Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2012, 11:13 AM

12 posts, read 44,882 times

Advertisements

I'm fairly new to posting on these forums, but have been a long-time reader/browser. My husband and I are a bit sick of the cost of living (among other things) in DC and we're thinking of moving to the Harrisburg area (though extending our search outward to Gettysburg, York, Carlisle, etc.) in the next few years. We are from PA and have family in this area and think it would be great to get back there when we start a family.

My question is though, what should we expect in terms of income and mortage/rent prices? If we have kids, I'd love to be able to stay at home, and down here it's just not possible. We're hoping in an area with a lower cost of living, we'd be able to make it work. How much income would my husband have to bring in for us to afford to be a single-income family? We're not extravagant people and live fairly modestly right now, saving more than we spend, etc.

I realize this is a VERY general question and there are a TON of factors to consider, but I'm hoping for some examples based on personal experience or just overall thoughts of how families make this work in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 04:14 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,713,370 times
That's way too general to answer any more directly than the various home affordability indices (that typically do rate the Harrisburg area well), but there are some NoVA cost of living and traffic refugees I know of in the area and stay-at-home parents seem more common too. Some stories of direct experience might be interesting but that's not the direction I came from so I can't really say.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:52 PM

69 posts, read 166,406 times
The best I can say is that, yes cost of living is less here, and yes the pace of life is slower here. You would be pushing it commuting to DC but many people do Baltimore or other northern MD suburbs from the York/Hanover/Gettysburg areas. There are a wide range of neighborhoods and housing prices in the vast Southcentral PA region, but you'd definitely be able to find a nice small-ish 3br house in a good school district and safe area for under $200,000 to put things in perspective. Depends on what you're comfortable with, you could spend a lot more. You'd probably pay less in Carlisle, Gettysburg, Hanover than you would surrounding York and Harrisburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area