U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2014, 12:43 PM

84 posts, read 113,251 times

Advertisements

Well have you looked towards Lebanon County? It's only 30-40 minutes from Harrisburg and the I80/I81 split runs right through it which is idea for going to State College. It's extremely rural. I grew up in that area and traversed often to Harrisburg for work, wasn't a big deal at all, very nice communities.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 12:52 PM

145 posts, read 219,622 times
I will check out Lebanon area. This is so hard for us because we absolutely love where we live. We have just under 3 acres large ranch home and live outside a small college town that has nice stores and places to eat. The school district is also very good and not to big. That's what were trying to replicate...

Old 06-01-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gacri View Post
I will check out Lebanon area. This is so hard for us because we absolutely love where we live. We have just under 3 acres large ranch home and live outside a small college town that has nice stores and places to eat. The school district is also very good and not to big. That's what were trying to replicate...
Annville in Lebanon county suits that. They host Lebanon Valley College (LVC) and it's campus. There's small shops and it's mostly rural except on RT 422 in front of the college. I'd suggest MJ's Cafe and Allen Movie House...spent much of my time in those places...Monday night used to be open mic night and it was always good times. The School District is not large but it's good sized...most graduating classes are less than 150 people...mine was 112 (where I live now they churn out thousands every school year). With the rural area around Annville you'll find land 3 acres and more.

Not to push ya or anything but a lot of people discount Lebanon county and just dismiss it without even considering it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annvil...,_Pennsylvania

Old 06-01-2014, 08:48 PM

4,267 posts, read 10,392,525 times
Newport has a nice coffeehouse/restaurant, art gallery, natural foods store. It might be the Paris of Perry County. The Appalachian Trail crosses SE Perry County and the character filled Doyle Hotel on the square in Duncannon is a destination the thru hikers look forward to for hundreds of miles.

Commuting from this area to the West Shore suburbs (such as Lemoyne) is common.

One of my FB friends from Annville just quit her job in Camp Hill due to commute woes. Annville is a cute town with some positive attributes (though one does need to watch for sinkhole prone geology), but Lebanon County to Harrisburg West Shore would not be my first choice given the availability of other options.

Remember, driving to work is every day, make sure you make the drive in typical commute time to a prospective residence. It can be difficult to believe how much more time congestion consumes. Someone posted on here a while back "congestion roses" along highways and Harrisburg's extended as far out from the center as Atlanta's.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:55 PM

Appreciate all the help! Just looking to make this move easy as possible and not give up some of the great things we have grown to love from here.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:56 PM

Can anyone tell me the very best zip codes to look for in Lebanon County. I am focused on the best elementary school.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:15 AM

121 posts, read 212,541 times
Not to dissuade you from Lebanon County, but IMO there are just as good of areas you're looking for on the West Shore that won't be as much of a chore for a commute to Lemoyne. I'd look at the Dillsburg or Mechanicsburg areas. They both have rural areas you're looking for coupled with the shopping conveniences you want.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:24 PM

Understand about he West shore for me, and I agree in many aspects except that my wife will likley be working at Hershey Medical and the housing seems cheaper on the east?

Old 06-02-2014, 12:59 PM

4,267 posts, read 10,392,525 times
Northern York County (zips 17070, 17319, 17339) might be worth looking into. That way one can commute to Hershey Medical Center using the Turnpike - if on normal day shift the extra cost of toll will likely be worth avoiding the PA 581/I-83 interchange and the I-83 19th Street bottleneck.

Also anything in 17057, 17022 will be easier intercommuting than anything in Lebanon County. People I know seem to be happy with Conewago Elementary, Lower Dauphin SD (about anything in 17022 that is also in Dauphin County should zone here).

Old 06-02-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gacri View Post
Can anyone tell me the very best zip codes to look for in Lebanon County. I am focused on the best elementary school.
17067 - Myerstown/Jackson Twp (too far but notable)
17003 - Annville/Cleona (good schools, good area, college town)
17078 - Palmyra (good schools, good area, a little busier as it's next to Hersey - bout 10 mins from the med center though).

It varies honestly. Lebanon County, Pennsylvania

Also might want to look into 17033 - Hershey (which is in Dauphin co.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area