Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2011, 06:23 PM

3 posts, read 6,241 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to Lancaster and are wondering about the employment situation there. He saw an article in Forbes that Lancaster is one of the places with the worst job prospects. Hubby is a CPA. I have a very diverse employment background ranging from office management to building management, making me more flexible.

Any thoughts on the Forbes article? Any feedback about emplyment prospects? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 08:07 AM

61 posts, read 115,920 times
I lived in Lancaster for close to a year.
I ended up having to commute to a position I had with a company in Reading 34 miles north of where I was living.
I'm 45 years old.
I'm educated and have held many mid level management positions.
When I was searching in earnest in Lancaster the majority of job offerings came from temp services wanting me to commute to York, Mechanicsburg or Harrisburg.
It appears that there's still a very large problem concerning employment in Lancaster proper.
Jobs of any level just appear absent.
I now reside in Allentown.

My experience for you.

Good luck.

Julia

Old 11-14-2011, 11:29 AM

145 posts, read 319,959 times
If you are from the area or have a local sounding last name, then I would think you would be able to find employment easily. There are jobs in Lancaster. But they seem to go to locals first.

We lived in the area for 7 years. We are not from there. My husband had a great job there. The company was really good to him. He is not a CPA; in more of a technical field. But I really struggled to find good, solid employment there.

If you are not from there or have family there then I don't know what the draw to move there would be. It is a great area. There is tons to do. The shopping is great. But I am very glad we moved away and feel that I will have more job options here.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:21 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,914,082 times
One thing to remember about the area is that Harrisburg, York, and Lancaster are very tightly interwoven. Socially, politically, and economically, each city depends on the other two. Each is about 30-40 minutes from the other and many, many people live in one and commute to the other. If you can sustain this kind of flexibility, your job prospects will improve dramatically. Otherwise, I would have to agree that looking only in Lancaster proper might present some challenges.

There are a lot of good areas to live in-between all three. Middletown is an excellent start. York to Lancaster (or vice versa) is probably the most challenging of the three possibilities because of congestion along Route 30 -- though I haven't regularly driven this route myself.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:46 AM

10,223 posts, read 16,767,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
One thing to remember about the area is that Harrisburg, York, and Lancaster are very tightly interwoven. Socially, politically, and economically, each city depends on the other two. Each is about 30-40 minutes from the other and many, many people live in one and commute to the other. If you can sustain this kind of flexibility, your job prospects will improve dramatically. Otherwise, I would have to agree that looking only in Lancaster proper might present some challenges.

There are a lot of good areas to live in-between all three. Middletown is an excellent start. York to Lancaster (or vice versa) is probably the most challenging of the three possibilities because of congestion along Route 30 -- though I haven't regularly driven this route myself.
FWIW there is limited train service into Harrisburg via Amtrak's Keystone which is good if you work in downtown Harrisburg.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:03 PM

74 posts, read 127,946 times
I wouldn't move to Lancaster for job/career prospects. Its like moving to Alaska for beaches, palms and coconuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area