U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2014, 03:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,816 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!
My family and I will be relocating to PA in July/August. I was recently matched to an internship in Lebanon at the VA hospital. We know nothing of PA or the surrounding areas and were hoping to get some good feedback at where we should look. My fiancée and I have a 5 month old daughter, she will be 9 months old when we move. We are in an interracial relationship (black and white) and want to be in an area where we will be accepted. We're looking for a suburban area to live in, with easy access to chain stores (Target/Walmart/Babies r Us/Buy Buy Baby) and some good non-chain restaurants. We enjoy going out to dinner and having drinks, so an area with a fairly decent bar scene will be appreciated! I've filled out the sticky and really appreciate everyone's time taken to look a comment!!

When are you moving? July/Aug 2014
Where are you coming from? Los Angeles
Why are you moving? Internship placement
Where will you be working? Lebanon
Have you been here yet? yes

Will you buy or rent? Rent
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? House/Townhouse/ Apartment (priority in that order) $2000
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? walk up

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Engaged-yes daughter born 10/13
Do you prefer public or private schools?
Do you have pets? yes English Bulldog
Do you want or need a yard? prefer a yard but not a deal breaker
Are you keeping a car? yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Activity

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Diverse

Phillies, Pirates or Orioles? Cubs
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 03:10 PM

1,567 posts, read 2,782,278 times
I grew up in Lebanon. It has its charms, but bustling nightlife and dining are not among them - especially since you're coming from Los Angeles. If you're willing to commute, you may want to consider the Hershey area - about 12-15 miles away. It's close enough to downtown Harrisburg's bars and restaurants and it's also close enough to Lebanon for your job.

I can't speak to the inter-racial aspect of your inquiry. Somebody else will need to comment on that.

Good luck.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:55 AM

20 posts, read 30,490 times
I grew up in Lebanon my whole life. from LA to central PA is going to be quite the culture shock. There are some nice shopping/grocery stores/etc areas towards Lancaster (Park City Mall) and the Harrisburg/Colonial Park area along Route 22 and also along Union Deposit rd. Not much going on around Lebanon to be honest. It's a dead little town and a good majority of the people living there were born and raised there. People are pretty conversvative and ignorant about other cultures/races/etc. The PA Dutch are not the friendliest nor most open-minded people on earth. Night life is non existent unless you go to downtown Harrisburg. 2nd Street has a decent amount of places to chill out, have a drink and nice dinner.

Hershey/Hummelstown might be a good place for you guys to live. It has more people from other areas (mostly because of the Med Center there), very family friendly, and has a decent amount of your typical suburban amenities. It's situated about 20-30 min between Harrisburg and Lebanon so not too bad of a commute to the VA and not that far from the activity in Harrisburg if you want to go out for drinks and such.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:27 AM

2,668 posts, read 2,452,520 times
If you want to look into places in Hershey/Hummelstown try these places:

Madison Hershey Heights
and
The Reserve and Gardens at Hershey Meadows

both are apartments that allow pets.

We went to look at the Gardens the other day and they were out of our price range, but there seemed to be some good ammenities.

We live at Madison Hershey Heights.

There is some diversity in the area thanks to Penn State Hershey Medical Center.

Hope that helps!

Old 04-08-2014, 07:30 AM

28 posts, read 32,735 times
My sister lives in Lebanon suburbs, and her husband is a cop there - I live in Palmyra, which is about 20 minutes away.

Lebanon has a large hispanic population, which on the one hand adds diversity, but on the other hand (according to my sister and husband) has created some racist tendencies in people who lived there before the hispanic influx. A lot of the hispanic folks are from Puerto Rico, and are black, so I could see a biracial family feeling a little discomfort. This isn't a "crosses on the lawn" kind of a situation, but there is some hostility. Also, most of these folks live in Lebanon City, which has a horrible tax base and school district, but the suburbs 5 minutes away have one of the best schools in the midstate, so there's some class issues happening with that. Lebanon City is pretty terrible by almost any measure - the downtown is half dead, there are few good restaurants, and I've heard rumors that even the local branch of the community college might be closing. There doesn't seem to be a "city beautiful" thing happening to rejuvenate the town (which is happening in Harrisburg, and has made the downtown there a lot more lively), so not sure where it's headed at this point.

Lebanon County overall is very conservative and based in a sort of Dutch blandness that personally drives me nuts. I would go with others who recommend the Hershey area. Specifically, Derry Township has one of the best school districts in the entire state and is safe and has better restaurants, grocery stores, and is closer to Harrisburg, which is where you'll find things to do - especially for kids. Hershey also has an amazing community rec center with indoor and outdoor pools, tennis courts, an awesome playground, etc - in addition to having all the Hersheypark/Chocolate World attractions, outlets, etc etc.

Good luck - please feel free to message me if you need any advice. My family is multiracial as well, so I think I get where you might be coming from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area