Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 09:00 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

I like the idea of the governor living among the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 12:09 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1timbo1 View Post
The Governor's Mansion seems like it's own little gated community that takes up an entire city block. I love going on jogs around that area and have the guards stare me down from their posts. It would really be nice if they patrolled the area around it, because it's not very friendly.

That cheapo house you're referring to could have many, many issues. First of all, that area is very flood prone. Just look at some of the Agnes pictures and you may think twice about moving to that block of Penn Street, it could have major structural issues. Second, I'd personally have an issue with townhomes tightly packed along an alley street which barely has room for one line of parked cars. Third, that area is filled with low income rentals, so I guess to address the OP, yes the Governor lives in a slum. The redevelopment is mostly occurring south of Maclay, specifically the 1800/1900 Blocks of 2nd/Penn/Green/Susquehanna/3rd.

Honestly if I had the money right now I'd rather buy a 60-80K home south of Maclay, towards HACC. I think there's a lot of potential there. However, the uptown area will take a lot longer to turn around.
That's what I was thinking. I wouldn't buy a home in an alley in that neighborhood.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:33 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Well, Atlanta and Harrisburg are not exactly in the same league.. Granted, they are both capital cities, but that is where the comparisons end. The population of Harrisburg is less than 50k people, whereas Atlanta is the unofficial capital of the South, and a metro of over 5 million people.
When these mansions were built 45 years ago Pennsylvania was twice the population of Georgia, and all of Georgia had fewer than 5 million people.

I guess that whatever process that went into locating the governors mansion led one state to put it downtown, and the other to locate it in the boondocks. I am sure that neighborhood (10 miles from downtown) wasn't quite that pricey in the late 60's. Robert Foster Maddox , mayor from 1909 – 1911 had an estate out there.

It appears that you are not alone in not wanting this big estate. It went on the market for $25 million in October 2009 and is still for sale for $20 million.

My brother has a contract to do some home networking on a home called “Le Rêve” in Cumming GA. The home cost $50 million to build and was sold by the bank for $11.5 million in foreclosure. So in general, I am not sure that these mega mansions are good investments.

Frankly, given that kind of money, it would be more fun to have two or three apartments in different cities, than to have a home with an acre of square footage. There is one guy dubbed, "the homeless billionaire" who just owns a jet and stays in nice hotels.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:16 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
When these mansions were built 45 years ago Pennsylvania was twice the population of Georgia, and all of Georgia had fewer than 5 million people.
Population of Atlanta in 1970: 496,973 (higher than its current population, btw)

Population of Harrisburg in 1970: 68,061

Besides being the state capital, Harrisburg was not necessarily the dominant city in its region. It's too close to larger, more significant cities such as Philly and Baltimore. Even within central / eastern PA, it was historically overshadowed by larger cities such as Reading. Atlanta has been the dominant city in Georgia and the South for a very long time. You'd have to go back well over a hundred years to find a time when a city like Savannah (much more comparable to Harrisburg than Atlanta, being smaller and the first state capital of Georgia) was the dominant city. The question should really be why Harrisburg does not compare more favorably to Savannah than it does. I think the reason is that in PA there are so many historic, urban cities, whereas Savannah is more unique within its region. Architecturally, they have more in common than you would expect.

Last edited by PreservationPioneer; 03-02-2013 at 08:34 PM..

Old 03-04-2013, 02:02 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Population of Atlanta in 1970: 496,973
Population of Harrisburg in 1970: 68,061

Besides being the state capital, Harrisburg was not necessarily the dominant city in its region.
Atlanta had 7 times the population in 16 times the area. Harrisburg was still twice as dense.

But Pennsylvania was the 3rd largest state in 1970 behind NY and CA. There was a conscious decision to build the governor's mansion in the middle of a crowded city very close to the capital, while Georgia chose to build in a remote location miles from downtown.

One would also expect the Governor's Mansion to reflect the economic power and prestige of the State, and not the capital city. That said, the century old Governor's Mansion in Alaska is pretty large considering the territory had roughly 60K people when it was built
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area