U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2014, 10:00 AM

145 posts, read 224,871 times

Advertisements

As some here have read we are relocating...I thought the most difficult part was going to be gaining employment, but that seems to have taken a back stage to THE BEST PLACE FOR MY FAMILY!!

Time is seriously crunched as I was hoping to get my kids started for the school year. We did most our investigating in the Hershey/Palmyra area due to my wife working as a nurse at Hershey Med. I will be working out of Lemoyne with a company provided vehicle.

I have all things lined up to rent a new apartment in Campbeltown with kids attending Lingle Elem. and Palmyra HS.

We havent checked out the west shore to much but our kinda "not feeling it" in the Palmyra area? The housing seems expensive and limited as far as character of nay type, just cookie cutter type neighborhoods with upwards of a $300k price tag? Then if you want to go "downtown" it seems that Palmyra doesnt offer too much (kinda run down) and Hershey, although nice, is more focused on tourism which I understand and expect.

I am in no way bashing or eliminating anything on the east shore or Palmyra in general, I just want to be content with a good fit for us...everyone has there preference and what they vision as home, I just want to get it right as I feel I have only one shot with the kids and the district they attend.

Mechnicsburg seems appealing? We would like a home with some charm, maybe an historic home that has been refurbished or a farm house with a little land?

Schools are top priority, and the CV district at first scared us away due to its size. Camp Hill seems nice but pricey for what you get, but we dont need the big dream home just something nice in a safe and homey area...

If any responders recommend the CV area, could you narrow down a great apartment for us that places our kids in the best schools?

Thanks....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 04:29 PM

11 posts, read 14,642 times
Maybe try Hummelstown, which is the Lower Dauphin School district. Hummelstown is a cute little 'burg close to Hershey and it also wouldn't be a bad commute to Lemoyne for you.

If you want to be on the West Shore (and close to Lemoyne), perhaps New Cumberland or Mechanicsburg? There is more shopping and amenities closer in Mechanicsburg, but the area of New Cumberland off of Rte 83 (not downtown) has some nice neighborhoods with character homes.

I hope this helps. Good luck in your search!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area