U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 12:20 PM

40 posts, read 78,585 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Central PA and have lived in other areas most of my life. Employment took me all up and down the east coast and I have lived in both cities and country. My take on the whole issue is that it doesn't really have anything to do with politics, it's more your ability to accept people who are different than you. Us Pennsylvania Germans are friendly and accepting toward everyone. It's the way we were brought up. We just keep to ourselves for the most part and are somewhat introverted. I did just fine living in Asheville, NC where just about every liberal in NC lives, but when I got to rural TN with tons of conservatives I couldn't fit in. I was too private and kept to myself too much for their lifestyle. I say hello to my neighbors and respect them but then I like my privacy. I am very picky about friends but I have the same ones for 30 years. Honestly I think you can be happy anywhere as long as you have respect for others. Central PA is a beautiful place to live and while you are here you can learn about the conservative Germans and why they came here to begin with. It's a beautiful culture and lovely country. Pick the area that is most convenient for employment because traffic can really make life miserable here. I have moved home after 35 years and am really enjoying it. Lots to do and see, and every town has it's own charms. Use your time off to visit places like the Philly Art Museum and Lancaster Amish Country. And don't forget to take your camera. I hope you have made a decision. Whatever it is, best of luck to your family
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 08:32 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,615,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabear1972 View Post
Hi there,

I'm curious if you ever made a decision? My advice, as someone who sounds similar to you, is DON'T DO IT. My family moved back here from Virginia several years ago to be closer to family, and that is the ONLY reason we are staying here. I think the problem is not necessarily a political one, but one of friendliness. I read once that truck drivers voted PA one of the least friendly states in the country, and I find that to be true. There are lots of good people here, don't get me wrong, but if you're coming from an environment where people are really friendly and lively and fun, and there's a sort of "vibe" to the place, central PA does NOT have that "vibe." Again, I don't mean the people are bad or mean or anything. They're just really introverted - I was told by one older person that it's a German thing. No idea if that's what it is or what, but it's just a lot harder to have friendly conversation, say, with people in the grocery store than there was in Virginia or other places I've lived. And it sounds like it isn't a big deal, but it makes it hard to make friends (and it seems like most people are friends with the same group they went to high school with) and hard to find people to hang out with. And I'm a friendly person. I've been lucky in that I really enjoy the people I work with, but it took a good year for us to get to know each other enough to talk much about our personal lives. People here seem to hold a lot back - and that's not necessarily a bad thing. But there's no sense of excitement or a community really moving forward with enthusiasm.

I hope I'm making sense here and not being mean. I definitely don't mean to sound that way. But I think finding a good fit in place is really important. Hope you find yours!
I don't find this true at all. I find people here much friendlier than I did in New York (or the times I have spent in the DC area). They are slow to become good friends, often because people have lived here all their lives and have close networks of friends. But they're not rude and people chat with me all the time (the funny part is that I am actually very shy and introverted--not someone who strikes up random conversations in the store). Philly is more aggressive, but also more outgoing. People who think PA is the least friendly state need to get out more. I don't think PA compares to the Twin Cities or Seattle which are famous for being very difficult as a newcomer.

It is the kind of place where I think you'll be happier if you have some more conventional/personally conservative traits--for example going to church.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:01 PM

14 posts, read 19,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
I don't find this true at all. I find people here much friendlier than I did in New York (or the times I have spent in the DC area). They are slow to become good friends, often because people have lived here all their lives and have close networks of friends. But they're not rude and people chat with me all the time (the funny part is that I am actually very shy and introverted--not someone who strikes up random conversations in the store). Philly is more aggressive, but also more outgoing. People who think PA is the least friendly state need to get out more. I don't think PA compares to the Twin Cities or Seattle which are famous for being very difficult as a newcomer.

It is the kind of place where I think you'll be happier if you have some more conventional/personally conservative traits--for example going to church.
I dont find this true either and i moved here 10 years ago..My neighbors are some of the friendliest people I have ever met.In fact when I first moved here I was kind of unnerved by the friendliness..I grew up in NJ and can tell you I barely knew anyone on my street, they all kept to themselves..Not like that here

Old 06-24-2014, 11:14 AM

52 posts, read 87,777 times
The whole area is not what you would call forward thinking, but out of that mentioned group I would say Lancaster. But echoing what a previous poster said, you coming from Southern Ca, I would highly advise against it. You'll feel like you are living in another country. There is little to no emphasis on style or fitness. You will often see grown women wearing pajamas out in public. When I lived there, I met several families that relocated to the area for jobs, only to move back within a year or so because it's so bleak. There is a reason house are so cheap there.

Last edited by Mvmdmd; 06-24-2014 at 11:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area