U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 04:39 PM

5 posts, read 20,148 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm a single young professional moving from DC to Harrisburg due to a job opportunity at Pinnacle. I like the idea of being able to walk to work and it seems that Pennsylvania Place and Executive House are the two apartment complexes that are mentioned the most in this area. I'm looking for feedback on both of these buildings. Good and bad stories are appreciated!

Also, I love the city life and enjoy a good beer, trying a variety of restaurants and visiting museums and art galleries. How do you feel about the night life and culture in Harrisburg. I hear there is an independent movie theater. Anyone been there?

Thanks for the help!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 10:26 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,589,127 times
Hi and welcome to the city!

I currently live in Executive House. I've been here for just shy of two years now, and I lived here for about five years starting in '99. I love it here. Water pressure is sky high even on the top floor, hot water is hot, outlets are plentiful, and in nearly seven years of living here, I have never experienced a power outage. The apartments are very well insulated; I never hear my neighbors and they never hear me.

All utilities are included. Electric, heating, air conditioning, water, sewer, trash, and gas. Parking is $50 / month for reserved outdoor, or $60 / month for reserved indoor.

Cosmetically speaking, the building could use a facelift. I'll be brutally honest -- it looks awful from the outside. The common areas (lobby / hallways) were last remodeled in 1989 and it shows. But the apartments themselves are huge, bright, and well-maintained with neutral colors throughout. Every apartment has a usable balcony, though some are bigger than others.

The management here is outstanding. The few maintenance requests I've had (a knob fell off a closet door, a dishwasher timer went bad, and one of my heater / air conditioning units was rattling) were taken care of the same or next day. Every time I've ever need some special accommodation -- extra parking space for a weekend visitor, letting a furniture delivery company into the apartment, etc -- they've been happy to help.

The residents are a mix of single professional 20- and 30-somethings and elderly retired couples. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground at all. Downtown has a very busy nightlife scene, and you will meet many of your neighbors along Restaurant Row. You're within easy walking distance of most of what downtown has to offer.

My experiences with Pennsylvania Place (http://floor9.com/2010/01/harrisburg-apartments-day-two-pennsylvania-place/ - broken link) were not pleasant. The building was remodeled in 1998, and while it doesn't look quite as dated as Executive House, its age is starting to show.

I'm getting ready to head out to lunch right now, but I'll post about the nightlife / entertainment / culture later this afternoon!

EDIT: Here are some pics from my apartment in EH. They should be publicly viewable -- let me know if they aren't.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9133755&type=3

Old 01-05-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUNurse View Post
Also, I love the city life and enjoy a good beer, trying a variety of restaurants and visiting museums and art galleries. How do you feel about the night life and culture in Harrisburg. I hear there is an independent movie theater. Anyone been there?
Downtown is the city's nightlife & entertainment district, especially the area along Second Street from Market to South. This area gets crazy busy on weekends from about 10pm until 2am. You've got nightclubs, sports bars, upscale martini lounges, ultralounges, restaurants, dive bars, Irish pubs ... the list is massive. The age group tends to be mostly 20-somethings, though 30-somethings are common and all age groups are present.

My personal favorites are Privado and Level 2 (ultralounges), Cafe Fresco (martini lounge), McGraths and Molly Brannigan's (Irish Pubs; McGraths is a little more authentic), and Anthony's (no-frills bar). Appalachian Brewing Company is a little removed from downtown, but books incredible indie-flavored live music acts in their upstairs bar.

Note that Anthony's has 40+ micros on tap and a daily 50% off happy hour. That means you can grab pints of very excellent micros for $2 - $4 each.

The two major nightclubs are Dragonfly and Eclipse / Hardware Bar. Dragonfly used to be upscale, but has since fallen downhill. Eclipse / Hardware Bar plays more mainstream pop / dance / club music. Both tend to attract the early-20-something "OMG PARTY BAR" crowd. There's a third nightclub halfway between downtown and midtown called Stallions. It's an LGBT-friendly club that draws a diverse crowd and plays better music than the other two clubs.

Midtown is the city's arts & culture district. It's currently experiencing the renaissance that downtown experienced in the early 2000s. Most of midtown's "hot spots" are concentrated along Third Street from about Boas to Reily. Midtown is arguably anchored by the Broad Street Market (Third & Verbeke), the oldest continually-operating market house in the US. It's only open Wednesday through Saturday, but it's a great place to get prepared foods and locally-raised meats & veggies.

Directly across the street is Midtown Scholar, an upscale used bookstore with a decent coffee bar. You can easily kill hours in here without realizing it. You'll find a leather-bound medical encyclopedia from the 1860s directly across the aisle from a mint-condition hardcover copy of Watership Down.

Next door is Mantis & Moviate, a gallery that also hosts regular screenings of unorthodox or independent films / documentaries. A few doors down is the Hodgepodgery, a local consignment shop that only deals with upcycled wares and unique handcrafted items. The owner is opening the city's first coop workspace on the upper floors.

Another block or two up Third is Reily Street, which hosts the Midtown Cinema. This is probably the theater you're thinking of. They focus primarily on well-received independent works, though they will sometimes pick up mainstream films that the local theater chains aren't showing. The quality of the picture and sound is good, but as with all independent theaters, you will occasionally get some terrible films. All part of the experience.

Downtown is about as safe as they come. Most of the crime downtown happens on weekends after 2am, when a few thousand people empty out onto Second Street as the bars close. You'll see your typical drunken drama -- fights, DUIs, disorderly conduct, that sort of thing. Most of this is concentrated to the 200 block where the two nightclubs are. A few months ago there were reports of a shooting in the 300 block of Chestnut Street, but this turned out to be someone who got shot in Allison Hill and walked across the bridge before collapsing near Fourth Street.

You'll want to check out Harrisburg Young Professionals. They're a very active civic group with a membership consisting of 20- and 30-somethings. Harrisburg also has a disproportionately large social media scene, with people organizing regular group event, get-togethers, and outings.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions!

Old 01-05-2012, 07:11 PM

Thank you so much for all this wonderful information! I can't tell you how much I appreciate this. I'm already excited about trying a number of these places. I actually just joined HYP yesterday after finding the website and seeing it recommended a few places. Glad to have an organization like that available.

[quote=Harrisburg also has a disproportionately large social media scene, with people organizing regular group event, get-togethers, and outings.[/quote]

Can you give me more information about this? Are there certain blogs, facebook groups or twitter feeds that you recommend in order to take part in these events?

The link did work for the photos of your apartment. Looks great! I'm going to be visiting town tomorrow to check out a few apartments. Looking forward to it.

Thanks again!

Old 01-05-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUNurse View Post
Can you give me more information about this? Are there certain blogs, facebook groups or twitter feeds that you recommend in order to take part in these events?
I'll put up a list tomorrow. I just wanted to get this quick reply in to say ...

Quote:
The link did work for the photos of your apartment. Looks great! I'm going to be visiting town tomorrow to check out a few apartments. Looking forward to it.
Thanks! Be sure to check out The Grayco. It's an often-overlooked gem midrise downtown on North St between Front & Second. It's a beautifully restored 1930s art deco building that you should definitely consider. My personal preference still leans towards EH, but it's a really close split between the two. Grayco has some drawbacks that EH doesn't, and vice-versa. Either way, it's definitely worth a look.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:47 PM

93 posts, read 293,337 times
Does anyone have the current cost for executive house?

Old 03-03-2014, 03:08 PM

6 posts, read 11,886 times
I was just there looking at apartments this weekend. The 1BR was $795 and does include all utilities with the exception of cable/internet/phone. That was for the non-renovated units. The newly renovated ones were in the 1,200's.

I'll be honest, Executive House was the worst of all the locations I saw. Everything seemed very dirty and run down. I didn't look at the newly renovated units since they are out of my price range. I ended up going with PA Place.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:31 AM

93 posts, read 293,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therrma2 View Post
I was just there looking at apartments this weekend. The 1BR was $795 and does include all utilities with the exception of cable/internet/phone. That was for the non-renovated units. The newly renovated ones were in the 1,200's.

I'll be honest, Executive House was the worst of all the locations I saw. Everything seemed very dirty and run down. I didn't look at the newly renovated units since they are out of my price range. I ended up going with PA Place.
How much is PA place per month. Does it include utilities?

Old 03-06-2014, 07:45 AM

6 posts, read 11,886 times
PA Place is 650-750 depending on how high up the unit is and what side of the building. It includes water, sewer, cooking gas, and trash.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:18 AM

To update this thread, I ended up going with the Pennsylvania Place for comfort reasons. I found the Executive House to be very dirty when I toured it. At the time, it was much cheaper than the PA Place and included all utilities. Like indicated above, they have recently done some renovations so I'm not sure what the prices are anymore. I have very much enjoyed my time at the PA Place. I have almost nothing but good things to say about the building. I also find its location extremely convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area