U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2014, 12:24 PM

6 posts, read 11,821 times

Advertisements

Hey, Guys. I'm looking for some relocation advice.

I'll be moving from Chicago to start a new job in Carlisle in the next few months, and am trying to decide where to look for housing. I'm a single, 27 yr old male, so I would prefer an area with people my age and at least a little bit of nightlife, preferably within walking distance or a short cab ride. Cost shouldn't be an issue since I figure most everything will be cheaper than Chicago.

I've looked through similar posts on the forum and it sounds like Midtown Harrisburg might be a decent place. Does anyone know what the commute would be like? Any other suggestions on where to look? I probably won't have more than a couple of days to find a place once I get out there, so any help I can get in advance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 04:44 PM

52 posts, read 68,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therrma2 View Post
Hey, Guys. I'm looking for some relocation advice.

I'll be moving from Chicago to start a new job in Carlisle in the next few months, and am trying to decide where to look for housing. I'm a single, 27 yr old male, so I would prefer an area with people my age and at least a little bit of nightlife, preferably within walking distance or a short cab ride. Cost shouldn't be an issue since I figure most everything will be cheaper than Chicago.

I've looked through similar posts on the forum and it sounds like Midtown Harrisburg might be a decent place. Does anyone know what the commute would be like? Any other suggestions on where to look? I probably won't have more than a couple of days to find a place once I get out there, so any help I can get in advance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Definitely midtown or downtown Harrisburg. When I lived in midtown, there was someone on my block who commuted to Carlisle daily for work. It's about 25-30 minutes and most of the ride is highway.

You could consider Carlisle -- it's got a little bit going on, but might be a huge adjustment for you, especially coming from Chicago. At least in Harrisburg you're an Amtrak ride to Philly-NYC.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:17 PM

26 posts, read 32,320 times
I don't think Carlisle even has a cab service anymore.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:54 PM

7,477 posts, read 10,484,647 times
Agreed on Midtown/Downtown. Carlisle's quite far out/too college-y for most post-grads, IMO. I wouldn't recommend it unless you work in that neck of Cumberland County and desire a short commute.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:53 PM

6 posts, read 11,821 times
Thanks, guys. I'm OK with a 25-30 minute commute as long as traffic isn't constantly terrible.

Any advice on Midtown/Downtown? What streets define the two areas? Any info on particular apartment complexes that have good reputations?

Thanks again.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:42 PM

4,264 posts, read 10,254,416 times
The younger single folks coming to Hershey for work, seem to live either in Harrisburg or Lancaster because Hershey is too boring. I wouldn't recommend commuting from Lancaster to Carlisle (if you were going to do that, you might as well live in Baltimore), so folks hopefully will fill you in on the current hip blocks in Harrisburg. Plenty of people drive from Carlisle to Harrisburg for work, so traffic favors you on the reverse even though it will be close to or a bit more than 30 min.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area