Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2013, 03:39 PM

6 posts, read 9,511 times

Advertisements

My first issue with my landlord is,I complained to inspections about landlord letting tenant keep front door unlocked(she left note telling me that she wanted quicker access because always has too much stuff in hands including her 3 yr old.So she wanted door unlocked from 9am to 9pm),and when I came back from work today,I found hole in door where deadbolt used to be.He removed lockto retaliate. Rain water comes through cracks at top of window frame, in two rooms, and inspections passed him eventhough you can see water spots at the top of frame. Next to the second window frame in room two,the water seeps underneath frame and under paint to make pockets. One of the pockets opened and damaged wall. Now there are black mold spots in corners and next to pocket. I left note for inspections and landlord removed them,but inspector could clearly see issues. They passed landlord because he is friends with inspection manager. When I made repair requests before he said"No", and when I exercised my tenant right he said No! When I told him I was going to inspections, he entered my apt without telling me and changed things. Fine but why not tell me and act like it was already done prior. The bldg has five apts and only two tenants, why, because he is a slumlord.Someone I know viewed one of the apts and told me that he would never rent from landlord because,apt smelled like cat ****, and nothing was fixed. Landlord owns restaurant next to apt bldg, and tells staff my personal information, they walk in and out of apt bldg everyday, and smoke outside of my window.Why because he is friends with inspection manager.Now, I have noticed bugs in my apt, and they were not there before. The handymen damage things in apt,not mine so far but they for example scraped door, leave trash in my apt,marks on wall. So what to do when inspection office manager is friends with landlord,and lets him slide on violations?

Last edited by Ryose; 06-25-2013 at 04:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 12:26 AM

25 posts, read 45,081 times
i'd probably move. break your lease and go. it doesn't sound like the inspector or the landlord will do anything to help you.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:52 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,941,289 times
Housing Authority in the town/borough or county in which you reside. Call them, they will oversee inspector. I would take pictures, document and move. You are entitled to a safe and habitable place to live according to the law.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:44 PM

Question Bad Landlord in Midtown Update

Since my last post, I have filed four complaints with Hbg Codes and they are protecting the landlords (husband and wife). Inspector came to my apt and didnt even look at complaints. He instead cited landlords with a smoke detector,and electrical outlets(landlord replaced three,two of which I dont use). Meanwhile,the mold in bedroom two is still there,and windows still leak like a waterfall(literally). I tried getting help from Hbg EPA,they gave number for DC EPA instead,and the secretary there wouldn't let me speak to anyone.I tried the PA Attorney Gen office three times and nothing,I tried PA Dept of Health no response.I even tried city managers. I wrote to landlords in last letter and gave them until July 12, to make repairs,they did nothing except send me two letters and had their handyman take a sign down I had put up for inspector on July 11,2013, for the" fake follow up" inspection. I told landlords that they had until July 12 to make repairs or I will withhold rent,I got the two letters,and no repairs. Hbg Codes is protecting landlords because they have money and political ties (they live in affluent community). Meanwhile I cant even go into room 2 because of mold. So what do you do when your city gov agency decides to ignore a mold and leaking windows issue for money and political ties? I would appreciate all input,especially all legal.

Last edited by Ryose; 07-13-2013 at 07:59 PM..

Old 07-15-2013, 09:06 PM

Pictures are in my album. Click on name and album

Old 07-30-2013, 05:55 PM

Update: I gave both landlords my thirty days notice on July 22, 2013, and my last day in this moldy apt is Aug. 24th. What confirmed my decision was two weeks ago I went to Hbg city codes to, request a copy of the "f/u inspection" and one of the inspectors(bald) along with their secretary tried to keep me from filing a complaint, and requesting my inspection report. The inspector told me that I didn't have a right to a copy of report for my apt, eventhough pa law says I do have a right. I know that he was lying because I had already gotten a copy a previous apt's report, and had received a copy of the first report for this apt, I had to stand a desk in their office until they gave it to me. The inspector tried to kerp me from filing a fifth complaint by calling the inspector of the previous inspection"Hey shes trying to file another complaint" is what the inspector told the inspector who did inspection on phone. They both stated on phone that the Windows need to be replaced,the whole window because of leaks. They always knew,and they know about mold,because the inspector in the office asked me uf I still had a issue with leaks and mold. The landlords are negligent and so is codes.As of today,mold is still in apt,leaks still exist,and codes is still protecting landlords. But as of Aug. 24th I will have a new apt that is free of mold. I went over the new apt thoroughly. I deserve a safe place. But I just want to say this, if you think that city codes will help you,think again.And each PA agency that should be helping,could care less.Peace

Old 08-05-2013, 06:55 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,921,089 times
Sometimes all you can do is move out. If the law is being broken, file a civil suit under the Pennsylvania Landlord-Tenant Act:

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploa...tenant_act.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area