U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2012, 12:19 PM

87 posts, read 160,015 times

Advertisements

I have this job interview on the 17th of this month. I live in Pittsburgh and I'm using megabus to get there. I notice it takes me to the mall in Harrisburg. I need to get to 1006 Market Street in Harrisburg which is about an hour walk from the mall from what I'm seeing on google maps. I notice there isn't a bus transit I can take to get there as well. I don't mind walking as long I have a sidewalk to walk on. I'm used to walking all over Pittsburgh but I'm not really familiar with Harrisburg. Can anyone fill me in with suggestions on how to get from the mall to market street or atleast downtown? I wouldn't be opposed to paying for a ride if someone convinced me that walking is a bad idea. I'm suprise there's no bus transit from the mall to downtown
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 12:29 PM

If I get this job I plan on walking all over. Hopefully I can find place not far from downtown. Again, I know nothing about Harrisburg. I'm going to be researching for the next week and soak up as much as I can about this city. Feel free tell me about the city as I will be reading threads throughout the forum as well.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:41 PM

4,270 posts, read 10,825,841 times
Try routes 8, 20, possibly others on here: Routes & Schedules | CAT: Capital Area Transit

Old 01-06-2012, 01:46 PM

4,270 posts, read 10,825,841 times
Also if you are a fan of walking try Welcome to the Capital Area Greenbelt | Capital Area Greenbelt Association which would not be direct but does go near the mall (separated from where the Megabus stops only by the Dauphin County Prison :O , go around it to the left/south), and actually intersects Market further from your destination (across the tracks and down by the river, ten blocks away).

Old 01-06-2012, 05:51 PM

50 posts, read 104,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Try routes 8, 20, possibly others on here: Routes & Schedules | CAT: Capital Area Transit

I just spent over a month in Harrisburg and all I relied on was public transportation. The CAT bus system is decent but slow and it accesses different areas in Harrisburg and the surrounding areas.The 8,13, 19 and 20 buses are all at Harrisburg Mall. The 19 bus is the Steelton Bus and is on the other side of the mall.

All these buses terminate at 2 Market Square which is in downtown, from there you can access any bus you need to get to other areas , shopping centers etc.

There is no bus service on Sunday and few buses run after 7 pm on weekdays most end around that time or earlier. Hopefully the bus you are coming in will arrive before that time, if not you may have to take a taxi. Check the schedules online.

In my opinion Harrisburg is not a walkable city. I did walk while I was there but it isn't pedestrian friendly. Harrisburg Mall is too far and there are some not so great areas depending on which direction you take if you were to walk. Areas in Harrisburg can vary greatly, some you can walk a little some.... not. Downtown is totally safe and you can totally walk in that entire area but I would scratch the idea of walking if not downtown until you get used to the area if you decide to stay.

Last edited by truserenity; 01-06-2012 at 06:17 PM..

Old 01-06-2012, 06:15 PM

I just ordered tickets from greyhound instead. I found that the agency I'm interviewing at is only a couple blocks away from the greyhound so the walk should be nice. I'm coming from Pittsburgh. If I get the job I'll be looking for place to stay. Hopefully I can find some roommates. I will be going to craigslist list to find out. I will be spending a lot downtime between arrival and departure. Any good places to go waste time/get some awesome food?(generally in the downtown area)

Old 01-06-2012, 06:33 PM

To tell you the truth I didn't eat at the restaurants when i was there. I mostly had breakfast at Dunkin Donuts(North Second st), and would eat at either Subways, Taco Bell or Arbys which are all located in Strawberry Square which is a mini mall with a food court. Othertimes, I would travel to the shopping centers outside of the downtown area. There is a chinese restaurant on North Second st (2nd st Wok) and other restaurants going further up and on North Third st but i am not familiar with them.
I will defer to Downtown Harrisburg since they seem to know alot about the restaurants in that area.
I

Old 01-06-2012, 07:18 PM

They have a taco bell downtown?!

I'm not afraid of walking or getting caught in a bad area. I don't want to get caught having to walk on the highway. Sounds like I'll be able to get Harrisburg just fine. I lived on the North Side of Pitt and have journeyed at night for the last 4 years back and back and fourth to downtown and never had a problem. I'm a big guy and not afraid of anyone or anything except for maybe my portfolio getting snatched off of me or getting scratched.

Words cannot explain how excited I am for this trip. I'm 23 and I ready to take that leap into the real world. I can't wait to see Harrisburg whether it's good or bad it will be a great experience. I'm on cloud 9 just getting this opportunity to be interviewed and go to Harrisburg. Thank you for sharing tuserenity and ki0eh.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:24 PM

You don't have to worry about highways in the downtown area. While I was in Harrisburg I never felt unsafe but then I am from a big city. I just avoided the not so great areas and everything was cool.

I have gone to that same greyhound station in Harrisburg 3 am one time to catch a bus and walked several blocks to get there (i was staying downtown). I used my street smarts got there and took the bus.I couldn't get a taxi to take me so I had no choice. I wouldn't do it again though because I don't want to play russian roulet. You will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area