Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 08:57 PM

8 posts, read 9,621 times

Advertisements

I'll be relocating to York (city) in a few months and hope that someone can help answer a few questions for me!!!

Where's the best affordable child care?
Is the York City school district sub par?
What is there to do in the area?
Best pediatricians/doctors?

Anything you can share would be great. My kids and I are excited for the move!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 09:12 AM

121 posts, read 260,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvobx View Post
I'll be relocating to York (city) in a few months and hope that someone can help answer a few questions for me!!!

Where's the best affordable child care?
Can't answer this one.

Quote:
Is the York City school district sub par?
Yes, and its really apparent because of how good the rest of the county schools are.

Quote:
What is there to do in the area?
Lots of things, it might be easier to list the things you enjoy doing and someone can give a yes/no answer.

Quote:
Best pediatricians/doctors?
Springdale Pediatrics

Hope these help, and welcome to the area!

Old 04-12-2013, 08:50 PM

8 posts, read 9,621 times
Thanks so much for the welcome! I'm super excited!

Why oh why does the district I'm moving to have to be the least performing??? Ugh! Is there open enrollment? Say I would want to self transport...is this possible?

As for what I like to do...I have two children so anything fun, possibly a learning experience, museums, zoo's, parks...etc.

While I'm thinking of it, what are the phone and cable companies down there?

Thanks so much for your help

Old 04-13-2013, 07:44 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,943,958 times
No open enrollment, you can tuition and transport if it's in your budget. Just because you're moving to York doesn't mean you have to live in the city limits (downtown) York itself. There are more homes with York mailing addresses that actually fall into other school districts. Depending on your actual address, you could have a York mailing address and be in any of the following school districts; Red Lion, Dallastown, Central York, West York, Northeastern or York Suburban. Any of them are better than York City schools. There is always the option for your children to attend Charter Schools, but their results are not proving to be much better. PA spends an inordinate amount of time teaching to the test and then utilizing test results to evaluate school performance.

Day care options~many churches have day care programs, the Y's, the JCC, and York Day Nursery all have good reputations. You should be able to find a list in the Yellow pages or searching on-line.

For things to do: there are some great parks with play structures, you're within driving distance to Lancaster and Gettysburg for child friendly activities and museums (Lancaster has Hands on House, Science Factory, farms of the Amish, Landis Valley Museum etc.) Gettysburg has the land of little horses and. There's the zoo in Baltimore and also the aquarium. Central Market is open 3 days a week and often has programs for families. The York fair goes for 10 days in September. There is a rail trail for hiking/biking, and the YMCA and YWCA offer family activities. T-ball and Soccer are usually offered by local townships and communities and there are a number of swim clubs for summer recreation.

The phone/internet company monopoly is Verizon, and the TV cable is Comcast/Infinity. There are others, but these two are the most prevalent. As a new customer you should be able to get a deal for having all 3 together~comcast usually has a triple play offer of TV/internet/phone offerings for new customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area