U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2013, 03:32 PM

34 posts, read 62,391 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am planning on relocating with my wife to Lancaster city for a job and was hoping to live walking distance from my office (middle of Downtown Lancaster). My question is, what areas of downtown Lancaster are "not safe" that I should avoid? I seem to be getting different opinions with people saying everything from "Downtown Lancaster is amazing" to "Downtown Lancaster is very shady and unsafe" so I'm not really sure what to think. I have read that staying between Frederick to the north and King to the south is advisable and things get shady if you go south of king or north of Frederick. True or false? I've been to Lancaster a few times and there are some questionable characters hanging around from time to time it didn't seem that bad. Also, keep in mind that I am from the city (Chicago) and what "unsafe" is to an Amish person may be perfectly safe to me. SO, my questions are:

1. How safe is downtown Lancaster?
2. Are there any areas that are smart to avoid )especially after dark)?
3. Also, if anyone knows, how do I go about finding one of those downtown townhouses to rent?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 10:04 PM

39 posts, read 107,278 times
Hello,

I used to live in Lancaster. I liked it. Some of the shops and restaurants are cute and it can be somewhat lively on weekends (though obviously nothing like Chicago). It can also be dead and kind of shady at times, particularly on weeknights or when it's cold outside. Still, I never felt unsafe (less one small incident during which I wasn't harmed). The western half of the city, north of Chestnut and south of the Harrisburg Pike, where I lived, was a pretty, quaint working-class neighborhood that also included some professionals and college students from Franklin and Marshall College. Many houses in this area were beautifully renovated. The area around Musser Park was also charming but somewhat shadier imo. In that part of town, I would look south of Walnut, west of Plum, and north of King. It's true that things get shadier south of King and north of Frederick. Though I sometimes visited these areas (without any problems), I did hear negative things from some people who lived in both of them. Also, the block of Queen street, in the middle of Orange and Chestnut, I found to be shady at night. This block is in the middle of downtown, and the area around it is nice.

I found my apartment by contacting a local property management company that had some apartments listed on Craigslist.

I want to warn you that many newcomers I've talked to have found the locals to be unfriendly and cliquish. I'm a friendly local myself, so I can only go by what they've told me.

I hope this helps!

Old 12-17-2013, 07:45 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,925,804 times
shady is pretty subjective and coming from chicago I'd bet you'll find "shady" sometimes means lower rent rather than really dangerous. it seems the worst areas are in the south. HBG is right though that the western areas are the safest

Old 04-29-2014, 09:28 PM

89 posts, read 107,783 times
Can anyone comment on the Willow Valley residences near Lancaster? We are recently retired, want to leave NY area and don't want to move to a community that's basically 'independent living' gradually phasing to continuous care - maybe too young for that atmosphere. Also like lots of activities and cultural offerings. I'm leaning toward a condo in Center City, hubby likes the poolside lifestyle. Budget for a condo/townhouse <$250,000, taxes <$3000, reasonable amenities, if at all possible.
Has anyone lived in Willow Valley, visited, et?. Any comments would be helpful. Thanks!

Last edited by UL885; 04-29-2014 at 09:38 PM..

Old 04-30-2014, 05:10 PM
Status: "The goal of the Party is POWER! (Orwell - "1984")" (set 11 days ago)

14,434 posts, read 8,829,408 times
Welcome to the neighborhood. Some people, zhey zhink we are pretty fonny. (John O'Hara)

Chust (Pennsy Dutch accent) remember -- its LANK-ister, not LANN-caster, and Boyer-tawn, rather than Boyertown.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:33 PM

2 posts, read 3,285 times
hey 2nd trick op, looking to move to Pa. somewhere not too expensive but good for a family . Any thoughts ??
Would really appreciate it !!

kapa714
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area