Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 06:59 AM

545 posts, read 1,099,490 times

Advertisements

Does Harrisburg ever have a chance to become a big city, like a Pittsburgh? or will it always be just a small government town? what do you think the future of Harrisburg is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 10:57 AM

4,081 posts, read 3,601,263 times
In its condition, I doubt it will reach the heights of Philadelphia or Pittsburgh. Quite honestly, it's not fit to be the capital of Pennsylvania. All of the wealthy white collar workers that were formerly in Harrisburg have gone to Mechanicsburg, Lancaster, Camp Hill, etc.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:20 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,775,878 times
State government does provide a captive audience of young singles who moved in for state related jobs - lobbyists, consultants, etc. The long term trends might be more favorable for Harrisburg than, say, Hershey, where millennials show up, get bored, and leave even more quickly. For all the political ups and downs the state isn't going to up and move to Dallas, Mexico, or China. The other positive is area-wide, as a logistical service base for the megalopolis - the heart of a zone from, say, Philipsburg NJ to Winchester VA. Harrisburg is better connected by passenger air, rail, and bus than any other location in this zone, even larger Allentown. Segmentation, both in too-small municicpalities and counties, and regionally vs. Lancaster and York, acts as a brake on higher level development of the 717 generally.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:41 AM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 573,351 times
Highly unlikely Harrisburg proper will rival Philly or Pittsburgh anytime soon.

But the Carlisle-Harrisburg-York-Lancaster-Hershey-Lebanon CSA can definitely creep up on Pittsburgh in the next 10-20 years. Urban sprawl is starting to connect these areas more and more everday. Population in the Susquehanna Valley will continue to grow, but I think you can expect more urban sprawl than city growth.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:09 PM

165 posts, read 232,064 times
I have seen a difference between 2013 and 2014 with the growth in the Susquehanna Valley.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:16 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,206,238 times
I see it becoming a mini-Detroit.

so glad I left that dump

Old 10-24-2014, 03:38 AM

165 posts, read 232,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
I see it becoming a mini-Detroit.

so glad I left that dump

Honestly, I feel the same way and I lived in a suburb right outside the city and you can see what is coming not only in the city but the areas right around it. I hope I am wrong on this.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:43 PM

654 posts, read 629,093 times
I don't feel that Harrisburg has ever completely recovered from the 1972 flood. I am not sure about it becoming a mini Detroit, but many things in the area are not much changed from the mid 70's. Now of course, it is not easy to know whether the flood ultimately was to blame or has it been the general economic malaise that has hit industrial rust belt areas starting in the mid '70's but, nevertheless it has not exactly thrived since that period.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:42 PM

545 posts, read 1,099,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
I don't feel that Harrisburg has ever completely recovered from the 1972 flood. I am not sure about it becoming a mini Detroit, but many things in the area are not much changed from the mid 70's. Now of course, it is not easy to know whether the flood ultimately was to blame or has it been the general economic malaise that has hit industrial rust belt areas starting in the mid '70's but, nevertheless it has not exactly thrived since that period.
New Orleans came back after Hurricane Katrina. Hoboken NJ came back after Hurricane Sandy. You really think a flood in 72 is the one thing keeping a city down? not a chance

Old 01-27-2015, 11:59 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,557,378 times
Being honest I think Philly and Pittsburgh honestly have way to much of a lead for Harrisburg to ever catch up to them. Yet I honestly see Harrisburg staying as the third most important metro area. Although the Harrisburg-Carlisle-Lebannon metro are population was 656,781 in 2007 compared to the metro area of Lehigh Valley of 821,623 in 2010. The Scranton–Wilkes-Barre–Hazleton metro area population was 563,936 in 2011. Stats are a bit old and I would definitely welcome new ones in this regard. Harrisburg and Lehigh are very close to each other with Lehigh having the advantage here.

There are some major advantages for Harrisburg vs Lehigh Valley and Scranton-Wilkes-Barre. One is the fact Harrisburg is in between Philly and Pittsburgh and is directly north of Baltimore which is closer then Philly and Washington DC is only slightly further away from Harrisburg then Philly. This actually ends up making Harrisburg the logistical hub for the northeast and midatlantic.

Then there is the fact that Harrisburg is on the Keystone corridor which makes moving freight via rail extremely cheap with Harrisburg being one of the three main hubs of Norfolk Southern (the other two are Chicago and Atlanta). The line going towards Philly is electrified so this also gives Harrisburg rather nice commuter rail service all the way to NYC...which is something Scranton wishes it currently had. Then there is the fact Harrisburg is the state capital. That means the area has a lot of state and federal jobs. Harrisburg also several military installations like the War College, Carlisle Barracks, naval support base, etc. Overall in terms of importance Harrisburg is usually thought of as the third most important city in Harrisburg for all the above reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area