U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2014, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,546 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I don't know if this is considered a mix of venting and questioning but I figured I would give it a shot and see the responses I get.

I am originally from Puerto Rico but I have lived in New York several years of my life. Lately however as I spent a little over a year in Puerto Rico I came to the conclusion that New York is just way too expensive and things are not like they used to be so I decided to take a chance and move to Harrisburg, PA.

I will be doing this move solely on the savings I have. I have a car that I will be selling before I go but I will pretty much start fresh... looking for an apartment, a job, a car, etc...

I will also be doing this completely alone. My siblings live in New York and my parents in Puerto Rico so I have no one in Harrisburg that I could count on for any type of help. I am very close to my mother and the thought of her not going with me is kind of heartbreaking but I need to move on with my life if I have any plan of a future.

I guess my concern is if this is a good idea. I visited an aunt of mine who used to live in the Westchester area about 3 years ago and I fell in love with the place. I also visited Lancaster and the Cleona area, which is why I decided to go with the Harrisburg/Cleona area.

I would REALLY appreciate some help as to identifying the good/safe areas of Harrisburg in terms of living. I don't want to end up on the wrong side of town, especially when I am going alone.

Do you all think I am crazy for wanting to do this? Should I really take this chance?

Hoping to get some good answers!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 08:37 AM

104 posts, read 177,176 times
I pretty much did the same thing myself, except I moved all the way across the country to Seattle WA from Pennsylvania. I'm originally from the Lebanon area but spent my whole life everywhere between Lancaster, Harrisburg, and Lebanon.

Harrisburg is a nice little city with a handful of things to enjoy while living there and the cost of living is way lower than New York. Have you been to Harrisburg to visit at least? I would recommend visiting a few times to get a general feel of the area and if you could see yourself living there. The culture is alot different than NY. Much slower, laid back, and people are generally more polite and friendly in my opinion. Central PA is not particularly diverse so you may stick out like a sore thumb in some areas.

Harrisburg's got some pretty ghetto areas in the city but the suburbs outside are nice. West shore is the nicest but more pricey.

And if you ever get homesick, it's only a couple hours by train back to NY to visit family and such.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area