U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 01:53 PM

31,440 posts, read 70,471,637 times

Advertisements

While I tend to think the "West Shore" suburban areas such as Camp Hill, Mechanicsburg, or Wormleysburg would suit you rather well, none of these areas offer an ideal commute to Hershey. With traffic you'd probably be looking at around a 40-minute commute each way from the more desirable walkable neigborhoods there. I'd consider areas between Hershey and Harrisburg. A place like Hummelstown might work for an easy commute and proximity to the more liberal oasis of Harrisburg city proper.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 09:26 PM

39 posts, read 107,214 times
Check out Mt. Gretna.

Also, I'm liberal and openly gay and have never run into problems in this area. However, my social life revolves mostly around my family, people who also work for the state, and the last couple people I've dated, who have attended local colleges or moved here for work. Most of my close friends who are originally from this area now live in Philadelphia, DC or New York. I don't have many friends who grew up around here and stayed like I did. I would like to relocate, but the local political climate isn't really a big part of that, I just like big cities.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:14 AM

5 posts, read 20,182 times
Just to offer my two cents. Harrisburg is a democrat city (like most cities). I'm a liberal and an atheist as well and feel like I have been able to find like minded people in the city. I would not expect to find too many too far outside of the city though. I tend NOT to discuss politics and religion with my patients since most have Fox News on in their rooms. If you are willing to move downtown I would look into midtown. The yards may not be there but you would be close to riverfront park in order to run around a little bit with your child. From my perspective, the gay community is small but that there certainly is one in Harrisburg!

Old 04-08-2014, 10:34 AM

28 posts, read 32,357 times
Hi there,

I'm curious if you ever made a decision? My advice, as someone who sounds similar to you, is DON'T DO IT. My family moved back here from Virginia several years ago to be closer to family, and that is the ONLY reason we are staying here. I think the problem is not necessarily a political one, but one of friendliness. I read once that truck drivers voted PA one of the least friendly states in the country, and I find that to be true. There are lots of good people here, don't get me wrong, but if you're coming from an environment where people are really friendly and lively and fun, and there's a sort of "vibe" to the place, central PA does NOT have that "vibe." Again, I don't mean the people are bad or mean or anything. They're just really introverted - I was told by one older person that it's a German thing. No idea if that's what it is or what, but it's just a lot harder to have friendly conversation, say, with people in the grocery store than there was in Virginia or other places I've lived. And it sounds like it isn't a big deal, but it makes it hard to make friends (and it seems like most people are friends with the same group they went to high school with) and hard to find people to hang out with. And I'm a friendly person. I've been lucky in that I really enjoy the people I work with, but it took a good year for us to get to know each other enough to talk much about our personal lives. People here seem to hold a lot back - and that's not necessarily a bad thing. But there's no sense of excitement or a community really moving forward with enthusiasm.

I hope I'm making sense here and not being mean. I definitely don't mean to sound that way. But I think finding a good fit in place is really important. Hope you find yours!

Old 04-08-2014, 02:50 PM

20 posts, read 30,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabear1972 View Post
Hi there,

I'm curious if you ever made a decision? My advice, as someone who sounds similar to you, is DON'T DO IT. My family moved back here from Virginia several years ago to be closer to family, and that is the ONLY reason we are staying here. I think the problem is not necessarily a political one, but one of friendliness. I read once that truck drivers voted PA one of the least friendly states in the country, and I find that to be true. There are lots of good people here, don't get me wrong, but if you're coming from an environment where people are really friendly and lively and fun, and there's a sort of "vibe" to the place, central PA does NOT have that "vibe." Again, I don't mean the people are bad or mean or anything. They're just really introverted - I was told by one older person that it's a German thing. No idea if that's what it is or what, but it's just a lot harder to have friendly conversation, say, with people in the grocery store than there was in Virginia or other places I've lived. And it sounds like it isn't a big deal, but it makes it hard to make friends (and it seems like most people are friends with the same group they went to high school with) and hard to find people to hang out with. And I'm a friendly person. I've been lucky in that I really enjoy the people I work with, but it took a good year for us to get to know each other enough to talk much about our personal lives. People here seem to hold a lot back - and that's not necessarily a bad thing. But there's no sense of excitement or a community really moving forward with enthusiasm.

I hope I'm making sense here and not being mean. I definitely don't mean to sound that way. But I think finding a good fit in place is really important. Hope you find yours!
I'm from central PA originally but my partner is from the west coast. We lived in PA together for about a year before we finally decided to move west where he's from. He said he has never had such a hard time making friends anywhere in his life than in Central PA. I blame the dutch culture that heavily influences people's attitudes here. People only want to associate with you if you walk, talk, and act like them... or if they known you since birth. From what I've always been told..... the PA dutch have a hard, brash sense of humour and are known to repress their emotions aggressively. It's an extremely tough clique to break into.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:59 PM

22,630 posts, read 13,258,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanling View Post
Your initial characterization as 'flaming liberal' suggests that California is your true home. You might want to do some soul searching to decide if you really want to leave your true home for Pennsylvania or anywhere else. I know if I were living in an area perfect for me, I would not want to uproot for any far away job no matter what the minor benefits of that job would be.
Nonsense. I could not disagree more.

There are plenty of pockets of liberalism in the Keystone State ... just not in the towns he mentioned. Obviously both Philadelphia and Pittsburgh would be two - I know because I live in Philly which is arguably one of the five most liberal cities in the entire US.

Interesting fact: the Campaign for Human Rights - the largest LGBT civil rights organization in North America - gave Philly a 100% rating and described The City Of Brotherly Love & Sisterly Affection as being the most LGBT friendy city in the US, even scoring higher than San Francisco, LA, New York and Boston.

Prior to moving to Philly I lived in Easton, the county seat of Northampton County and I found the entire Lehigh Valley (Allentown, Bethlehem, and Easton) pretty liberal. The fact is Lehigh and Northampton vote reliably for Democrats every presidential election.

I am told that other pockets of liberalism include Scranton - Wilkes Barre, Erie, State College, and even the city limits of Harrisburg. If I am mistaken, please educate me.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:30 AM

7,534 posts, read 10,651,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Nonsense. I could not disagree more.

There are plenty of pockets of liberalism in the Keystone State ... just not in the towns he mentioned. Obviously both Philadelphia and Pittsburgh would be two - I know because I live in Philly which is arguably one of the five most liberal cities in the entire US.

Interesting fact: the Campaign for Human Rights - the largest LGBT civil rights organization in North America - gave Philly a 100% rating and described The City Of Brotherly Love & Sisterly Affection as being the most LGBT friendy city in the US, even scoring higher than San Francisco, LA, New York and Boston.

Prior to moving to Philly I lived in Easton, the county seat of Northampton County and I found the entire Lehigh Valley (Allentown, Bethlehem, and Easton) pretty liberal. The fact is Lehigh and Northampton vote reliably for Democrats every presidential election.

I am told that other pockets of liberalism include Scranton - Wilkes Barre, Erie, State College, and even the city limits of Harrisburg. If I am mistaken, please educate me.
Downtown and Midtown Harrisburg are pretty progressive, Clark.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:15 PM

84 posts, read 113,359 times
Pittsburgh, Scranton, Philadelphia, Harrisburg. That's basically it. The rest of the state doesn't have it's head up it's ass. I grew up in Lancaster County, worked in Hershey most my life, and I still vote and claim those areas as my home residence. Trust me when I say there are no "flaming liberals" in that area. Coming from Cali you'd best head up to NYC for that sort of politics.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:31 PM

22,630 posts, read 13,258,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZER0 View Post
Pittsburgh, Scranton, Philadelphia, Harrisburg. That's basically it. The rest of the state doesn't have it's head up it's ass. I grew up in Lancaster County, worked in Hershey most my life, and I still vote and claim those areas as my home residence. Trust me when I say there are no "flaming liberals" in that area. Coming from Cali you'd best head up to NYC for that sort of politics.
How about Erie? Wilkes Barre? State College? Allentown? Bethlehem? Easton? New Hope? Reading?

Old 05-05-2014, 08:48 PM

84 posts, read 113,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
How about Erie? Wilkes Barre? State College? Allentown? Bethlehem? Easton? New Hope? Reading?
Not Allentown or Reading. I used to live...well lets just say in Berks County for awhile too. I'm sure it has it's pockets but in the last elections these areas I remember all voted red. Although I don't remember. It's been a long time since the last important election. The rest yeah. Bethlehem...hell yes...I knew one of their former mayors from...I think he was mayor in the 80's or something....very very liberal guy. Good guy though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area