U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2012, 08:28 AM

131 posts, read 350,157 times

Advertisements

So if we do move it all depends on if we can find a job. If not, we won't move. So please refrain on jumping on us saying we shouldn't do it without jobs and blah blah. We already know

My husband and I love where we live currently, but the fact of the matter is it's just too damn expensive for us. We are currently living with one of my relatives because renting an apartment here is out of the question for us (at least 1500 for a small 1br with no amenities). I've been thinking of moving to either NJ, CT, NH, or PA and PA seems to be the most affordable. I've been doing some research and I have found a few apartments I really like and will check out next week when I go to Hershey Park. The apartments I found are definitely in our price range and all come with W/D which is a big must for me and hard to find over here.

My main concerns right now is the safety of this area and if there are things to do. We don't really go out partying and clubbing but we also don't like being in the middle of nowhere. Where should I avoid? I've decided to ditch the idea of the first the apartment I liked because it's 3 miles away from Hershey Park and I feel like it would be an annoyance due to the high traffic of tourists trying to get to the park. The apartment is right in between Chocolate Ave and Governors Rd. If I'm wrong about the traffic in that area please let me know.

These are the other apartments I liked, if you can give me some information about any of the addresses listed that would help a lot.

150 Ashlea Gardens, New Holland, PA, 17557
201 Osprey Lane, Hummelstown, PA, 17036
379 Rivermoor Drive, Marietta, PA, 17547
13 Morning Glory Lane, Manheim, PA, 7545
1900 Pineford Drive, Middletown, PA, 17057

Thanks! Also, no children so schools aren't a big concern but I do want a good community college nearby because I'm still in the process of getting my degree in Criminology.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 01:46 AM

25,058 posts, read 24,606,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingpointe516 View Post
So if we do move it all depends on if we can find a job. If not, we won't move. So please refrain on jumping on us saying we shouldn't do it without jobs and blah blah. We already know

My husband and I love where we live currently, but the fact of the matter is it's just too damn expensive for us. We are currently living with one of my relatives because renting an apartment here is out of the question for us (at least 1500 for a small 1br with no amenities). I've been thinking of moving to either NJ, CT, NH, or PA and PA seems to be the most affordable. I've been doing some research and I have found a few apartments I really like and will check out next week when I go to Hershey Park. The apartments I found are definitely in our price range and all come with W/D which is a big must for me and hard to find over here.

My main concerns right now is the safety of this area and if there are things to do. We don't really go out partying and clubbing but we also don't like being in the middle of nowhere. Where should I avoid? I've decided to ditch the idea of the first the apartment I liked because it's 3 miles away from Hershey Park and I feel like it would be an annoyance due to the high traffic of tourists trying to get to the park. The apartment is right in between Chocolate Ave and Governors Rd. If I'm wrong about the traffic in that area please let me know.

These are the other apartments I liked, if you can give me some information about any of the addresses listed that would help a lot.

150 Ashlea Gardens, New Holland, PA, 17557
201 Osprey Lane, Hummelstown, PA, 17036
379 Rivermoor Drive, Marietta, PA, 17547
13 Morning Glory Lane, Manheim, PA, 7545
1900 Pineford Drive, Middletown, PA, 17057

Thanks! Also, no children so schools aren't a big concern but I do want a good community college nearby because I'm still in the process of getting my degree in Criminology.
There's only one community college in the area and that is HACC, Harrisburg Area Community College. They do operate a campus out in Lebanon, which is close to Hershey, but more than likely you will need to take classes at the main Harrisburg campus off Cameron St/I-81. If proximity to community college is a concern (Lebanon/Hershey takes about 20+ minutes depending on traffic) so I would live closer in to Harrisburg if that is a big must. Forget New Holland, Marietta and Manheim, they are much much closer to Lancaster than they are to H'burg-Hershey, although HACC operates their 2nd largest campus in the eastern Lancaster suburbs.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:05 AM

131 posts, read 350,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
There's only one community college in the area and that is HACC, Harrisburg Area Community College. They do operate a campus out in Lebanon, which is close to Hershey, but more than likely you will need to take classes at the main Harrisburg campus off Cameron St/I-81. If proximity to community college is a concern (Lebanon/Hershey takes about 20+ minutes depending on traffic) so I would live closer in to Harrisburg if that is a big must. Forget New Holland, Marietta and Manheim, they are much much closer to Lancaster than they are to H'burg-Hershey, although HACC operates their 2nd largest campus in the eastern Lancaster suburbs.
Well when I lived in Florida my community college was a 30 minute drive, and the one I go to now is around a 10 minute drive but with the NY traffic it's more like 25 minutes so I'm not too concerned about commute times as long as it's less than 40 minutes.

I'm more concerned with living in a safe town that has most conveniences such as nearby supermarkets, restaurants, a mall no more than 10/15 mins away, and maybe a bowling alley. I would like to keep the rent under 800 a month though. I really like the Bryn Mawr/Rosemont area but it is too expensive. Plus my husband is obsessed with fishing and I figured he'd like being nearby a Bass Pro :P LOL. Which leads me to another thing I forgot to mention. Where would the best lakes for freshwater fishing be in PA? We don't have to live near them, but if you know of some good ones that'd be great so he can go fishing when we visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area