Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2014, 07:03 AM

12 posts, read 17,034 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I am a physical therapy student that will be going out on an 8 week clinical next summer. Although the summer is far away, I have to submit my top choices for clinical location soon. One of the sites available that I was considering is in Hummelstown. I am willing to drive up to 35 minutes from where I live to the site. Can anyone give thoughts on areas within that radius to look at? My biggest priority is safety. Any apartment complexes or safe neighborhoods known to have rentals will be greatly appreciated. I am currently located in Augusta, GA for school which itself isn't the safest area, but the outer suburbs are very nice, so I'm hoping that it is similar here. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 07:14 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,713,370 times
Hummelstown is a pretty safe area, including the old town (in PA called a "borough") area. It is next to Hershey, home to the Penn State College of Medicine. The Harrisburg metro in general has low crime by nationwide standards, apart from a couple of challenged inner city neighborhoods.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:16 AM

12 posts, read 17,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Hummelstown is a pretty safe area, including the old town (in PA called a "borough") area. It is next to Hershey, home to the Penn State College of Medicine. The Harrisburg metro in general has low crime by nationwide standards, apart from a couple of challenged inner city neighborhoods.
Great to know! Do you know what the general price range is for an apartment in these safer areas is?

Old 09-17-2014, 12:00 PM

165 posts, read 230,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goose14 View Post
Great to know! Do you know what the general price range is for an apartment in these safer areas is?
Most apartments are not going to list their spring and summer 2015 rates in September, find apartments in Hummelstown and contact them, you never know. A starting point in price could be $750 a month.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:13 AM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 569,994 times
Hummelstown is one of the safest suburbs in the Harrisburg area. I rented a house there for two years. It is a higher income, semi-trendy area. Hershey and Palmyra are really safe as well. As a general rule, the closer you are to Harrisburg, the more crime you will encounter. So if you want safety I would look at Hummelstown, Hershey and Palmyra. Even Annville would be within 35 minutes. I would stay away from Lebanon, however. Lebanon has crime issues similar to Harrisburg's.

I inquired about a two bedroom at Brownstone Manor a few years ago. http://www.brownstonemanor.com/ I believe I was quoted $825. These aparments aren't exactly luxurious, but they are within walking distance of the post office, several bars and stores. The waiting list is normally a few months.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:17 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,713,370 times
I wonder if Brownstone Manor will be less uppity now that there is competition: VERDE Luxury Apartment Community
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area