U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 12:31 PM

4 posts, read 5,943 times

Advertisements

I actually commute to Harriburg from philadelphia for work. It hasn't gotten to me yet. I've been doing it for a while now. I have a routine. I sleep on the train in the morning and in the evening I read/surf the net, get some work done. Eventually, I may stick with the position and move up in the job or entirely leave the position and move to the DC area as I have always wanted to do. Anyway, below are my answers. Give me some insights on locations I can keep in my radar:

When are you moving? Perhaps 1.5 years from now
Where are you coming from? Philadelphia
Why are you moving? To be closer to work (I work in Harrisburg)
Where will you be working? Harrisburg (maybe, if I move up higher in job position)
Have you been here yet? Yes, I work here

Will you buy or rent? Most likely rent
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? N/A
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? Apartment is fine. A loft would be nice. I would spend at max $950/mo (that’s if there are some utilities included) $750 - $800 without utilities included.
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? Walk Up. High Rise is ok if it’s luxury (stainless steel, gym on the first floor, a parking garage)

Are you married or single? Do you have children? As of now, single and no children
Do you prefer public or private schools? n/a
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard? No. A patio would be nice
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Definitely Bustling

What do you want to be closest to?
Work – I don’t necessarily need to be close to work (45min drive would be my max. Ideal would be 20 minutes or less)
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
(restaurants, bistro, café mostly. I really don’t care about the club scene too much)
Train or subway stations 20 to 30 min ride on the train would be ideal

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? ---Diverse Neighborhood definitely.

Phillies, Pirates or Mets?----HA HA! I am a Patriots fan and Boston Celtics fine…so, doesn’t matter to me. I don’t care for baseball. However, Philadelphia teams come second on my list

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 01:13 PM

69 posts, read 152,425 times
If you search around a bit, you'll find several threads describing life in Downtown/Midtown Harrisburg. These are the neighborhoods where most professionals live if they live within city proper. If your single, job downtown (I'm assuming it is because you take the train), like the vibrancy and diversity of city living, certainly consider it as you'll have no problem with your price range (especially considering how much you'd save on the train pass). To sum up the area, it's a network of small towns with sprawl in between, devoid of anything "diverse" or "bustling" save for Downtown Harrisburg. It's certainly no Philly or DC, so keep that in mind when making plans. A lot of folks actually find it to be quite a culture shock, a lot of others love it, all depends. Good luck with your decision.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area