Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2014, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,374 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!
My spouse and I will be relocating to PA in September. We know nothing of PA or the surrounding areas and were hoping to get some good feedback at where we should look. I will be working in Camp Hill, PA and am looking for some ideas on where to get housing.

When are you moving? Sept 2014
Where are you coming from? Albuquerque, NM
Why are you moving? Job offer
Where will you be working? Camp Hill
Have you been here yet? No

Will you buy or rent? Rent
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? Looking for any housing that is pet friendly with a max rent of 1000.000
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? walk up

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Will be married in August no kids
Do you prefer public or private schools? N/A
Do you have pets? Yes 2, Mini Maltipoo and Lab
Do you want or need a yard? prefer a yard but not a deal breaker
Are you keeping a car? yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Activity

What do you want to be closest to?
Work

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Diverse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 12:26 PM

145 posts, read 250,703 times
We are moving to the Harrisburg area from NW PA and I can atleast advice you what my research has found.

If you are working in the Camp Hill area (west shore) you will probably want to live on that side of the river. From what I am hearing traffic can be congested coming from east to west across the city.

Camp Hill is said to be a nice area and from my limited exposure to it seems to be. Mechanicburg which also sits just west of Camp Hill is nice but that whole area I would suggest viewing to see exactly what fits your tastes.

I have a future co-worker that lives over in that area whcih is considered the "Cumerland Valley" area and he likes it.

My best advice...if your working on the west shore - live somewhere over there.

Also coming from a desert climate, you will be experiencing a much different culture, landscape ect..(not bad) just be preapred for the change. I have a brother who lives out west and when he visits here now, he says he feels like he is "in the woods".....

Old 08-05-2014, 01:06 PM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 573,971 times
I would recommend living in Camp Hill or Mechanicsburg. Camp Hill is one of the most coveted suburbs of Harrisburg. Nearby Mechanicsburg is also clean, safe and has a good public school system. I would recommend buying a house relatively quickly. Homes in Central PA are sold relatively cheap.

Moving from Albuquerque you might experience some culture shock. Harrisburg isn't exactly a small town, but most people in Central PA have a small-town, conservative outlook. It normally takes the locals a little while to warm up to transplants, but if you are friendly and outgoing you should be ok.

If you have any specific questions please let me know, I lived in El Paso for three years so I'm somewhat familiar with the area of the country that you will be leaving. I must warn you that after one or two winters you might miss the southwestern climate.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:47 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
Food in the 717 is very bland. Very bland. Very very bland. You will need care packages of red, green, and any other color you might be used to in ABQ.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:01 AM

165 posts, read 232,286 times
As another poster said, if you working there, live over there. I would not buy a house for at least a year, just to see if you like the area. Most likely, you could find a decent place for a grand. Renting houses can be dicey because many owners will not allow pets. There are reasons why homes in that area are sold relatively cheap, if you buy one and then want to leave the area, good luck re-selling it.

I wish you luck in the area.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:35 PM

40 posts, read 95,330 times
I am originally from this area but have been gone for many years. These are my observations on recently returning and looking for an apartment.

The housing stock is very old except for newer apartments and townhouses that are more expensive. What I mean is you will find old carpet, rickety stairs, clanging pipes and toilets that don't flush. So far that is all we are finding. Our budget is lower, $700. Landlords tend to be absentee here.

Cheaper apartments and townhouses are in town on very busy roads, with no yards and on street parking.

If you are looking for a completely smoke free environment you will have great difficulty. Even if the building is smoke free there will be smokers standing outside smoking. In two months of looking I have not found a truly smoke free apartment.

Pets will cost you more and many breeds are not welcome. Most places don't have yards and in towns there are ordinances about barking dogs both indoor and out.

Manufactured housing is on rented lots and the parks have a lot of rules. Make sure you check the park rules before you buy. Some of the parks are really nice though and might be an option for you.

Single home rentals are probably over your budget but sometimes you can negotiate for example to do the lawn care, etc.

I think to make your commute easier I would stay on the west shore. If you don't mind a drive you can head out toward Carlisle and Newville or down to Dillsburg and Mt Holly Springs. These areas are a bit more rural than Camp Hill.

Food is not boring. There are tons of farmers markets and organic growers in addition to Mennonite families that sell great produce. Lots of really healthy food in my opinion but we are vegetarian and that's unusual here. I drive out to a farm where I purchase my organic foods directly from the farmer.

Most people here generally keep to themselves. It's just the way they are. They are not unfriendly. I have met many great people since my return. There is not much diversity of the population and most people I met so far have lived here all their lives.

Well I hope that helps. Best of luck and let me know if I can answer any other questions for you.

Old 08-10-2014, 02:37 PM

165 posts, read 232,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PABlondie View Post
I am originally from this area but have been gone for many years. These are my observations on recently returning and looking for an apartment.

The housing stock is very old except for newer apartments and townhouses that are more expensive. What I mean is you will find old carpet, rickety stairs, clanging pipes and toilets that don't flush. So far that is all we are finding. Our budget is lower, $700. Landlords tend to be absentee here.

Cheaper apartments and townhouses are in town on very busy roads, with no yards and on street parking.

If you are looking for a completely smoke free environment you will have great difficulty. Even if the building is smoke free there will be smokers standing outside smoking. In two months of looking I have not found a truly smoke free apartment.

Pets will cost you more and many breeds are not welcome. Most places don't have yards and in towns there are ordinances about barking dogs both indoor and out.

Manufactured housing is on rented lots and the parks have a lot of rules. Make sure you check the park rules before you buy. Some of the parks are really nice though and might be an option for you.

Single home rentals are probably over your budget but sometimes you can negotiate for example to do the lawn care, etc.

I think to make your commute easier I would stay on the west shore. If you don't mind a drive you can head out toward Carlisle and Newville or down to Dillsburg and Mt Holly Springs. These areas are a bit more rural than Camp Hill.

Food is not boring. There are tons of farmers markets and organic growers in addition to Mennonite families that sell great produce. Lots of really healthy food in my opinion but we are vegetarian and that's unusual here. I drive out to a farm where I purchase my organic foods directly from the farmer.

Most people here generally keep to themselves. It's just the way they are. They are not unfriendly. I have met many great people since my return. There is not much diversity of the population and most people I met so far have lived here all their lives.

Well I hope that helps. Best of luck and let me know if I can answer any other questions for you.
This is a great review, I live on the east side (for now) and it is pretty much the same except for the diversity. I looked at a number of places in Camp Hill before deciding to move elsewhere and I can verify what PABlondie is saying. Best of wishes.

Last edited by Jahodor; 08-10-2014 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area