U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2014, 06:17 AM

1 posts, read 615 times

Advertisements

Hello, I currently live in lancaster county and am renting. I moved in with my girlfriend about 7 years ago and she has been here for 4 or more years before that. Her daughter had gotten into trouble with the law at age 13 and it is in the lease that he can evict us is she gets convicted of the crime she got in trouble for. Since I've lived here it had taken him years to replace dishwasher, months to repair burners on stove, months to repair toilet and an ac that broke 2 weeks ago. he constantly tries to blame everything that breaks on us and is suggesting that I sabotaged the ac (one of the metal thingy's in the plug broke out, stuck in the wall when unplugging) and when my step daughter got in trouble he called up asking about it (we dont know how he knew in the first place). we susspect he wants to evict us (which were ready to get away from him anyway). My step daughters court case is coming up at the end of month and lease says we need 60 days notice to move. were worried his eviction will keep us from getting another apt or finding one in time before getting kicked out. I'm not sure what to do. weve even considered just moving now to get away from him and paying his fee when we can afford it (like $10 a month) but not sure how to handle this. He has consistantly taken large amounts of time to respond to repair request and always has a comment about us being the cause of it. And when he dose repair/replace something, its usually with another old item from an empty rental. Over the course of my being here, there were a few times the rent had been late but never more than a week (my girlfriend has an issue with remembering things so sometimes forgot untill I started writing the checks out so as not to get over $100 late fee for a day or more late). since my being here, many other tenants have come and gone and we have always minded our own business and kept to ourselves. We live paycheck to paycheck and dont have allot of options or money to get us out of any situation so we have to plan everything so carefully cause were poor. This is very stressful and its been giving me some server panic attacks lately. Thanks for taking your time to read this!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 08:25 AM

2,662 posts, read 2,416,858 times
Take a look at this first:

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploa...tenant_act.pdf

also google Pennsylvania landlord and tenant law and see what else you can find.

There are some things about your story that seem shady (how the landlord is handling things) and you will need to do a thorough review of your lease agreement - but if you read the laws you will at least be that much ahead!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area