U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2014, 12:16 AM

23 posts, read 37,606 times

Advertisements

Greetings to all--

My wife and I may be relocating to the Harrisburg area in the coming year and we are seeking some expertise and/or opinions on which sections of the greater Harrisburg area would likely make the most sense for us to consider in any potential relocation.

Here is a bit of a background on us and our wants/needs:

1. We would be moving from Northwest Ohio (Toledo suburbs) where we currently own an ~1,800 sq. ft. house (2-story ranch w/ 2-car garage and 1/3 acre yard) in a relatively new (10 year old) subdivision. We would like to find something relatively similar (if possible) in a price range under $180k.

2. Our family consists of just two married adults in the late 20's-mid 30's age range with no plans for children (though we do have 2 cats and a small dog). As such, we would like SOME degree of space for our animals to be able to go outside (e.g., a fenced-in yard).

3. Because we're not necessarily planning on having children, elementary/secondary schools are not necessarily a huge consideration for us--though we care greatly about education as my job would be in the higher education sector. We would definitely like to be somewhere near HACC due to this reason.

4. We're pretty simple in our other wants/needs: essentially, we would like to be within a reasonable proximity of eating establishments (chains and unique are both acceptable) and would like to have access to a park within a reasonable driving distance for walking our dog and enjoying the exercise. We are both politically progressive, but have grown up in rather conservative environments--so while we would welcome an area that has more civic activities as a plus--we're not opposed to living near virtually any segments of the population.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated and welcomed. If I can provide any further details or answer any additional questions, please let me know.

Thank you in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 07:06 AM

107 posts, read 253,810 times
You can live very close from HACC while living on a suburban/rural with low crime and somewhat affordable housing (I doubt as affordable as Ohio):

Upper Susquehanna township (between I-81 and a mile north of Linglestown Rd)
Enola/East Pennsboro (by i-81 directly west of the river)

We also have two other decent-sized higher education campuses: Penn State Harrisburg (around Middletown, PA) and Messiah College south of Mechanicsburg (if the religious connection doesn't bother you). I think there are a few small colleges around as well.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:18 AM

4,267 posts, read 10,418,321 times
To the post #2 suggestions perhaps look around Middletown as well. Middling schools but home to the Penn State branch campus, and airport, Amtrak, and highways for getaways. It is a bit less prominent as a dining destination but not far from numerous restaurants around the I-83/I-283/US 322 "Eisenhower Interchange" area. At some point airport owned land in Lower Swatara Twp east of the PA 230 exit from the airport connector expressway and at the bottom of the Penn State hill is supposed to start sprouting a Sheetz, motels, and restaurants.

Strangely enough we know several NW Ohio/Monroe MI area folks who have moved to the Harrisburg area. The Hershey [Chocolate] Co. recruited from U of Toledo for several years which explains a few of them.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:39 AM

I appreciate the responses given so far. I would almost certainly be at HACC (if in the area) and really enjoy being "close" (i.e., less than 5 minutes) to town without being "in" town. Both of the suggestions given (Upper Susquehanna Twp & Middletown) seem potentially promising (especially the former). With that said, my only concern is that we may not be able to find our style of house in that region (e.g., "ranch" with 2+ car garage) as Zillow pretty much shows only condos as being available that could be problematic for our pet situation (since we would likely be unable to put a fence in an HOA).

Does this seem like a reasonable assessment of the areas mentioned or am I missing something?

Old 12-11-2014, 09:49 AM

5,048 posts, read 8,054,373 times
We don't live in Harrisburg but have explored doing so. We stop several times a years for many years, spending a few days. We enjoy the downtown, the concept of City Island, Wildwood Park, the historic, etc. etc.

Some people don't find Zillow reliable.

Get on Realtor.com. Harrisburg, PA. Click the upper right hand area where it says something about 'see on map'. You could live north or south of ne or even se of 81 and hop on and head down to your school or any of the activities. Living directly west of the school, you'd be blocked by the tracks but if you live closer to 81 you could circumvent that . Or a little south. Fool around with it...some will say pending but many others come up. Then ask here of those who live there how they like the individual homes and streets. All the best.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:27 PM

4,267 posts, read 10,418,321 times
Lot sizes tend to be much smaller in Harrisburg than they are in many of the country's smaller cities that would otherwise seem comparable. Any <10 yr old subdivision (since this is 2014, that's 2004 and newer!) would have been subject to stormwater management rules that essentially ensure each would have an HOA, with its concomitant fees and restrictions. Just about any of these newer subdivisions would not have detached multi-car garage homes under $180k. You will most likely have to compromise on the age of home around here if that's a fixed budget. (Not having HOA fees should expand your budget a bit.)

Old 02-17-2015, 02:53 PM

My apologies for necro'ing my own thread, but I was curious about anyone's knowledge about some of the surrounding communities, as well. Since HACC has 5 campuses (Harrisburg, Lebanon, York, Lancaster, and Gettysburg), would any of these regions seem to be a more appropriate fit?

This entire region is pretty intriguing to me from a few different standpoints as I used to live in a community that was predominately Old Order Amish (in Northern Indiana--no covered buggies there), love Civil War history, and have a strong civic interest that living in a state capital could potentially fulfill.

In reading through various forums, I have found that most consider of the non-Harrisburg locales to be rather conservative, though in different forms (e.g., York has a different brand of conservatism than does Lancaster). We largely keep to ourselves, but there might be a personal preference of having at least some like-minded/progressive neighbors wherever we end up, though I've lived in enough politically-diverse areas to not have this be a complete deal-breaker.

Any thoughts on the five communities presented and how they would fit based on my OP would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-17-2015, 04:29 PM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 489,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieV610 View Post
My apologies for necro'ing my own thread, but I was curious about anyone's knowledge about some of the surrounding communities, as well. Since HACC has 5 campuses (Harrisburg, Lebanon, York, Lancaster, and Gettysburg), would any of these regions seem to be a more appropriate fit?

This entire region is pretty intriguing to me from a few different standpoints as I used to live in a community that was predominately Old Order Amish (in Northern Indiana--no covered buggies there), love Civil War history, and have a strong civic interest that living in a state capital could potentially fulfill.

In reading through various forums, I have found that most consider of the non-Harrisburg locales to be rather conservative, though in different forms (e.g., York has a different brand of conservatism than does Lancaster). We largely keep to ourselves, but there might be a personal preference of having at least some like-minded/progressive neighbors wherever we end up, though I've lived in enough politically-diverse areas to not have this be a complete deal-breaker.

Any thoughts on the five communities presented and how they would fit based on my OP would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
I would look into York. It seems that the locals in York are more welcoming to transplants when compared to Lancaster or Harrisburg. I think there are a few reasons for this, like the fact that Lancaster has such a strong Amish culture. Amish people are known for their rudeness and keeping to themselves. York has less of an Amish heritage, and more of a traditional Irish/Scottish type rural-American culture. I find people are somewhat friendlier in York, where you are much more likely to hear a friendly greeting from a stranger or have someone hold the door for you. IMO, Harrisburg has sort of a quasi East Coast edge to it, most people aren't exactly outgoing and friendly. I'm not sure how much you care about the general friendliness of an area? There are days here when I really miss the two places where I have lived previously, Western PA and Texas, because of the general friendliness and sense of community.

As far as having like-minded/progressive neighbors, I don't know very many middle/upper class people here that I would consider progressive.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:34 PM

49 posts, read 126,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieV610 View Post
Greetings to all--

My wife and I may be relocating to the Harrisburg area in the coming year and we are seeking some expertise and/or opinions on which sections of the greater Harrisburg area would likely make the most sense for us to consider in any potential relocation.

Here is a bit of a background on us and our wants/needs:

1. We would be moving from Northwest Ohio (Toledo suburbs) where we currently own an ~1,800 sq. ft. house (2-story ranch w/ 2-car garage and 1/3 acre yard) in a relatively new (10 year old) subdivision. We would like to find something relatively similar (if possible) in a price range under $180k.

2. Our family consists of just two married adults in the late 20's-mid 30's age range with no plans for children (though we do have 2 cats and a small dog). As such, we would like SOME degree of space for our animals to be able to go outside (e.g., a fenced-in yard).

3. Because we're not necessarily planning on having children, elementary/secondary schools are not necessarily a huge consideration for us--though we care greatly about education as my job would be in the higher education sector. We would definitely like to be somewhere near HACC due to this reason.

4. We're pretty simple in our other wants/needs: essentially, we would like to be within a reasonable proximity of eating establishments (chains and unique are both acceptable) and would like to have access to a park within a reasonable driving distance for walking our dog and enjoying the exercise. We are both politically progressive, but have grown up in rather conservative environments--so while we would welcome an area that has more civic activities as a plus--we're not opposed to living near virtually any segments of the population.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated and welcomed. If I can provide any further details or answer any additional questions, please let me know.

Thank you in advance!
I would recommend Susquehanna Township area for sure. That will be low traffic to HACC, nice clean area with good property values and lots of scenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area