U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2014, 03:19 PM

145 posts, read 219,564 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will be interviewing for a position in the next couple weeks which, if offered, would require my family and I to relocate to Lemoyne, PA. (Harrisburg) from Erie, PA.

We would like to try and duplicate the type of area we live in now. We are about 30min from what we consider our major city of Erie out a little away with about 3 acres of land. We are close enough where in a short drive can be close to anything, but we do like the country type life style.

My wife will likely pursue an RN position with Hershey Medical Center. We both do not mind the 30min or so drive.

We have two school aged daughters. One entering 9th grade and the other 5th grade next school year.

I am somewhat familiar with the area as I worked with this company about four years ago but in a different part of the state. I just never researched the area as to live there.

My concerns are:

1. Schools, especially HS for my daughters first year!

2. Nice area with a little land but close drive to modern world. (Price range will be $220 - $280k) 4 bedrooms.

3. Small up kept town would be a bonus. We have learend to like the small community feel and support.

Thank you...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 07:51 PM

4,267 posts, read 10,388,879 times
It might be possible, but likely a much different price point than you might be used to coming from NW PA, a longer drive than 30 min from typical employment sites, or both.

Lower Dauphin school district is well rated and Londonderry and Conewago Twps/Dauphin Cty (township names repeat close by) offer some accessibility from the PA 283 expressway and not totally suburbanized (yet). These areas are on the back of the hill where the Hershey Medical Center is located. Postal address in this area could be Middletown, Elizabethtown, Hummelstown, or even Hershey.

There still may be some properties of this type, also in LD, in S Hanover and E Hanover Twps/Dauphin Cty. Jumble of Hummelstown, Palmyra, Grantville, Harrisburg, Hershey postal addresses.

LD includes Hummelstown Borough which may qualify as a "small kept up town".

E Hanover Twp/Lebanon Cty (Grantville, Jonestown PO - and yes there are two separate "East Hanover Townships" right next to each other) would offer property availability closer to I-81 but Northern Lebanon SD isn't considered of same rank as LD usually.

Some people do commute from Cumberland Valley SD to Hershey but that would seem rather painful. Monroe Twp and parts of Silver Spring Twp/Cumberland Cty have small-acreage residential properties still, for $$$. These are around Mechanicsburg Borough which has small town feel remaining in the boro limits.

Carlisle Area SD is considered better than average and small acreage residential properties are possible in N Middleton and Middlesex Twps interspersed with subdivisions. Carlisle is a larger small town with much pride, big enough to have a bit of seediness too.

Central Dauphin SD is about average, some small acreage residential properties remain possible in Lower Paxton and West Hanover Twps, and in Middle Paxton Twp although the US 22/322 expressway at the Dauphin Narrows can be a traffic choke point. Fishing Creek Valley along PA 443 would give possibility of avoiding the choke points if you can meet the price point. Postal addresses would be Dauphin or Harrisburg. Dauphin Borough is more well kept than it used to be before the bypass opened, and the Linglestown community in Lower Paxton Twp retains a bit of older feel although surrounded by subdivisions and commercial parks.

Susquenita SD has small residential properties and relatively few subdivisions. Includes Duncannon and Marysville Boroughs with small town feel. Neither has been gentrified yet so it depends how you like your small towns.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:24 PM

121 posts, read 212,420 times
If your job is Lemoyne, I'd recommend staying on the West Shore and look at Mechanicsburg/Cumberland Valley area for good rural living like you're describing. The only downside would be your wife's commute over to Hershey. She could look into Holy Spirit hospital which would keep her on the west shore as well. If she's definitely going to be working in Hershey, ki0eh's post give good advice.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:16 PM

Well I have been trying to do some research on my own and have not yet become comfortable with what area is the "best" for a first year HS student.

I should be interviewing in the next week or so and it looks pretty promising at this point. I have a friend who already works for the agency and he resides just north of Dillsburg BUT has no school aged kids. He said the CVSD is quit large and he would look toward Boiling Springs for smaller district. We will have on trip to investigate so the questions is???

"What is the absolute best school district in the area?"

I'd rather drive a bit and be comfortable where my kids are attending school...

Thank you

Old 05-16-2014, 07:01 PM

3,605 posts, read 5,354,457 times
They have school ratings websites, you know.

Mechanicsburg and Camp Hill are rated well. You could probably find more rural areas in the area feeding Mechanicsburg, but both are urban/suburban areas. Mechanicsburg is further west from the city of Harrisburg. Camp Hill is right across the river from Harrisburg and is more closely surrounded by other cities. Camp Hill and Mechanicsburg are good places to live.

Mechanicsburg Area High is much bigger (1000+ students) than Camp Hill which is a small high school.

Personally, I think Mechanicsburg Area School district sounds like the best fit.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:51 PM

Any information on the Boil Springs area? Not to many homes for sale in that area from what I've seen.

How does the Elizabeth Town (area south of Hershey) compare to Camp Hill and the areas West of Harrisburg?

Old 05-21-2014, 06:33 PM

3,605 posts, read 5,354,457 times
Don't know much about them. I've heard Elizabethtown is nice.

But seriously ... think about Mechanicsburg.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:48 PM

4,267 posts, read 10,388,879 times
Boiling Springs is a pretty small area. The postal address zones of Carlisle, Mechanicsburg, Dillsburg, and Mt Holly Springs are more expansive. Since Churchtown in Monroe Twp has a BS address, the South Middleton school/coextensive with township/Boiling Springs HS has much more territory with Carlisle or "Holly" addresses or even Gardners than it does with a BS address.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:02 AM

I just returned from interview in Harrisburg and was offered the position! There are a few more steps to the hiring process but it is time to start further looking into what the area has to offer.

This is going to be an extremely difficult move for us but the long term benefits outweight the uprooting. So with that in mind I've stated in my previous posts, schools and a great environment for my 9th grade teenage daughter is number 1.

With this new position I will be permitted to commute up to 60 miles from lemoyne area. Of course I don't need to utilize that full distance but bring me to the question. I will also be provided a company vehicle.

If one could raise there family anywhere within a 60 mile radio us of Harrisburg, have a home priced between $225 and $265k, be in the countryside, with an acre piece of land and have the best schools the area has to offer, where would you go??

I began looking in the area NW of Harrisburg, between Harrisburg and State College. My family is of course from Erie, PA and the thought of living in the direction of driving back I thought would be ideal? I could possibly shave a half hour or more of the time when family was comming or us going...

Please provide your honest thoughts....I want the best for my kids more than anything.

Thank you....

Old 06-01-2014, 12:17 AM

98 posts, read 87,490 times
if you want rural, Perry County is about as rural as it gets. Small towns include Millerstown, Liverpool, Duncannon, just to name a few. Most of these towns are a thirty to forty minute drive from Harrisburg, finding a house in your price range should not be an issue. Greenwood school is a good very small school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area