Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 07:54 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times

Advertisements

Friend wants to travel from Elizabethtown Pa to NYC on a Friday AM and back on Sat PM. She can drive to about an hour from Elizabethtown, park, and get on a train or bus, but her health won't permit driving three hours. What are the options? Amtrak is quite expensive - $112 roundtrip. Greatwall bus is cheaper, but only travels late at night. Greyhound takes too long - over 5 hours - must be changing in Philly. Any other choices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 04:20 PM

385 posts, read 1,175,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Friend wants to travel from Elizabethtown Pa to NYC on a Friday AM and back on Sat PM. She can drive to about an hour from Elizabethtown, park, and get on a train or bus, but her health won't permit driving three hours. What are the options? Amtrak is quite expensive - $112 roundtrip. Greatwall bus is cheaper, but only travels late at night. Greyhound takes too long - over 5 hours - must be changing in Philly. Any other choices?
she can try bieber bus, $71 roundtrip from lancaster amtrak to port authority, or $61 roundtrip from reading.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:33 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
she could take the train to philly ($46 from etown, $32 from lancaster) and take the bus from there (bolt and megabus leave for ny across the street from 30th st station). additionally she could do the trenton shuffle, amtrak to philly, septa to trenton, and njt to ny. if she's a senior knock ten percent off

Old 01-16-2014, 07:51 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,786,314 times
A couple more thoughts on the value equation, which differs for each individual:

-"Driving an hour" isn't cost free either - 4 to 6 gallons of gas is $14 to $21 up front - plus tolls, parking, and indirect costs. The Elizabethtown station still has free parking, and courtesy of the Federal stimulus no longer has car-swallowing mud puddles (although for overnight they do want folks parking in the nosebleed section out by the Masonic Home).

-AAA (and some other) memberships are good for typical 10% discount on Amtrak with sufficient advance purchase time.

-A substantial portion of the 25 Hz power used by the Amtrak trains on this route comes from the Safe Harbor Dam, using the power of the falling Susquehanna River instead of tar sands or terrorist oil.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:34 PM

786 posts, read 1,593,524 times
Rohrer bus co in Duncannon, PA has cheap round trips to NYC.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:32 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
shuster thinks its too cheap
Quote:
The Pennsylvania lawmaker touted his use of Amtrak service between Harrisburg, Pa. and Philadelphia, saying he thought it was so confident that he should be charged more for it.

“Every time I get on that train and I look at the ticket price and I figure on the back of the envelope calculation, I should paying more for it,” Shuster said. “I’m prime time. They’re not making money. I think they’ve inched it up some, but when I do the back on the envelope on gas, tolls, parking, my productivity goes from zero when I’m driving to 100 percent.”
Read more: Transit debate roils infrastructure funding hearing | TheHill
always bugs me when politicians say things like this, he probably isn't even paying for it. one of the bigger problems is the lack of rush hour service and the inadequate number of trains on saturday and sunday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area