U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2013, 06:32 PM

3 posts, read 3,955 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, I am new to this forum. I am going to move to hershey around June or July. I am planning to buy a house near the Penn State Hershey Medical Center. There are so many towns around it. I just wonder Hummelstown, Hershey, and Palmyra. I realized that the house in Palmyra tends to have a lower price, and is there a reason for that? Different county? School district? Crime rate? or what? And Hummelstown looks very old, and house prices tend to be higher.

I am looking for a townhouse or single family house, where should i choose to live? Anyhow, i know condo and house are two different property types, but is there any pro and con for each of them? It seems most people do not prefer condo type, and any reason for that?

Moreover, how flexible the house price is? I learned that the listing prices always higher than the actual values, but how should I make an offer without making the seller feel insulted. Does 5-10% reduction count for lowball offer?

A thing surprised me while my house seeking research. I focused on a townhouse, which had 170k listing price. I really like it and I contacted the agent, but she told me the listing just went under a contract. I was very depressed, but I found out online, the deal price is on 110K!!!!! Is is too ridiculous? Does the price that flexible and unreal?

Thanks for looking and waiting your responses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 06:03 AM

645 posts, read 1,258,549 times
Palmyra is in Lebanon County, which is why the price is different. From my point of view, there's not much difference between Hershey, Hummesltown, and Palmyra. All three areas fall into different school districts, but each school is pretty close, the demographics of each town is about the same, and so is the rate of crime. Hershey has a more uppity feel to it.

Granted, it's been twenty years, but I've lived in all three towns, and this is what I'm basing my experience on. I dislike public schooling, and I'm Catholic. Furthermore, in my youth, I would only marry and date a Catholic woman, so my ex was Italian, who also went to Catholic school, so we sent our son to Saint Joan. Had it not been for this, I'd have had no qualms about sending the kid to Hershey, Palmyra, or Lower Dauphin in Hummelstown.

Over the past thirty years, the areas just north and especially south of Palmyra saw a boom in new housing. Three to four miles east on 322 lies a town called Campbelltown. It's roughly the same as the areas you're looking into.

Lawn, Upper Lawn, Colebrook, Mt Wilson, Mt Gretna, Cornwall, and Quentin are areas in Southern Lebanon County that aren't bad areas. They're similar to what you've mentioned, but they lie in the middle of nowhere, yet they're only 5 - 15 minutes away from the towns you're speaking of.

In Dauphin County, a lot of suburban developments have gone up within the past thirty years, and these lie just north and west of Hummesltown.

I have no clue what the taxes are like in the areas I've just listed, but I would imagine that they're well below what the rates are in Hershey. This area's pretty diverse, and what I mean by that is that in fifteen minutes, you can be in a run down black section of Harrisburg, a white hillbilly gun toting town, uppity liberal sandal and sock wearing artsy fartsy section, run of the mill white suburban development, or a ten cent millionaire developement. That aspect of this area has always made me marvel.

Either area you mentioned is about the same. I think the only difference will be price tag and taxes. My only caveat would be traffic. The areas you're speaking about see some rather heavy congestion during 9 - 5 working hours. Most of the roads precede cars, and those roads built from the 1930s - 1950s were sufficient during those years, but the post WWII housing boom really developed this area, while at the same time these towns lost their trolley and train lines, so morning commutes into Hershey and afternoon commutes out of the area will definitely see enough traffic to add 20 - 30 minutes to your driving time. Furthermore, the Hershey area sees heavy traffic during the summertime due to Hershey Park and other events that are held there with regularity. Once you're familiar with the area, this congestion can be circumnavigated via less traveled back roads.

To view some of the areas I've spoken of, just use Bing maps or Google Earth because you should be able to find some area you'll like within five miles of Hershey. If you must be in a town, I'd recommend Palmyra and Hummesltown over Hershey. Hershey don't really have a "downtown" feature, so you'll have to drive everyplace you go whereas in Palmyra and Hummestown, you can walk from your home to do light shopping in the handful of stores that dot main street.

I hope some of this information helped you and was what you were looking for. If not, perhaps you could adds some details, and somebody else could help.

Cheers,
bolillo_loco

By the way, I've seen a few relatives sell their homes in southern Lebanon County. One of them was in Palmdale, between Palmyra and Hershey. It sold for 120k, but was listed at 159k. That was in 2010. The other one was in the middle of nowhere, and it sold for 110k, but was much nicer than the one in Palmdale. I've no clue how to haggle home prices, but I'd imagine you can chisel them down. Just keep making offers. All they can do is say no.

Last edited by bolillo_loco; 04-25-2013 at 06:07 AM.. Reason: No Rhodes scholar here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area