Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2015, 06:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,121 times

Advertisements

I've been looking into moving to PA. To finish school. I found d that there are more condos and apartments in the Harrisburg area than other areas. I have a son who is seven and want to be in a good school district for him as well as be close to shopping, restaurants, and some night life from time to time. I want to know the better areas that me and my family can feel safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 08:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,539 times
Could not be happier than in Hershey (hence my username!) Safe, clean, GREAT school district. Harrisburg can be rough in spots, be sure to look carefully. The west shore of the Susquehanna, which goes through the city, is generally a more sought after location than the east. Nightlife in downtown Harrisburg isn't bad, though, good eateries and some decent clubs. If you have kids and can afford it, however, Hershey deserves consideration (15 minutes from downtown Harrisburg). Best of luck!

Old 01-16-2015, 09:37 AM

12 posts, read 20,137 times
I have friends who are luring me to move to PA and they swear by cumberland valley schools. The towns there are Mechanicsburg, Enola, Camp hill (no school busses, so you have to walk or drive to school) Shermanshiretown (how ever you spell it) and Hummelstown is cheaper than Hershey, but close enough for the perks. Good luck to you. If you can afford it, seek a private school. They offer scholarships and financial aid. There is something called Common Core which is an experimental curriculum mandated to all public schools and many children are suffering psychologically from it. Teachers hate it, parents hate it. Read up on it. (youtube common core math) Good luck on searching for the right place. My husband and I are staying close to Mechanicsburg since it has a skate park, a nice Wegmans supermarket nearby (they have a Starbucks i think) target, Barnes and noble and they offer 1st Friday, a fun street festival with food, arts, and performers.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:00 PM

165 posts, read 231,154 times
If you are going to live in an apartment near Harrisburg, try to find a place that was not built in the 1970's or before. These places have structural flaws and have mold issues. Some places are still using electric heat which will cost a small fortune in the winter time.

The old saying applies here... You get what you pay for. The older apartments that are cheaper will have not only have issues with the structure but the neighborhood. These complexes will range from questionable to dangerous, depending on the area.

I would recommend seeing apartments early in the morning, sunset and on weekends. You will get a feel for the neighborhood and if you sign a lease that has a mold addendum, watch out.

There are apartment areas close to Harrisburg on both the East and West side that have had similar problems. Please choose carefully if you want to live near the city. If you want to live in the city, Midtown is your best bet, affordable housing and you should be OK, but I wouldn't live anywhere else in the city.

I would pay attention to what the previous posters typed, they got it right.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:25 AM

49 posts, read 71,275 times
I have a best friend who lives in Carlisle in addition to her family who live in Harrisburg and she has been dealing with racism in the schools. In fact her children have been harassed by other children and the issues were ignored by administration. This is a reason why I was hesitant to move to Harrisburg. Its sad that this occurs, and as a mother and human services professional I just couldn't imagine sending my child to school to be mistreated based on skin color.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:12 PM

165 posts, read 231,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiquePBC View Post
I have a best friend who lives in Carlisle in addition to her family who live in Harrisburg and she has been dealing with racism in the schools. In fact her children have been harassed by other children and the issues were ignored by administration. This is a reason why I was hesitant to move to Harrisburg. Its sad that this occurs, and as a mother and human services professional I just couldn't imagine sending my child to school to be mistreated based on skin color.
A neighbor I met in the area had a daughter who was picked on not only in the apartment complex but at the school the little girl was attending. One evening she was pushed off her bike and broke her arm by one of the young thugs at the complex. I was told kids picked on her and said racist things to her at both places. The parents ended up moving to the Hershey area. I have heard other stories about Harrisburg, Carlisle even places like Mechanicsburg and Camp Hill. I don't remember anyone saying anything nice about the public schools in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area