U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2015, 02:15 AM

2 posts, read 1,278 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm going to be relocating to the Harrisburg area at the end of April for work. The job site is actually just west of Elizabethtown. I'm looking for a 1 bedroom apartment that is in a safe area and is overall a pretty nice place. I've narrowed down apartments to 2 complexes - Aspen Hill and Spring Valley. Do either of these fit the description? They both seem to have pretty good reviews. Which neighborhood is better? What about proximity to shopping, stores, restaurants, that kind of thing? Right now I'm leaning more towards Aspen Hill but wanted to reach out and get opinions from everyone!

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 09:55 AM

165 posts, read 200,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devaughnn View Post
Hello,

I'm going to be relocating to the Harrisburg area at the end of April for work. The job site is actually just west of Elizabethtown. I'm looking for a 1 bedroom apartment that is in a safe area and is overall a pretty nice place. I've narrowed down apartments to 2 complexes - Aspen Hill and Spring Valley. Do either of these fit the description? They both seem to have pretty good reviews. Which neighborhood is better? What about proximity to shopping, stores, restaurants, that kind of thing? Right now I'm leaning more towards Aspen Hill but wanted to reach out and get opinions from everyone!

Thanks!

Don't trust reviews, many of the good ones are written by staff members or tenants who get incentives to write positive reviews. If someone writes the positives and negatives of an apartment then I would take that review seriously.

Best thing to do is go see the places yourself and see the areas first thing in the morning and at sunset/early evening. That will give you an idea what the neighborhood is like. Ideally you want to check out those areas on the weekends.

Be wary of mold issues, the older apartments have them so much so you will have to sign an addendum and when you get apartment insurance, ask the company about mold coverage. The standard insurance will not cover mold.

If you get a one year lease, try to find a place that runs on natural gas, it will save you money. I lived in a one bedroom in Colonial Park and had heating bills around 25 dollars during the coldest months of the year.

Both places are close enough to shopping and restaurants, that should not be an issue.

Keep in mind that Spring Valley is close to Union Deposit and there is a Giant located very close by, so Spring Valley will be well lit.

Personally, I think I would choose Aspen Hill, I like the area better.

Best of wishes in your search.

Last edited by Jahodor; 01-14-2015 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: Though of something else to write.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area