U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2014, 09:30 AM

145 posts, read 219,958 times

Advertisements

Many here may have read my previous posts, but to break it down, my family and I are in the early stages of a relocation from NW PA (Erie) to the Harrisburg area mostly due to new job opportunities. I have received an offer with the State and will be working out of Lemonyne (day shift).

My wife interviewed last week for a nursing position at Hershey Med. and all things indicate she may here of an offer in the next week or so.

Many here have been very helpful in our search for new home. During our recent visit last week we focused heavy on the Palmyra area with my wifes commute to work in mind. Our kids (one going into 5th grade and the other 9th grade) would love to use the amenitites such as Hershey Park, the Giant Center and some of the things the East Shore has to offer. The Palmyra School District seems to be very good and maybe even spliting haris with some of the best in the area?

I am a little uncomfortable with the housing options in the area? There are some newer developments going up and the prices seem that they could be within our range, but inventory seems to be slim?

It appears, and correct me if I am wrong that on the (west shore) Mechnicsburg (CV Schools) you housing options might be greater. Older well build homes with mature landscape for a decent price...

I would really like to find a good farm house with an acre or two out east to allow for a easy commute for my wife but not be in a "subdivision" per say... I'm not sure this is possible and remain in a good school district?

I thank all of those who replied, it is such a tough decision. Our plan now is to rent in the Palmyra area for a year then see what pops up on the market.

Thanks again...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 11:10 AM

52 posts, read 87,885 times
I say Mechanicsburg. Palmyra is somewhat isolated, sandwiched between Hershey and Lebanon which are not the two most exciting places in the world. Overall I would go with the west shore over the east shore. Good luck.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:09 PM

26 posts, read 34,263 times
Definitely Mechanicsburg, be careful with Palmyra.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:29 PM

Be careful with Palmyra? What does that mean? I am here only for straqight forward opinions, good or bad...

Old 06-26-2014, 11:43 AM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 489,162 times
Hello,

If you move to Palmyra your commute to Lemoyne could be interesting.
If you move to Mechanicsburg your wife's commute to Hershey could be a headache. Neither commute is terrible, but definitely something to consider.

If your looking for a "good farm house" I would suggest Palmyra or Campbelltown.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:09 PM

40 posts, read 78,713 times
What about the Dillsburg area? I have been looking around at real estate too and I see lots of homes on land there. I'm sorry I don't know anything about the schools there. I have friends who live in the Millersburg area, that's north on 322, and commute to Hershey and Harrisburg. I would not want to do it myself but the area up there is beautiful with lots of land. I think the schools are really good up there. The Newport area on the north west shore should have some land too. I live out in the Newville area, west of Carlisle. Beautiful land and farms out here. Less traffic as far as commuting to Lemoyne from here, but a long commute for your wife. You're in a bad spot as far as the commute for each of you. Linglestown might have a home you like and make the commute kind of central for you. Make it as easy on yourself as you can. I think there's plenty of things for the kids to do anywhere. It's any easy drive to any of the parks and recreational areas. Hope that helps.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:11 AM

Looking at the neighborhood scott web site it is somewhat disturbing to me where they rate the crime index in Harisburg City. A 4 is the current rating.

I hope the area is very much like the city of erie, where crime is more or less isolated to cerain areas of town? This makes you feel somewhat uneasy when your planning a relocation there with young children.

Why can't the area seem to get a grip on crime? Its not "that" large of a city. I know here gun crime has jumped way up, but it is always on the news how police are stepping up more visible patrols to try to keep a lid on it.

I dont plan on living in the city, but might wish to attend an event downtown at some point...Is it reasonable to come and go out of this city?

Old 09-21-2014, 03:27 PM

52 posts, read 87,885 times
Mechanicsburg without question.

Old 10-04-2014, 05:22 AM

165 posts, read 201,557 times
Something else to keep in mind, the gasoline tax in Pennsylvania is 50.7 cents per gallon (that will go up), that expense will add up with long commutes. Just wanted to throw that out there.

To give my two cents worth, given the choice, I would take Mechanicsburg and the decision would be easy. PABlondie has a great point about Linglestown and even Hummelstown would be worth looking into.

Which is the more important factor: the commute or the farmhouse? Then you will have your answer. Good Luck.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:16 PM

165 posts, read 201,557 times
I correct myself, the gasoline tax is nearly 42 cents a gallon not 50.7, still expensive and it ranks fifth in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area