U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2014, 01:56 PM

10,685 posts, read 11,540,193 times

Advertisements

Alone yet not Alone was just nominated for Best Song in the Academy Awards.The films is based on the outcome of an Indian massacre in 1755 near Selinsgrove PA.

Last year a film, Chasing Ice received a nomination for best song ("Before My Time" - J. Ralph). The film sold an estimated 165,800 tickets, and was only shown in 53 theaters,

To be eligible for Academy Awards consideration, feature films must open in a commercial motion picture theater in Los Angeles County by midnight, December 31, and begin a minimum run of seven consecutive days. For 2013 269 films that were deemed eligible for an Academy Award nomination. Boxofficemojo counts 678 films released in 2013, but only 180 make more than $2 million in North American sales. The top 50 films make 70% of the box office ticket sales.

Alone Yet, not Alone (with an unabashed evangelical Christian theme) was even more obscure. The film was shown in only 11 theaters nationwide for one week in September

Bruce Broughton, who wrote the song and was previously nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Score in 1986 for "Silverado," said he had been stunned by the news. "You couldn't ever call it a dark horse. It was an invisible horse," Broughton told Yahoo Movies. "My songwriting partner Dennis Spiegel [who wrote the song's lyrics] called and he was so excited he could hardly speak."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 09:07 AM

3,866 posts, read 5,640,956 times
I have not seen the movie, but watched the trailer. I love it when an obscure song comes from behind and gives the industry a run for its money. I read that the film will be released in more theaters this year. I hope so. It has definite merit. That period in time was brutal. I hope this gets the traction that 'Last of the Mohicans' did.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:12 AM

10,685 posts, read 11,540,193 times
Default Academy Revokes Controversial Nomination

The academy has revoked the nomination after learning that Broughton had emailed members of the branch to make them aware of his submission during the nominations voting period, the Academy relayed in a statement on Wednesday.

"No matter how well-intentioned the communication, using one's position as a former governor and current executive committee member to personally promote one’s own Oscar submission creates the appearance of an unfair advantage,” said Cheryl Boone Isaacs, Academy president.

"I’m devastated," Broughton said in a statement obtained by Yahoo Movies. "I indulged in the simplest grassroots campaign and it went against me when the song started getting attention. I got taken down by competition that had months of promotion and advertising behind them.

I actually think revoking the nomination will give more attention to the film.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:10 AM

3,866 posts, read 5,640,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post

I actually think revoking the nomination will give more attention to the film.
I hope this is the case. We'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area