U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 07:22 AM

4,267 posts, read 10,411,554 times

Advertisements

I'm not Jewish but I've been with enough NYC bred Jews in the past that I appreciate a decent bagel. Not sure where to get one anymore in the Hbg/Hershey area though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 11:55 AM

84 posts, read 113,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvmdmd View Post
Sorry to hear you're not happy there. I really feel your pain. I am quite familiar with that area. I lived there for several years. It's a very insular, not very friendly area in general. Being from Mexico probably isn't helping matters much either as people there tend to be not be the most accepting of outsiders. If you aren't a native if the area you will never be accepted. The biggest problem your going to have is isolation geographically; look at what is surrounding you. There is literally nothing interesting around Hershey until you get at least an hour and a half drive east or south of where you are (Philly or DC/Baltimore). I moved to that area after living in Philly thinking how different can it be it's only a little over an hour away. But a lot changes in that hour or so drive. Basically, you are in the middle of the country now where the mentality is centered around farm life, hunting, and super conservative old school views of the world. The place is stuck in the 80s.
Have you had the chance to visit any malls yet? The food and shopping in the area are seriously lacking. People there tend to have very simple taste in food, so mostly you're going to find pizza and sandwich/burger joints.
I had to do most of my shopping online because aside from Walmart and Target, there is very little in terms of places to buy things. Most of the malls I saw looked more like flea markets than malls. If you want to visit nice shops you will need to drive to either King of Prussia or Towson MD, which are the closest places that have higher end shopping. There are only a handful of interesting restaurants. No Whole Foods, Fresh Market, or Trader Joes. Even the nicer chain restaurants like Cheesecake Factory or Ruth's Chris will never open there because there is not the demographic to support their success.
Downtown Hershey is non-existent. Downtown Harrisburg is small, dirty and very dangerous even during the day. I would not recommend going downtown at night. There's just not much to do or eat there and there seems the be a redneck mentality permeating most of what I saw.
Hopefully, your stay will not be permanent and you can relocate to a different area in a year or 2. Norther NJ, MD, Northern VA, and Philly are places nearby which I would recommend highly. You're going to pay about double if not more for your house, but you get what you pay for. There's a reason the cost of living in central PA is dirt cheap. It sucks and there's nothing there.
This might be the most comical thing I've ever read here. I'll tell you right now that 99% of it is wrong.

Firstly Hershey is in the middle of farm country. We have Amish, we have corn, we have fields all over. You have to drive through hours of farmland just to get to it. That's Pennsylvania in general. It's a very agriculture state. So if you don't like farms, or country life, why exactly would you move there? Yes, there is not going to be much infrastructure, and all of those fancy little city slicker chains....yeah we don't need them, want them, or care for them. We are not dependent on them and we have a vibrant local economy where small business thrives most of the time. It's not that we don't have the demographics to support these chains success...it's mostly because we don't need the success of these chains.

The mentality is what you make it. To assume any area of the nation is a certain political belief style...well that's stupidity from you. That's your bias coming out and showing your problems. That has nothing to do with the area at all. If it is very conservative, good for them for thinking for themselves, and not being a puppet to the popular political misgivings of those in power. If you want liberal destruction and degradation...move to Philly or Harrisburg...or Pittsburgh. Easy choices all of them.

Ironically this person says he's from Mexico and that could be an issue. We have a large Hispanic population. It's over flowing. It's becoming an issue to be honest. I was a 911 responder for years and when I was leaving for the military...it was getting harder....because I couldn't understand my patients anymore. I cannot speak Spanish and they couldn't speak English which made for a fun game of hand signals while moving to the hospital. So being Mexican has absolutely 0% to do with anything.

Hershey is a wonderful area and I wouldn't take anything Mvmdmd says seriously or even read his post unless you need something to laugh at. Point is...if you want to live in the Ghetto...move to the ghetto.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area