U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2013, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,302 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We are looking at moving up from NOVA to the York, Pa area (as far north as Northern suburbs of Harrisburg, as fart East as Lancaster area). My wife wants to be closer to family.

What areas are considered the best school districts/area's to live? Our housing budget is between 250-350k. I typically work from home so a commute is generally not an issue.

I am looking for more suburban not rural.

17050 Mechanicsburg, Cumberland Valley School district seemed rated pretty good and had a good selection of housing. How is this area considered?

17033 Hershey, Hershey school district was rated very good but much less housing selection and I'm guessing it is much more rural.

Are there any other Zip codes/school districts that stand out as a top area to move to?

Best regards
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 04:32 PM

26 posts, read 34,413 times
17011, camp hill school district or west shore school district would also be good

Hershey isn't necessarily more rural, but is farther from York, than Mechanicsburg or Camp Hill

Old 12-13-2013, 12:15 PM

121 posts, read 213,770 times
All the areas you listed aren't really York, infact neither are in York County. If you are looking at York county specifically:

Your housing budget will easily get you most places in the county. If you're looking for more suburban area than rural, check out the Dallastown area, specifically the York Township area just south of York. The schools are rated as one of the best in the county as well (although, the only school districts I would outright avoid in the county are the York and Hanover City school districts). Anything in York Suburban school district too, as it includes some nice neighborhoods on the east and south sides of York. West York isn't too bad either once you get directly out of the city. The suburbs in the Shiloh area are all nice, and there are some good neighborhoods in Central SD, which would be on the northside of route 30.

Like I said, with your budget, there are plenty of good options.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:16 PM

2,048 posts, read 5,350,965 times
If you really plan on being in York, the top three districts (in no order) are Central, Dallastown and York Suburban. York Suburban has had a long history of being an excellent system, but for overall offerings in academics, athletics, extracurricular as well as student diversity I would select Dallastown or Central York.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:38 PM

2 posts, read 3,559 times
You should consider Dallastown - just south of York city. It has the top award-winning schools in york county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area