Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2013, 04:36 PM

4 posts, read 5,909 times

Advertisements

Looking for some guidance......

My husband was recently offered a job at Hershey Medical Center and we are looking for an area to live. We would like to keep the commute under 30 minutes but prefer country living over residing in the heart of town. We have lived in the mountains of Western North Carolina (just outside Cherokee) for over twenty years and want to be in a wooded area with at least some rolling hills for scenery. Zero lot line subdivisions do not interest us. We have two elementary aged children so excellent school districts are also very important. We would prefer a small town feel, but close enough to the conveniences of modern civilization. (I know this is everyone else's dream too..... but thought I would throw it out there! )

Any advice or helpful pointers would be greatly appreciated. We are excited for a new chapter in our life, but want to know as much as possible about the area before we settle down.

Thanks in advance!

Mountain Mom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 04:56 PM

Just saw this - hope it helps!

When are you moving? Summer 2013
Where are you coming from? Western North Carolina
Why are you moving? Job Offer
Where will you be working? My husband will be in Hershey - I will find a part time job after we get settled
Have you been here yet? Never - excited to visit!

Will you buy or rent? Rent for a year and then buy

If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? House - under $400,000

If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? Renting - no more than $1500 for a three/ four bedroom

Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? Walk up - no condos

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married - two kids

Do you prefer public or private schools? Public

Do you have pets? 2 small dogs

Do you want or need a yard? Yes - would love an acre or more

Are you keeping a car? 2 cars

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Calm and quiet

What do you want to be closest to? Schools for the kids - everyday shopping - grocery, etc.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Doesn't matter - we have experienced both!

Old 01-15-2013, 07:47 AM

175 posts, read 590,109 times
Check out the Annville area. That would be my target area to live if I worked at Hershey.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:20 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,786,314 times
Renting single homes seems to be difficult around here especially with some space, a yard in town where houses might be rented might be 50 x 50 if you're lucky.

Some parts of the southern/western areas of Derry Township (mostly with a Hummelstown 17036 postal address) have 2 acre zoning and somewhat irregular lot configurations in a hilly area within the highly rated Hershey schools and close proximity to the medical center.

Adjacent areas just to the south in Londonderry and Conewago Townships (mix of Hummelstown, Middletown, Elizabethtown, and even Hershey postal addresses) are in the also highly rated Lower Dauphin school district and don't quite have the price premium of Derry.

Believe it or not much of this area is in the "Pennsylvania Highlands" so called by conservationists with too much time sitting staring at a GIS screen, see map http://www.outdoors.org/conservation..._Trail_Are.jpg

Due to poor road configuration you could be 10 miles away from the med center in a straight line near Elizabethtown or Annville and have 45 minute+ commutes to normal day shift at the med center, try the rush hour drive before you buy.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:49 PM

Thank you both for the feedback! I will look into both Annville and Hummelstown and report back.... definitely don't want the longer commute though, so the rush hour test run is an excellent suggestion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area