Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2014, 09:10 AM

93 posts, read 325,642 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

So I landed my first job out of college in Camp Hill, PA. I'll be making $55,000 a year. I'll be moving to the area at the end of May. I am currently from a small town near Altoona, PA.

What areas are good for young professionals in this area? I want to live in safe area and not have to drive very far everyday. Can I live comfortably on that income with about $1000 a month rent?

Is the area gay friendly at all and good for young people?

I don't want to live in a crappy area and I want a fairly decent apartment.

Any advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 05:20 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,943,958 times
Camp Hill, Mechanicsburg and Harrisburg are great towns for young professionals. Yes, you'll be able to live on the $1,000 month rent. Call the Chambers of Commerce or the Visitor's Center in each of the communities and ask them to send you relocation materials. That should provide you with some ideas for apartments and maps/routes to where your work will be located. The newspaper (Harrisburg Patriot) may also have some relocation packets as well. Good Luck!

Old 02-24-2014, 09:44 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,786,314 times
Do you see yourself more in an apartment complex, an apartment in an older maybe 1 or 2 story building in a relatively quiet area, or maybe in a mid or high rise and near the bars on 2nd Street in Harrisburg?

Old 02-24-2014, 05:45 PM

I wouldn't mind being near the bars on 2nd Street. As long as the drive to Camp Hill isn't too bad. I'm stuck deciding on living in Harrisburg or Camp Hill. I'm used to small town living but I wouldn't mind living in a city.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:34 PM

You'd be bucking traffic on the way to Camp Hill coming out of the City. I'm also guessing you might have a work site in the office area on the NE side of Camp Hill spilling into East Pennsboro Twp and Wormleysburg Borough, which would be even closer to the city. If so Wormleysburg has individual rentals and might be worth considering as a compromise too. Maybe Lemoyne Borough too although it's traffic knotted in all directions.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:53 PM

I'll be working on Center Street near the Holy Spirit Hospital.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:58 PM

OK, check out Midtown Harrisburg and Wormleysburg then. Might even be able to ride a bike up Poplar Church Rd (and over the Harvey Taylor bridge).

Old 04-03-2014, 02:07 PM

11 posts, read 15,481 times
Hi Pureblood,
I know the area you're talking about - I recently moved down here from the Scranton PA area. I had to drive daily (supervisor in healthcare), from Harrisburg to York and back on I-83... not the nicest commute.
Recently I was able to transfer to our Camp Hill area, which is right in the area you're going to be in. I've found that from where I'm living now in Harrisburg to that hospital is just under three miles and not a bad drive. I'm right off 2nd St, in the downtown area... all you have to do is drive down 2nd St (it's one way), and hang a left on Forster St., which takes you right over the Harvey Taylor bridge, and the Holy Spirit campus is directly on the right side about two miles up. It's an easy drive, and you can get there from another bridge (Market) as well but the Taylor bridge is easiest for me.
I like the city so far, having only been here a couple months. Joined the Y on the East shore... hey, a guy's gotta keep in shape, right?? (Camp Hill has another Y that you can also use on the West shore). Have been checking out some nightlife and places. The city has some nice things to do and some beautiful architecture. Living right off 2nd Street allows for lots of activities during the warmer months along the river. Camp Hill area also has its own attractions, and you do want to join a gym if you move to Harrisburg, since there are more than enough restaurants to explore!
As far as gay-friendly, I'm not too sure, but I do know for certain that it's more welcoming than, say, Scranton PA... There are some clubs, bars, the usual - but the most visible is Stallions, which looks kinda seedy, lol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area