Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2014, 06:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,004 times

Advertisements

Hi All!

I'll be relocating to the area soon for work and was hoping to get some thoughts on some people that know the area best. I will be working a little east of downtown Harrisburg at basically the intersection of Highway 22 and 39 - halfway in between Grantville and Harrisburg. I'm a 26 year old, male who has traveled the country from coast-to-coast and lived in both large and small cities.

Preferably I'd like to live in an area where nightlife and things to do are within walking distance. Outdoors and hiking are also things I enjoy. Downtown area appears to be the place where there is the most to constantly do, but reading reviews online, it seems that it's dangerous. I've lived in downtown Seattle and Dallas, so I'm curious how much more of a danger downtown Harrisburg could be.

In general, I should be here for about a year and half and just want to be somewhere that will let me experience the city and good times. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 08:07 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,786,314 times
Commuting out from downtown/midtown shouldn't be too bad for normal day shift work. Hopefully others can chime in on particular sites for a single guy as I haven't been one for a while.

It is often harder to find outdoors/hiking info here than it is in other locales that have US forest/park offices or even an REI-like store to buy maps at. Here is a good website to start from: Susquehanna Appalachian Trail Club

Old 07-18-2014, 06:42 AM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 574,061 times
The areas immediately surrounding Downtown are more dangerous than Downtown. Allison Hill is the worst area as far as drugs and crime. Mid-town isn't quite as bad as Allison Hill, but crime is still an issue. If you want to live within walking distance of nightlife and in a relatively safe area, I would recommend Pennsylvania Place, Executive House or some other place downtown.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:25 PM

11 posts, read 15,700 times
Hi, and welcome!
There are definitely good areas and not-so-good areas. Definitely stay out of Allison Hill. There are pockets of good in between pockets of bad. If you have the opportunity, drive around the downtown/Midtown/Uptown areas to see what you like the best. Downtown has the most nightlife, but it's not particularly walkable to a good sized grocery store. The Broad Street Market area is nice, but there are surrounding streets that aren't fabulous. This is coming from a single woman's point of view and it will likely be different from a guy's perspective.

Best wishes to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area