Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 08:15 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times

Advertisements

I may have a job opportunity South of Wilkes-Barre, and if it comes through, the thought is to split the commute with my girlfriend, who works in Harrisburg, between the Colonial Park/Linglestown Area/anywhere else inside civilization close to I-81. All ostensible midway points appear to be in the middle of nowhere.

According to Google Maps, the drive would take about 75 minutes (90% highway driving) each way. I can handle this as long as this is a genuine reverse-commute that won't be much worse during rush hour.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 06:47 PM

24 posts, read 59,126 times
It's an easy but incredibly boring drive either way.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:11 AM

29 posts, read 48,351 times
if you truly wanted to split the commute, you would live somewhere north of reading or west of Allentown, lots of suburbs and civilization out in those areas. she would take 78 to 81. if you want to stay closer to Harrisburg, Grantville might be an ok option.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleHelix View Post
It's an easy but incredibly boring drive either way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtownsucks46 View Post
if you truly wanted to split the commute, you would live somewhere north of reading or west of Allentown, lots of suburbs and civilization out in those areas. she would take 78 to 81. if you want to stay closer to Harrisburg, Grantville might be an ok option.
Interesting. I posted this same thread in the NEPA forum, and people overwhelmingly said the commute would be a tough one. Have either of you had experience with this commute?

Reading/Allentown would be a bit too far for my girlfriend, who works inconsistent hours (often night shifts). I'd be doing a pretty regular 9-5 or 6 deal, so it makes more sense for me to have the longer drive.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:31 PM

5 posts, read 4,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Interesting. I posted this same thread in the NEPA forum, and people overwhelmingly said the commute would be a tough one. Have either of you had experience with this commute?

Reading/Allentown would be a bit too far for my girlfriend, who works inconsistent hours (often night shifts). I'd be doing a pretty regular 9-5 or 6 deal, so it makes more sense for me to have the longer drive.

There is nothing easy in any way shape or form about that commute. It would take at least 1.5 each way, and that's providing there isn't any hiccup. Incidentally, there is alot of activty right now along 81, it seems there is an uptick every 6 months or so. That's not even factoring in the weather. I did a stretch on 81 once, during aug to dec my commute was supposed to be 1 hour and 40 minutes it took about that, then from dec-march it was supposed to stay the same I was averaging a ride of 2 hours and 2 minutes each way.

Easy it certainly is not.

As to the other comment, I would agree Allentown might be a bit far from Harrisburg but it does offer a lot as far as things for you to do when you are off from work, you could always do the commute to see your girlfriend instead of vice-versa if you were that desperate to see her one night and her schedule was confliting with the commute time.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginandtonic View Post
There is nothing easy in any way shape or form about that commute. It would take at least 1.5 each way, and that's providing there isn't any hiccup. Incidentally, there is alot of activty right now along 81, it seems there is an uptick every 6 months or so. That's not even factoring in the weather. I did a stretch on 81 once, during aug to dec my commute was supposed to be 1 hour and 40 minutes it took about that, then from dec-march it was supposed to stay the same I was averaging a ride of 2 hours and 2 minutes each way.

Easy it certainly is not.

As to the other comment, I would agree Allentown might be a bit far from Harrisburg but it does offer a lot as far as things for you to do when you are off from work, you could always do the commute to see your girlfriend instead of vice-versa if you were that desperate to see her one night and her schedule was confliting with the commute time.
Yeah, I already came to the conclusion that I'd probably need to suck it up and live in Jim Thorpe, or Wilkes-Barre proper, or wherever else nice enough that isn't too far from work (which would be in the Hazleton Area). I'd probably high-tail it back to Harrisburg (or Philly) on weekends. I'm familiar enough with the Lehigh Valley to know that while there are certainly far worse areas to live, for me, its additional amenities would be nowhere near worth the hour-plus one-way commute.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:58 PM

5 posts, read 4,298 times
Yeeks job in Hazeltown and living in Jim Thorpe? Is the job a sure thing?

Between the two I'd recommend living in Wilkes-Barre, Jim Thorpe's great if you like skiing if you don't well, that's basically all there is.....

If the job isn't a sure thing, I'd say stick to Philadelphia, in either of those two places the job is going to be looooooooooooooong. I'm mean honestly even Harrisburg is on the ****ty side. For my money it's Philadelphia and nothing else, maybe Pittsburgh (but that would be a temporary thing for me). I've been to maybe 50-55 places in PA and Philly is the only place I could see anyone living in on a long term basis. But for help ranking would be:

Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Wilkes-Barre
Jim Thorpe

Hazleton (Seriously...do...not...live....in.... Hazleton.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginandtonic View Post
Yeeks job in Hazeltown and living in Jim Thorpe? Is the job a sure thing?

Between the two I'd recommend living in Wilkes-Barre, Jim Thorpe's great if you like skiing if you don't well, that's basically all there is.....

If the job isn't a sure thing, I'd say stick to Philadelphia, in either of those two places the job is going to be looooooooooooooong. I'm mean honestly even Harrisburg is on the ****ty side. For my money it's Philadelphia and nothing else, maybe Pittsburgh (but that would be a temporary thing for me). I've been to maybe 50-55 places in PA and Philly is the only place I could see anyone living in on a long term basis. But for help ranking would be:

Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Wilkes-Barre
Jim Thorpe

Hazleton (Seriously...do...not...live....in.... Hazleton.
I haven't gotten the job yet, but it would be a one-year gig that would prove extremely beneficial to my career in the long-term. I'm partial to Philly and Pittsburgh myself (love 'em both equally), but I can take a year living in one of Pennsylvania's smaller cities in order to reap the long-term gains.

And while I'm not a huge fan of Harrisburg, it does have a lot to offer for having a core city of only 50,000 (just enough to keep me occupied).

Old 09-05-2013, 01:19 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
Although this should probably be merged with the more active topic thread in the NEPA forum I also wonder if the OP has looked at Bloomsburg or Stroudsburg areas as a living alternative for a Hazleton commute

Old 09-05-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Although this should probably be merged with the more active topic thread in the NEPA forum I also wonder if the OP has looked at Bloomsburg or Stroudsburg areas as a living alternative for a Hazleton commute
Stroudsburg's a bit far. Bloomsburg seems like it could be close enough (depending on how bad traffic is during peak commute times).

I'll think about it more if/when I get the job. In the meantime, I know that I'd need to stay reasonably close in order to have a commute that won't make me want to tear my hair out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area