U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2012, 06:11 PM

14 posts, read 27,884 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating from Cleveland OH to the Harrisburg/Hershey Area over the holidays. We are not really sure whether to go private or public schools, as we have a 4th grader and kindergartner. It's easy enough to find good info on public schools on the Internet, but I'd like to get some feedback from people who actually live in this area vs. looking at test scores. We are leaning private catholic school but wouldn't mind saving a few dollars if we can find a comfortable public school.

Also, my 4th grade daughter is a very good cross country/track runner at her current catholic school in Cleveland. She truly loves running, especially cross country, and finding an elementary school that offers track and cross country would be a huge plus.

Any suggestions or comments would be very helpful in picking a place for us to move.

Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 06:35 AM

4,268 posts, read 10,658,608 times
Derry Township (Hershey) and Lower Dauphin are considered the "best" schools in the Harrisburg East Shore (east of the Susquehanna River) suburban area, typically Camp Hill (small) and Cumberland Valley (big) in the West Shore part of the metro. In PA schools are zoned by municipal location (i.e. borough, township) and not by postal address, it's possible for both of Lower Dauphin school with a Hershey address and Hershey school with a Hummelstown address.

I have not heard that Hershey has a 4th grade cross country team (if it did I might want to sign my daughter up for it). Hershey public school still only has 1/2 day kindergarten, it's fairly common for those wanting all day K to sign up for either St. Joan of Arc Welcome to St. Joan of Arc School - Hershey, PA or Hershey Christian Hershey Christian School | Caring Teachers. Small Classes. Christian World View schools for kindergarten then move into the Derry Twp public schools for 1st grade.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area