Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 10:18 AM

113 posts, read 131,576 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering what people's general, overall view of York is--economy, cost of living, things to do, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 10:00 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,576,227 times
From an outsider's point of view, York seems to be a pretty crime-ridden area. The economy seems to be pretty strong, but the crime seems unusually high for a city of its size. Although, York does seem to have quite a bit to do recreation wise.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:57 AM

52 posts, read 108,713 times
Crime is bad in York. It's pretty cheap to live there (which isn't always a good thing). There is not much to do there. But it really depends on where you are coming from. If you are already in a crumby little town in the NE or Mid-West, it's probably pretty similar to that anyway. If you are coming from somewhere like NYC, DC, or Philly, you are probably going to be miserable living in York.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:04 AM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 569,854 times
The economy is strong by PA standards.

Cost of living is low.

Things to do? Baltimore is a short drive down I-83

I guess crime is high for a city of its' size. However, most crime occurs between people involved in nefarious activities, in sketchy parts of town and in the middle of the night.

I actually think York and Lancaster are the best areas to live in Central PA, because of the strength of the local economies, col and proximity to major cities. The explosion of the Hispanic population and young professionals moving in is creating a decent mix of people as well.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:49 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,912,122 times
Great place to make your million and move on. Strong economy, low cost of living, decent housing, generally honest contractors, service workers. Decent restaurants, quality medical care, decent shopping (major big box stores and quick trips to Lancaster or MD for higher end items). Lots to do in the radius of Gettysburg, Lancaster and Baltimore and in between. A 2 hour drive to Philadelphia, easy access to Harrisburg or Baltimore airports. Lancaster offers train service to NYC. Live out of the downtown/city limits and certain neighborhoods; most of the crime is targeted and related to illegal activity. Taxes are very high in the city, education is dismal. Other parts of York, with York mailing addresses are in suburbs~Springettsbury Township, parts of Windsor Township, Spring Garden Township, West York, Dallastown/York Township. All of these have a variety of options for affordable housing, and decent school systems in York Suburban, Dallastown and Central.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:03 PM

129 posts, read 124,464 times
I’ll tell you this. . I don’t live there, but do work there and getting in and out makes you feel like you are trapped. York is really packed. I a lot of it has to do with the industrial jobs, shopping along with the housing all being in the same areas. Along with Route 30 being the main bypass to get to other areas it makes driving in and around there hell.A normal 5 minute drive could take you 15 and that’s not talking about rush hours traffic when all the plants are letting out. I have a saying about certain places; they like to operate bigger than they actually are, and York is one of the cities I have that opinion on. I personally would not want to live in York.
As far as crime and such I only can only go by what I see on the local news, which a hardly watch, but as an outsider looking in, I don’t think there is an epidemic. I would suggest not living in the city proper, but maybe in one of the outlying areas, which are really scenic on a nice day.

Old 12-06-2014, 05:48 PM

121 posts, read 257,478 times
bigben touched on it, but the high crime rate is mostly relegated to the very bad parts of the city. It is VERY EASY to avoid these areas, it rarely spills over and you can literally drive around and see it, there is no deception to the crime here. The traffic does suck though, the area was not designed for the population it now carries. Still, I think the area offers a good blend of that rural, but not too rural dynamic those looking for a slower pace and more laid back atmosphere without being relegated to BFE.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:54 PM

62 posts, read 83,468 times
I live in btwn Lanc and York and there is no way Id every want to move to York. Crime is getting really bad and going to get worse since they just decide to make major cuts on the police force. No clue about the job situation. COL is cheaper b/c not many would want to live there unless you dont have a choice b/c thats where you work.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:34 PM

325 posts, read 360,719 times
Lol, I now live by Philadelphia and Camden. I guess one's perception of out-of-control crime is all relative.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:05 PM

87 posts, read 182,461 times
Default The first thing that comes to mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKite View Post
I'm wondering what people's general, overall view of York is--economy, cost of living, things to do, etc.?
The first thing that comes to mind when you say York, PA are shootings. WGAL news covers Lancaster, York, Harrisburg and I would say that York and Harrisburg run neck to neck in shootings and crime. Sadly, York is smaller than Harrisburg, but York makes the news just as often if not more so. Sad.
York has some really decent restaurants. Not high-end, but decent.
The people are nice, more laid back then say Lancaster. BTW I live in Lancaster and
we have a fair amount of people working in this county from York, PA.
As for things to do, are you talking for adults or adults with kids?
The York economy is doing good, not great, but good. Cat hurt the area when it moved out and Harley isn't what it use to be.
It's really easy to get to Baltimore from York, also Lancaster, Harrisburg, Philly, King of Prussia area, etc.
If you have the option, move to Lancaster instead. There are some really nice towns in Lancaster County.
Whatever you decide, Welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area