U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2014, 01:51 PM

2 posts, read 4,897 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving in a few months, and we want to live in a city-like area. He has a job in Hagerstown, and we're trying to keep the commute to forty minutes or less. We're just starting out and can't afford much, and these three areas seem to have affordable rent for our situation right now. We have a cat and are looking for a one or two bedroom apartment that allows pets.

I just wanted to know, what are these areas like? We are going to be living downtown so that's the main part I'm concerned about. Is it safe to live in these areas? Which area (both the city and different streets that would be safer to live in, or parts of downtown) seems safer? What is markedly different about living in Pennsylvania (or WV) than Maryland? I love Maryland, so I'm finding it difficult to leave at all, even temporarily. This will be temporary, though, unless we somehow fall in love with the place.

He has a car, but I don't. So on the days he works I'd like to start volunteering. Are there any good places to volunteer within these towns that anybody knows about? Also, how is the public transportation in these areas? I know this question was asked before, but it was asked three years ago and I suppose I'm hoping that something has changed with this regard. Walking and public transport would be my main source of travel on the days my husband works. While public transport isn't mandatory, it would be nice.

The reason I've put my thread in this area is because my husband and I like Chambersburg best so far, but then again it's the only place we haven't visited together yet, - I've gone through it a few times but never took a good look - because of the affordability and the fact that I can walk to some places of interest according to some things I've found online.

Also, as a side note, would Greencastle or Waynesboro, although they seem smaller, be good places to look into? Again, we'd want to live downtown in these areas.

Last edited by chambersburgmaybe; 09-02-2014 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: adding
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 06:34 PM

200 posts, read 543,196 times
If you already live in Maryland how far is it to these places to visit? I'm thinking that if you love Maryland, you should stay there. It'll be easier, no new drivers license, car insurance, etc.

Maryland has a very centralized government system with the state and counties. Only one income tax form covers both, for example. PA is much more localized. You have state, county, and township or borough. Each have their own laws and taxes... frankly it can be a lot to keep track of. For most people, there is no significant tax savings between MD and PA. Housing costs may be a difference.

I'm not very familiar with West Virginia. It's not as cheap to live there as you might imagine, I don't think.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:12 PM

4,074 posts, read 3,002,407 times
I'm from Chambersburg, so maybe I can help. Are you looking for an inexpensive place to live, or are you looking for a more urban home because of local shops and restaurants?

Downtown Chambersburg is OK in some parts, but it's very relative to where you're looking. Most of the urban sprawl has pushed people into the surrounding townships, but there are still some nice areas within the borough. For example, the Coldbrook area has affordable homes and is a safe place to live.

Downtown Hagerstown is REALLY bad from what I can tell. If you were to move to Hagerstown, the suburbs would probably be best.

I'm not too terribly familiar with Martinsburg, but most people move into new subdivisions. Martinsburg itself is pretty big, so there are a lot of newer and older homes in the city proper.

Greencastle and Waynesboro are nice small towns. Of the two, Greencastle is the nicer, more affluent town. However, the shops and restaurants in places like Chambersburg and Hagerstown are further away.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:56 PM

12,597 posts, read 22,515,348 times
What about Fredericksburg?

Old 09-04-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
What about Fredericksburg?
Fredericksburg, VA is REALLY far from Hagerstown.

Frederick, MD is pretty close, but it is quite expensive to live there.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:13 AM

8 posts, read 11,463 times
I live in Chambersburg, and if you're looking for real city living, you won't find it here. There is no public transportation system. Although we're located off 81, this is still mostly a rural community and has the small town atmosphere. PM me if you'd like more details.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:08 PM

12,597 posts, read 22,515,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
Fredericksburg, VA is REALLY far from Hagerstown.

Frederick, MD is pretty close, but it is quite expensive to live there.
LOL, thanks, that's what I meant (I keep switching the two)

Old 09-05-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
LOL, thanks, that's what I meant (I keep switching the two)
No problem. It's confusing when both are DC suburbs.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:07 AM

2 posts, read 4,897 times
Thanks everyone for the replies!

We're moving downtown because it's more affordable. Like I said, we're just starting out and this would be temporary, we would be renting.

I have been to Martinsburg and Hagerstown, but it's hard to tell with the downtown areas. I haven't yet had a chance to go to Chambersburg, though.

Frederick is a little expensive for our situation right now, but thanks for the suggestion!

The reason why I'm considering PA or WV over MD is because the former two seem to be a lot less expensive.

I know I won't find real city living around these areas, most places seem to have some form of public transportation these days, I just wasn't able to find out much about Chambersburg. If they don't have it, that makes sense that it was hard to find. It's not a deal breaker.

Does anyone have any suggestions for where to live in these downtown areas? For Hagerstown, Potomac street / some parts of Washington street seems okay.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambersburgmaybe View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies!

We're moving downtown because it's more affordable. Like I said, we're just starting out and this would be temporary, we would be renting.

I have been to Martinsburg and Hagerstown, but it's hard to tell with the downtown areas. I haven't yet had a chance to go to Chambersburg, though.

Frederick is a little expensive for our situation right now, but thanks for the suggestion!

The reason why I'm considering PA or WV over MD is because the former two seem to be a lot less expensive.

I know I won't find real city living around these areas, most places seem to have some form of public transportation these days, I just wasn't able to find out much about Chambersburg. If they don't have it, that makes sense that it was hard to find. It's not a deal breaker.

Does anyone have any suggestions for where to live in these downtown areas? For Hagerstown, Potomac street / some parts of Washington street seems okay.
In Chambersburg, I'd recommend the Coldbrook area for affordable housing. There's also the area around Grandview Ave. that has some older ranches from the 1950's and 1960's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area