U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2007, 10:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,962 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone. I have been able to gather some great information from previous threads, but I need your help. I just received a promotion in which I will be relocating to Harrisburg, PA from Alabama. I will be visiting the area in the next 2 weeks to view apartments. I am a 26 year old female, looking for a 1 bedroom apt, at least 650 sq feet, $750 maximum monthly rent. I will be moving alone, so I would like to be in a safe area that is also remotely close to shopping areas as well. I have reviewed suggestions that Linglestown and Susquehanna township are really nice areas, but I am unable to distinguish which apartments are in these areas when perusing on-line sites. Any suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 11:58 AM

76 posts, read 245,768 times
Hello!
I have some family in Harrisburg, and while I am not overly familiar with the area, I can give you some recommendations that will hopefully help you out.
http://www.desouzabrown.com/apartments.htm
That is the website of a management company that owns many complexes in the Harrisburg/Hershey area. My brother and sister-in-law lived in Treeview when they first were married, and they liked it. The apartments are clean, modern and spacious...not fancy by any means, but up-to-date appliances and a good amount of space.
I also know someone who lives in the Springford complex, which is in the same general area of Treeview. They are bit pricier, I think, but the grounds are nice, and the apartments are well-kept.
That part of Harrisburg is not far from downtown and is VERY close to Routes 81 and 283. The Paxtonia/Heatherfield/Linglestown area is in the very thick of H-burg's sprawl, which means that you are only minutes from all the big box stores (Target, Best Buy, etc) as well as malls and restaurants.
Good luck!

Old 01-09-2008, 06:00 PM

222 posts, read 1,336,942 times
chedck out Catalina Lane... its off arlington in the colonial park area, behind colonial park diner.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:06 PM

19 posts, read 55,225 times
I live in Marietta - if you triangulate between Lancaster, Harrisburg, and York, it is near the center. I work in Harrisburg - my commute varies between 30 and 60 minutes depending on traffic. (30 mile commute)

Middletown is abut 15 miles from Harrisburg. It is smaller, and there are some really nice areas. Since Penn State Harrisburg is located in Middletown, there is usually an abundance of affordable housing. Elizabethtown is a bit further from Harrisburg, but is a smaller town still. There is also a college there, so again, lots of affordable housing.

For 750 / month you could almost get into a house here. Property values are pretty low and so are interest rates at the moment.

Re: Colonial Park - That's pretty close to the Capital, and there are some really nice areas off the side streets. Traffic does tend to get a bit congested on Colonial Park Drive / Progress ave, however.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:03 PM

3,521 posts, read 8,614,628 times
The apartment complex where I currently live (Eagle's Crest) is good for what you are looking for IMO. It is located right near I-83 at the Union Deposit interchange (Exit 48) and is within 3 miles of the US 22 commercial strip to the north and the Harrisburg Mall to the south. Some people will say this complex has some shady characters, but I've never had a problem in the 7 1/2 years I've been here (however, I am male).

If you are working in downtown Harrisburg, I'd avoid Linglestown; the commute would be a real hassle, assuming you are not coming from Birmingham (which I think is the only urban area in Alabama distinctly larger than Harrisburg).

Old 01-03-2009, 04:42 PM

4 posts, read 12,349 times
i am relocating to harrisbug and used to live in lancaster county and i am wondering if living on the west shore is nice and if it is more affordable than the east shore if you could give me feed back that would be great thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area