U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 07:01 AM

7 posts, read 7,992 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I recently visited Harrisburg for an interview and my wife ended up getting the job. We will be relocating within the next few weeks, but we are at a loss after reading some old threads on this site. The only site that we know to look for apartments/town houses is craigslist, but on an old thread the person said that the places listed there were crap and full of scams.

While I agree that there are TONS of scams (almost all of which are quite noticeable) I feel that I do see some good places, but not many.

I was hoping that you guys could help!

Is there any form of media (other than craigslist) that we can find apartment/town house listings for midtown?

We are looking for as affordable as possible, but we prefer a 2 bedroom town house in the 700-900 range. It MUST be within walking distance to the capitol (within 1.2 miles) and must be in a safe neighborhood (we have an 18 month old and my wife will be walking to work every morning and evening).

If I understand correctly, that means that we should stick between 2nd street and Front street (for safety) ... correct (while we were there we walked down 4th and it creeped us out quite a bit)?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 12:16 PM

69 posts, read 146,107 times
I found my place in Midtown via craigslist, and I've been living here happily for quite a while. Most of Midtown is turn of the century townhomes, some cut up into smaller apartments, and they're usually independently owned and maintained. My landlord only uses craigslist and signs out front to advertise his places. It's been my experience that if they have a few pictures, list a number and address or block number, they're probably legit. Scammers are out there but it's pretty easy to pick out with some internet savvy.

There are two apartment complexes, a high-rise called Towne House Apartments and a mid-rise called the Grayco. Both are good buildings within your price range for a 2 BR. They both have a website I believe, probably can find it through a google search.

For safety, if you're new to the area I would stay along the Front/Second/Penn/Green Street corridors and their cross streets north to around Kelker. It's a safe area, but many people from farther uptown (not a very nice neighborhood) walk through on their way downtown, so occasionally I see some shady people walking or riding their bikes. That being said, almost everyone who lives here in the neighborhood are nice, hard-working people who maintain their homes and try to keep the area clean.

Best of luck on your search, and if you have a question about specific properties or blocks, let me know I'll try to offer advice!

Old 06-18-2012, 01:48 PM

Thanks! I have some more questions though.

How much is the on-street parking for residential areas? I read one advertised apartment that offered free off-street parking that they claimed would save $75 a month, but then I read a document from the city that made it seem like residential parking permits were only $15 ...

Also, is there plenty of parking on residential streets? When we visited we only saw the city and a few busy streets near front and walnut that were lined with a few town houses (but mostly businesses). It seemed like it would be extremely difficult to park a U-Haul and unpack.

Also, what about PODS? With only on-street parking I am not sure this would be possible, but has anyone ever seen anyone use them to move into a place in midtown?

Old 06-19-2012, 04:11 PM

69 posts, read 146,107 times
Parking is pretty tight, having off street parking will save you a lot of headaches, especially if you're getting home late often. I walk downtown or work from home, so usually my car just sits, but when I have to park 2-3 blocks away it's only when I'm late. I believe you're right on the $15 for permits, I don't live in an area that requires it (north of Verbeke they're not necessary), but I've heard it's very cheap. Keep in mind the closer you get to downtown, the more suburban commuters you'll be competing with for parking, so the $75 figure you mentioned may be referring to a commuter lot.

A uhaul truck or trailer would be your best bet for moving day, and you won't have an issue finding a large street spot to park it during a workday. On front st, where there is no parking, I've seen people up on the sidewalk. Your landlord will probably have some move-in procedures or advice.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:22 PM

12,870 posts, read 29,514,357 times
veggie, I apologize for this info not being on the Harrisburg forum, but most of the info here is good for you too: //www.city-data.com/forum/14583252-post2.html

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
veggie, I apologize for this info not being on the Harrisburg forum, but most of the info here is good for you too: //www.city-data.com/forum/14583252-post2.html
Thanks! That helps.

Also, can someone please explain the east-shore and west-shore thing? From what I have heard people on either shore think that they are better than the other side and rarely venture to the other side for much of anything. Is this true? If so, why?

Also, I have seen that there is one health food store in Harrisburg. Has anyone been there and if so, can you tell me about it? Does it have a lot of selections? Is it crazy overpriced?

I have one small health food store in my town now and it is overpriced, but for a store of it's size (MUCH smaller than Whole Foods) it has a decent selection.

Also, I know that there is Riverfront Park that has a nice walking trail, but are there any mountain trails nearby that are good? I have looked on google and it seems like there are a few, but I wanted some personal recommendations!

My wife, my daughter and I are all vegetarian/vegan and enjoy doing things outdoors to be healthy!

Old 06-27-2012, 01:02 PM

24 posts, read 52,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie123 View Post
Thanks! That helps.

Also, can someone please explain the east-shore and west-shore thing? From what I have heard people on either shore think that they are better than the other side and rarely venture to the other side for much of anything. Is this true? If so, why?
People don't cross much because each side has it's own businesses etc to support them. There is also heavy (for the area, it's all relative) congestion at the bridges and other places people cross. Add urban/suburban/rural differences as well as schools, taxes, etc. They are very different places, imho. I live on the west shore but go back and forth quite often.

Quote:

Also, I have seen that there is one health food store in Harrisburg. Has anyone been there and if so, can you tell me about it? Does it have a lot of selections? Is it crazy overpriced?
I haven't been to harrisburg however on the west shore there is the healthy gorcer, wegmans, the large giant, each which have health food and supplements. All within a few miles of each other. Prices are competitive between giant/wegmans. Wegmans is like a whole foods.
Quote:
I have one small health food store in my town now and it is overpriced, but for a store of it's size (MUCH smaller than Whole Foods) it has a decent selection.

Also, I know that there is Riverfront Park that has a nice walking trail, but are there any mountain trails nearby that are good? I have looked on google and it seems like there are a few, but I wanted some personal recommendations!

My wife, my daughter and I are all vegetarian/vegan and enjoy doing things outdoors to be healthy!
There are a lot of trails! The appalachian, hawk rock, tumbling run, pole steeple, etc etc. Hawk rock and tumbling run are near laurel and fuller lakes, about an hour away from harrisburg. Definitely a fun day trip!

Old 06-29-2012, 10:23 PM

40 posts, read 102,810 times
Quote:
Thanks! That helps.

It's tough living in this area as a vegetarian, much harder as vegan. The west shore has an ok health food store, Healthy Grocer. It is very expensive compared to whole foods, but does have sales. Wegmans isn't really like whole foods, it's a massive grocery store with a health food section in the middle. This area is slow to make progress in the hip trendy food department. Great super tiny farmers market on Walnut Street in Camp Hill every Thursday, don't be fooled by the indoor one (not always as locally stocked as it appears). Good luck!

Old 08-09-2012, 12:34 PM

Update:

I just got a place for us to live. We decided to rent in the Shipoke neighborhood. We liked the small feeling of it and we liked that it is a little disconnected from the rest of town. We were going to look at some places in midtown along 2nd, but we looked around and there wasn't anything good (in our opinion) currently available. The only place we could find was attached to a pizza shop and the only entrance was a rather scary looking staircase in the back of the building, which made my wife feel unsafe since she will be walking home from work in the evening.

Anyway, we are looking around the area and really was hoping for a grocery store within walking distance from our place and the only thing that I saw was The Broad Street Market. We went in, but all I saw was some ethnic restaurant stands ... no produce or food. When I look online it looks like there is two buildings ... did I go in the wrong one?

Where was the other building?

Does it actually have produce?

I know that someone mentioned The Healthy Grocer and I am willing to go there, but I am just curious about this one.

Last edited by veggie123; 08-09-2012 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: Oops :)

Old 08-09-2012, 02:31 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,740,478 times
Quote:
Update:

I just got a place for us to live. We decided to rent in the Shipoke neighborhood. We liked the small feeling of it and we liked that it is a little disconnected from the rest of town. We were going to look at some places in midtown along 2nd, but we looked around and there wasn't anything good (in our opinion) currently available. The only place we could find was attached to a pizza shop and the only entrance was a rather scary looking staircase in the back of the building, which made my wife feel unsafe since she will be walking home from work in the evening.

Anyway, we are looking around the area and really was hoping for a grocery store within walking distance from our place and the only thing that I saw was The Broad Street Market. We went in, but all I saw was some ethnic restaurant stands ... no produce or food. When I look online it looks like there is two buildings ... did I go in the wrong one?

Where was the other building?

Does it actually have produce?

I know that someone mentioned The Healthy Grocer and I am willing to go there, but I am just curious about this one.

I'm hoping someone else can give you a better answer, but when I lived there the Broad Street Market always seemed dead. I may not have been hitting it during the right time or season, but it wasn't what I expected at all.

Shipoke is a very nice neighborhood. Just be aware, though, that the area does have a tendency to flood during major storms. (Hopefully we won't have another Tropical Storm Lee this year)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area