U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 12:50 PM

2 posts, read 7,597 times

Advertisements

Hello and thank you in advance for any and all information and suggestions. I'm currently researching moving to the Harrisburg area. I'm a African American mother with a 12 year old son. I currently live in a suburb of Reading, PA. I love the diversity of our local area & school district along with the great education and athletic department. I'm looking for something similar to where we live now. Currently we rent an apartment in a nice community where I pay $975 rent. From my research it seems as though I can find a rental substantially cheaper which is great I'd be happy with a townhouse or apartment- either is ok for us.

My hardest dilemma has been figuring out the Harrisburg area. I say "Harrisburg" but when I say it, I'm including Mechanicsburg, Camp Hill, and Carlisle as well, even though I guess they're not technically Harrisburg. So my question is could anyone please point me in the right direction in terms of diversity in the schools & safe neighborhoods? I'm not biased to suburban areas, city or town areas are ok too, so long as they are safe and the school district is good and diverse.

Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 07:59 PM

4,264 posts, read 10,256,418 times
Maybe Carlisle Area, Susquehanna Twp, Middletown Area, and Derry Twp schools. Harrisburg City and Steelton-Highspire schools have more problems than these four. Other areas have less diversity. Carlisle has the Army War College for colonels on the way up, positive role models in America's most integrated large institution. Carlisle Borough's north side has some issues but nothing on the scale of Reading.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:14 PM

2 posts, read 7,597 times
Thank you for the information!

Old 01-25-2012, 02:08 PM

701 posts, read 1,303,998 times
Harrisburg city schools are not the best, the city itself is currently in economic ruin, I'm sure things will turn around in years to come but right now, it's not the place to move to. "Harrisburg city" is actually a fairly small area, all the surrounding school districts including the ones you mentioned have their pluses and minuses, are all diverse and would probably suit you just fine. Good luck with your decision.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:37 PM

10 posts, read 14,391 times
stay away from Harrisburg City,taxes are high,poor service,Crime and more
if you care about good schools,look into lower paxton twp in colonial park have good schools, or camphill taxes are better than Harrisburg ,lemoyne is nice,but houses there are old,new cumberland ,no near the river,if you want to rent ,townhouse,pennswood apt and other near buy are the best,close to everything ,best luck

Old 01-29-2012, 08:47 PM

42 posts, read 249,523 times
Absolutely want to echo - do NOT move to Harrisburg school district. A big victory there one year was that they had textbooks for all the students. Pitiful. I think Susquehanna Twp is probably the most diverse in the area, and also has good academics.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:55 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,554,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casablanca78 View Post
if you care about good schools,look into lower paxton twp in colonial park have good schools, or camphill taxes are better than Harrisburg ,lemoyne is nice,but houses there are old,new cumberland ,no near the river,if you want to rent ,townhouse,pennswood apt and other near buy are the best,close to everything ,best luck
I agree, look at any district other than Harrisburg City. Do not, under any circumstances, move to Pennswood Apartments. Fires, muggings, vandalism, burglaries, substandard buildings, the list goes on. Look anywhere else.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:09 PM

7 posts, read 17,703 times
Susquehanna Twp or Lower Paxton Twp is your best bet. There are two school districts in Lower Paxton though, Central Dauphin is a better bet then Central Dauphin East school districts, so make sure you pay attention to which side of the line your on.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:14 PM

2 posts, read 7,057 times
Mechanicsburg is a great area with a lot of shopping and places to eat. It's not very diverse but it's a family type of town. Mechanicsburg SD and Cumberland Valley SD are wonderful schools. My daughter goes to Mechanicsburg SD and I went to Cumberland Valley SD so I have experience with both districts. Mechanicsburg is about 20 minutes from the city. Camp Hill is also a great place to raise a family. The school district is very good but does not have any busses so kids walk or parents drive them. It's a matter of preference whether one likes Mechanicsburg or Camp Hill better but both are very safe. Camp hill has a more traffic but it's closer to the city. New Cumberland is also a nice area. I like the "west shore" better than "the east shore."

Old 02-15-2012, 01:18 PM

2 posts, read 7,057 times
In mechanicsburg, rent for a 2br townhouse is typically anywhere from $700-1000 depends on where and how old the complex is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area