U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2014, 06:11 PM

3 posts, read 10,147 times

Advertisements

Just to be clear, we don't feel as if we need to live in a spot where we're surrounded by like-minded people; we just want to live somewhere where we'll be able to make friends with our neighbors, whether or not we go to church and whether or not we have the same or different political leanings. We're open-minded. =)

JimboPGH: Thanks--that's good to know. As for as neighborhood, we'd love if it were walkable (I work from home, and like to walk to a cafe/coffeeshop on the days I'm not being as productive as I'd like)--doesn't have to be urban, but something that has at least a few things within walking distance would be great, so I guess we're talking borough? And while I do prefer more modern/contemporary architecture (especially mid-century modern), the neighborhood will win out over the house itself.

And kanling - Not everyone is lucky enough to be able to have the right job in the right place. Right now, the right job is the most important piece of the puzzle and that job may very well be in Hershey. Leave the soul-searching up to us...we're really good at it.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 07:20 PM

4,267 posts, read 10,394,344 times
Some homes in Hershey village area would have MCM touches, but otherwise I think this area must have missed that trend at the time.

This week is a reminder of one networking opportunity for parents of elementary school aged kids in the Derry Twp schools: Home

Old 03-05-2014, 07:26 PM

7,532 posts, read 10,646,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Some homes in Hershey village area would have MCM touches, but otherwise I think this area must have missed that trend at the time.

This week is a reminder of one networking opportunity for parents of elementary school aged kids in the Derry Twp schools: Home
There are actually some gorgeous MCM homes in the heights of Lemoyne/Wormleysburg/parts of surrounding Camp Hill, the latter being a not especially religious/conservative enclave with great schools and a charming, walkable downtown. Not necessarily the best commute to Hershey, however.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:34 PM

That's right that the hill area where Wormleysburg, Camp Hill, and East Pennsboro Twp meet has a number of MCM specimens. There are some isolated ones in less walkable areas of Susquehanna Twp. This place might be more LCM than MCM: A look inside Rite Aid founder's million-dollar Susquehanna Township estate: House of Style | PennLive.com

Old 03-08-2014, 01:33 PM

876 posts, read 1,012,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CluelessInCali View Post
Just to be clear, we don't feel as if we need to live in a spot where we're surrounded by like-minded people; we just want to live somewhere where we'll be able to make friends with our neighbors, whether or not we go to church and whether or not we have the same or different political leanings. We're open-minded. =)
You'll be fine in most of the mid-state. The ultra-conservatives in that area are the older Penn Dutch types, and they tend to mostly keep to themselves. The rest of the population doesn't really care about their neighbor's political or religious views, they just want their neighbors to be good neighbors. Most of the larger boroughs (which is just Pennsylvanian for "town") proximal to Harrisburg would likely suit you fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CluelessInCali View Post
As for as neighborhood, we'd love if it were walkable (I work from home, and like to walk to a cafe/coffeeshop on the days I'm not being as productive as I'd like)--doesn't have to be urban, but something that has at least a few things within walking distance would be great, so I guess we're talking borough? And while I do prefer more modern/contemporary architecture (especially mid-century modern), the neighborhood will win out over the house itself.
Personally, I think Mechanicsburg is the nicest community in that area and would offer exactly what you're looking for, in terms of having a lot of young families, a strong business district, walkability, good schools (that older kids can walk to), and diverse housing stock that offers plenty of post-WWII architecture, along with classic Mid-Atlantic row-houses.

However, it would be a bit of a commute from Mechanicsburg to Hershey, so you may want to limit your search to the East Shore (east of the Susquehanna.... which is made of lava and no one ever crosses).

Old 03-08-2014, 04:51 PM

5,166 posts, read 8,260,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPGH View Post
You'll be fine in most of the mid-state. The ultra-conservatives in that area are the older Penn Dutch types, and they tend to mostly keep to themselves. The rest of the population doesn't really care about their neighbor's political or religious views, they just want their neighbors to be good neighbors. Most of the larger boroughs (which is just Pennsylvanian for "town") proximal to Harrisburg would likely suit you fine.
I think that's a great assessment. I think Central Pennsylvania's reputation for conservatism is somewhat overblown -- not to mention it is changing pretty quickly as the "old guard" dies out.

Is the OP going to find abundant Left Coast-style liberalism? Absolutely not, but some posters make it sounds as though there are raging Tea Partiers on every corner. I believe "conservative" political views of Pennsylvanians tends to be much more moderate than other parts of the country, California included. Honestly, there's an entrenched history of Central PA voting Republican that goes back practically to the Revolutionary Era, so some don't realize that many PA Republicans subscribe much more to the old-school Rockefeller/Eisenhower school of thought, as opposed to Ted Cruz. Overall, Pennsylvania just seems to reject any type of extremism.

Anyway, I know this will come off as elitist, but there definitely is some truth to it. If the OP sticks to areas with higher incomes/education levels as a rule of thumb (e.g., Mechanicsburg, Carlisle, Derry Township), I think he/she will be FAR less likely to be exposed to reactionary types and more likely those who are open-minded/accepting.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:03 PM

I characterize it as small-c conservatism. (Although York County seems to have noticeable numbers of the more tea party-ish type, and its precursors - emblematically, this is one of the county parks: Richard Nixon Park )

Old 03-08-2014, 05:09 PM

5,166 posts, read 8,260,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
I characterize it as small-c conservatism. (Although York County seems to have noticeable numbers of the more tea party-ish type, and its precursors - emblematically, this is one of the county parks: Richard Nixon Park )
I think that's spot-on. Small-c conservatism is much more about stability, preservation and strong localized government. It's less overtly political and more philosophical.

Also, to me, that looks like a wonderful park -- as good as any in a "liberal" area. Certainly not the kind of park that would be found in an area infested by Tea Party types. It's amenities like that that reflect well on Central Pennsylvania.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:17 PM

Well if one searches for "list of places named for Richard Nixon" search engines don't seem to understand the question. Wonder if there is any place, besides this park and his Presidential library.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:45 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,610,961 times
I'm liberal and live in Cumberland County. I would describe this area as fairly conservative (Scott Perry, anyone?) but it's not that terrible--I would take here over Texas. Camp Hill has some liberals, but also some very old school, older conservative types (NOT younger, libertarian or Tea Party type Republicans, however). If you look at voting preferences, Dauphin County (even excluding Harrisburg proper) skews a bit more liberal and I know people in Hershey and Hummelstown who are politically liberal. Do keep in mind that even Democrats in the midstate don't dare criticize the NRA and are rarely strongly pro-choice as these are hot button issues here. Think Bob Casey, although he is not from this part of the state.

As non-Christians we've encountered a couple of minor issues in school (we're in Cumberland Valley) but nothing along the lines of what friends down South have reported. (The issue is more the assumption of cultural Christianity rather than proselytizing.) CV and Derry Twp are both excellent districts, CV being much larger. The commute isn't ideal, though, and most of CV was built post-1960. Camp Hill is good but small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area