U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2013, 07:54 PM

97 posts, read 156,634 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! My family is most likely relocating to the Lancaster area. Right now we live in Toms River NJ, at the beach. We are looking for a change for our family. We have a 17 month old son and want the best for him. We are looking to move to a slower paced place with a nice walkable downtown area and things to do for families! Don't get me wrong, living at the beach definitely has its perks, but it has become so crowded and expensive that we can't make it here anymore. A nice town with open space is what we are looking for. Anyway, I am 30 and my husband is 32 and we enjoy going to places like New Hope, PA, Portsmouth, NH, etc. Our idea of a good time is dinner and a craft beer. We went to Lancaster many times when we were dating and always enjoyed it. The many breweries in the area is a plus to us too We would be renting first before/if we buy to make sure we love it. So basically I have 2 questions. 1) Where is a good rental community where we would mostly be for 1 year.. and 2) where would you place us to buy according to the sticky I filled out below? Any input is greatly appreciated. When are you moving? ~ Within 3 months but probably sooner. My husband has a job interview next week Where are you coming from? ~ Toms River, NJ (the beach) Why are you moving? ~ to have a better life for our family and we are tired of the lack of jobs, congestion, house prices and taxes. Where will you be working? ~ husband is in construction and sales (he will be doing one or the other) I am a teacher Have you been here yet? ~ Yes, we have family in Lititz and Mohrsville (North of Reading) Will you buy or rent? RENT FIRST THEN BUY.. BUT I'M FILLING THIS OUT LIKE WE ARE LOOKING FOR OUR FOREVER PLACE TO LIVE IF WE BUY. We will rent first (for a year) to make sure we want to buy If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? ~ A home under $300 with around an acre of land.. at least 1/2 an acre. If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? ~ Looking for something with 2 bedrooms in a quiet community. We would love to be under $1200 and Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? ~ not sure.. Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married with a 17 month old son Do you prefer public or private schools? public Do you have pets? yes, Greyhound and cats Do you want or need a yard? If renting we wouldn't have one I assume but when/if we buy.. yes a yard Are you keeping a car? yes Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? We want to be a short ride to bustling.. or to something like Lititz downtown area but want to live on a decent area of land when/if we buy What do you want to be closest to? My husband most likely will be working in Lancaster, so I guess work, but he has no problem traveling. Work: When I find a teaching job, I’d like to be close to work, but not sure where that job would be Shopping Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) Nightlife Train or subway stations Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Being near young families with kids would be great. Phillies, Pirates or Orioles? Phillies!

Last edited by Jenkill83; 10-29-2013 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: there are no spaces between questions!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 07:57 PM

I have no idea why everything looks like a giant paragraph... that is not how I made it at all. I kept the same format as the sticky for new posters suggested. I copied and pasted it. I'm sorry!!

Old 10-30-2013, 04:31 PM

2,048 posts, read 5,352,500 times
The best school district is Manheim Township, so you might want to look in that area. Mainly north of 30 (Oregon Pike, Fruitville Pike, and to the west of 222). Lots of choices for you and you'll be close to 30, the Mall, doctors and hospital, stores, downtown etc. The area out by the outlets/motels and tourist attractions would be as congested as NJ. You can probably substitute teach until you find something permanent, unfortunately PA districts are cutting positions and bumping people around, not replacing retirees etc.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:20 PM

Thank you for your help teachbeach! Do you happen to know of nice apartment complexes in the areas you suggested? That's what were doing right now. My husband is going out in 1 week for an interview and will check some complexes out.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:12 PM

2,048 posts, read 5,352,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkill83 View Post
Thank you for your help teachbeach! Do you happen to know of nice apartment complexes in the areas you suggested? That's what were doing right now. My husband is going out in 1 week for an interview and will check some complexes out.
No, I'm sorry I don't know of any particular places off hand, but anything in those areas would be fine. You had mentioned Lititz in a post somewhere~that would be a great starter community in that they have a walkable downtown, lots of community activities, a nice community center with tons of program offerings. Warwick schools are good, but Manheim Township seems to rate slightly better. There are back roads from Lititz that would get your husband to Lancaster for work, and you'd still be no further than 30 minutes from the bustle of Route 30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area