Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 07:25 AM

545 posts, read 1,092,382 times

Advertisements

How do people in the area feel about 3 mile island? Is it still a concern in the back of peoples minds or does nobody think about it? And since nuclear power has gotten a bad rap since a few incidents, does the power plant keep people and businesses out of the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 07:54 AM

165 posts, read 230,919 times
It didn't keep me from moving to Dauphin County, but I will admit I thought about it occasionally. My concern was any material still getting into the water supply. To be really honest about it, I was more concerned about pipelines in the area more so than Three Mile Island itself. The Power Plant is included in the infrastructure issues I had with the state but not so much as a stand alone concern.

I would be more concerned about the older apartments and houses having asbestos and mold issues than I would the Power Plant.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:46 AM

1,392 posts, read 1,548,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaq View Post
How do people in the area feel about 3 mile island? Is it still a concern in the back of peoples minds or does nobody think about it? And since nuclear power has gotten a bad rap since a few incidents, does the power plant keep people and businesses out of the area?
No it's still not a concern. Greenpeace and other groups greatly exaggerate what actually happened at 3 mile island. No people from the area really don't think about it. Plenty of other things to worry about then 3 mile Island. No the people and business generally aren't concerned about 3 mile island. Someone new to the area who heard about 3 mile island might be leery of 3 mile island since they hard stories with the vast majority of them being overblown. After they live in the area for a while they don't even think about it. As far as nuclear power goes everyone I met from the area is either very pro nuclear or not against it. That says a lot about nuclear power with people in the area of the biggest nuclear reactor incident in the nation still supporting nuclear power.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:20 PM

121 posts, read 257,478 times
The only time I think about it is when I visit my friends house, because they have a direct view of the 3 stacks. And even then its not negative, its actually a very pretty view.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:33 PM

200 posts, read 615,594 times
TMI doesn't have any stacks. Cooling towers, yes... stacks, no. You're confusing the Brunner Island coal plant with Three Mile Island. Personally, I would worry more about the coal plant emissions than the nuclear plant.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:17 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,199,892 times
When I lived in the Harrisburg area (mid-2000 to early 2008), the primary time I thought about TMI, besides the times I drove by it or rode the Amtrak Keystone trains by it, was on 9/11/01 when I was concerned Flight 93's target was Three Mile Island and not the U.S. Capitol. Besides those times, I rarely thought about it.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:37 PM

121 posts, read 257,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanling View Post
TMI doesn't have any stacks. Cooling towers, yes... stacks, no. You're confusing the Brunner Island coal plant with Three Mile Island. Personally, I would worry more about the coal plant emissions than the nuclear plant.
I'm not confusing it with Brunner Island, I just called the cooling towers "stacks". My bad.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:46 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,240,792 times
Back in 1978, the news media actually were caught encouraging people to leave nearby streets in order to propagate the image of threatened citizenry.

The treatment of all scientific, technical and entrepreneurial stories by a biased media is a disgrace; those o us who've lived closer to the real industry (as I have for 32 years) are fed up with the distortion, hype, and outright misrepresentation.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:46 AM

545 posts, read 1,092,382 times
^ so you're saying there are no concerns about cancer or other side effects from the incident as well as today? and it was all just media hype?

Old 02-05-2015, 04:25 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,240,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaq View Post
^ so you're saying there are no concerns about cancer or other side effects from the incident as well as today? and it was all just media hype?
If you want absolute security, I used to sell something like it -- ten feet long, three feet wide, and six feet deep. We all take risks from the day we are born, and there's no guarantee that Big Brother, more responsive to the worries of overgrown and overindulged children, won't mess things up either.

We all have insecurities -- I resent the sense of complete powerlessness that commercial air travel involves, for example. But I don't go whining to two-faced politicians when I don't get things my way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area