts, read 30,573,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
My wife is heading that way and would like to buy a quilt -- but NOT from a quilt store. From someone selling quilts from their house.

Are there any areas that are better than others for driving around on a Saturday quilt safari?
Let's stick with the question above please. ^^

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area