Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2014, 05:48 PM

3 posts, read 7,863 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I am moving to Hershey in just a few weeks from Michigan and am searching for a single apartment. I am in my 20's and will be working at the hospital so convenience to the medical center is the top priority for me (rather than downtown nightlife). I do not know the area at all and am having trouble finding apartments with good reviews in Hershey (most point out management/cleanliness issues (i.e. Briarcrest apartments)).

Does anyone have any recommendations of clean, newer apartment buildings that would be relatively close to the Hershey medical center? I do not have a set budget but realistically I do not want to go above 900 for a single (would love somewhere closer to 700 for a single, but I am willing to pay more to live somewhere a bit nicer).

I have been searching craigslist and apartmentfinder but I'm going off of nothing, so if anyone has any tips I would greatly appreciate it! I have been in contact with Pennsylvania place and Executive House, but reading an old thread on here...it seemed that people are either very much for or against either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 02:43 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,203,824 times
Madison at Hershey Heights is closer.
The Gardens and The Reserve (on Hershey Road/Route 39)

But those may be a bit higher than your budget. They are nice and closer to Hershey than anything in Harrisburg.

You might also see about doing a short term lease at Madison so you can kinda get your bearings.

Lots of folks at the hospital live at Madison and maybe you can find a room-mate that might make things cheaper.

Hope that helps.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:44 AM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 573,971 times
I agree with lunetunelover, if I were you I would look at Madison Hershey Heights. My coworker lives there and has nothing but good things to say. Seems like mostly professionals living there right now. The surroundings are beautiful and quiet. Its a little pricey for the Harrisburg/Hershey area but I think its worth it. Its a super easy commute to the medical center as well. Remember, if you want to live in a bargain priced apartment complex, you are going to have some interesting neighbors. Hummelstown is a clean and upbeat little town. I lived there for two years and enjoyed it, and only moved away because buying a house there was a little out of my budget.

Penn Place and Executive House are nice and a great option for people who work in Harrisburg. But if you aren't interested in night life, then I don't see a reason for you to live in downtown Harrisburg and commute to Hershey everyday.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:39 PM

Great, thank you so much to both of you for the feedback! I'll search those areas and apartments

Old 09-05-2014, 06:16 PM

11 posts, read 15,699 times
You may also want to check in Hummelstown. It's a cute town that's close to Hershey. There are several apartments in Hummelstown listed on Craigslist.

Good luck to you.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:30 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
In addition to the above, sometimes young professionals working in Hershey start out at http://www.villageofpineford.com (Middletown has convenient grocery shopping, with airport and rail station for out of town getaways) or Springford Apartments | Apartments in Harrisburg, PA

Old 09-11-2014, 12:31 PM

Great, thanks all for the suggestions! I'm taking a trip out there tomorrow to see a few different apartments, including Madison Heights, a listing in hummelstown and springford apartments. I'm a little wary of the village of pineford after reading a bunch of reviews, but still thank you for the suggestion and I may end up checking them out!

Old 09-16-2014, 12:21 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,474,412 times
This was almost 20 years ago, but when my ex was a grad student at the Med School we lived at Briarcrest Gardens and really liked it. Don't know what it looks like now though. But it was within walking distance of the Medical Center.

Only downside that we experienced was sometimes the smell from the Reese's Peanut Butter plant would get overwhelming. The other issue was hearing the concerts at Hershey Park during the summer. Without fail if it was a good band we could not hear anything, but if it was a band that we disliked we could hear the performance as if they were in our living room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area