U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 11:14 PM

92 posts, read 95,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by furboll View Post
When I moved from Philly I stayed at Long Meadows in Camp Hill for the 1st year before I bought the house where I am now. They were able to get me in because they knew they had people moving out within a few weeks. It was around this time of year actually, and I just had to wait about a week and half before I could move in which worked out for me since my rent in Philly was already paid for the month. The timing was just right for me, but that was 14 years ago. I would have loved to live in a house in Camp Hill, but it was just too expensive for me as a single person. You didn't mention when you would be moving, but since I've lived here, I've found that a lot of people like to move In June or July after the school year is done when they can move their kids based on school districts they will be attending in the fall. May through July is also house buying time, and people tend to move at the mid year because where you live is key to how much taxes will be paid. I don't know what you are expecting for a commute distance wise if you will be going to Middletown, but I will tell you that moving to the West Shore and travelling over that bridge is a headache depending on what time of day you have to go to work. The earlier I would leave for work, the longer I was in traffic and would still be late at least 2 days a week. I'm not familiar with Harrisburg since the only time I really was there is when I worked over there and I hate(d) having to go over that bridge even it's not for work.
How are the Long Meadows apartments? Is there anything you remember about them (liking it or not liking it)? It's one of the apartments I am looking into possibly moving into shortly as the location is great for what I need, and the price was manageable. Any insight would be much appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 05:55 AM

125 posts, read 93,576 times
I loved them! Never had any issues for the year that I lived there. The one thing I would redo though is not taking the ground terrace apartment which faces the pool. It was convenient since it was steps from my parking spot, but the only way for privacy was to close the blinds. The living room and bedroom face the pool. People would sunbathe in the grass in front of the living room window. The sun beamed on the window all day and the Rite Aid headquarters blocks any view you might have. And people walked their (barking) dogs in front of the bedroom window early in the morning. I know it may sound like I am complaining but I am not. I really did love living there and think about even now.
As I said I had moved from Philly for work and I needed and apartment ASAP. At the time I was working in the building next to the Radisson. When I lived in Philly I didn't have a car. I chose Long Meadows because a coworker of mine had moved out a few months before me and she lived there with her family as well. And I was able to walk to work in less than 10 minutes.
When I lived there management and maintenance lived on the property. And the few people I met there never mentioned any problems. I've met a few people since then who all had spent time living there and we all agree it as a great place to live. Now that was back in 2002 so I don't know how things are there now. Honestly if it was logistically sensible for me I would love to move back in to that complex now, just not the apartment I had. But I drive by there every now and then and they still look peaceful.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:04 AM

Quote:
I loved them! Never had any issues for the year that I lived there. The one thing I would redo though is not taking the ground terrace apartment which faces the pool. It was convenient since it was steps from my parking spot, but the only way for privacy was to close the blinds. The living room and bedroom face the pool. People would sunbathe in the grass in front of the living room window. The sun beamed on the window all day and the Rite Aid headquarters blocks any view you might have. And people walked their (barking) dogs in front of the bedroom window early in the morning. I know it may sound like I am complaining but I am not. I really did love living there and think about even now.
As I said I had moved from Philly for work and I needed and apartment ASAP. At the time I was working in the building next to the Radisson. When I lived in Philly I didn't have a car. I chose Long Meadows because a coworker of mine had moved out a few months before me and she lived there with her family as well. And I was able to walk to work in less than 10 minutes.
When I lived there management and maintenance lived on the property. And the few people I met there never mentioned any problems. I've met a few people since then who all had spent time living there and we all agree it as a great place to live. Now that was back in 2002 so I don't know how things are there now. Honestly if it was logistically sensible for me I would love to move back in to that complex now, just not the apartment I had. But I drive by there every now and then and they still look peaceful.
Great, thanks so much! It was one of the apartments on my list to go check out when I make a trip out there in a few weeks. I thought it looked nice, the location to where I would be working is awesome & the price (e-mailed to confirm) is within budget. Read a couple reviews, and the recent ones weren't so great saying that it was an older building, so had issues heating in the winter etc. Either way, I'll still go check it out as it seems like a pretty viable option at this point.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Just wanted to thank you for this review. We went and saw it a few days ago, and it is pretty much what I was looking for with a great location from my work, and a price within my budget (except that the kitchen appeared a bit dated compared to others I had seen during our trip, though everything was in working condition and there was no washer/dryer in the unit). Now, I just have to hold out and hope that they have something open when I need it!

Old 06-27-2015, 08:58 AM

Glad to hear. Yeah some of the units are probably dated; especially now. If I remember correctly I think she told me the terrace unit I had was just redone before I moved in. I've never had an apartment with laundry in the unit itself. If that's what you need there is a place in Mechanicsburg that has that. I helped some friends of mine move out of there once. It's a little farther away from Camp Hill and you would definitely would be hitting traffic going over that bridge. And there is a Planet Fitness (which is where I go) right down the road.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Glad to hear. Yeah some of the units are probably dated; especially now. If I remember correctly I think she told me the terrace unit I had was just redone before I moved in. I've never had an apartment with laundry in the unit itself. If that's what you need there is a place in Mechanicsburg that has that. I helped some friends of mine move out of there once. It's a little farther away from Camp Hill and you would definitely would be hitting traffic going over that bridge. And there is a Planet Fitness (which is where I go) right down the road.
I think I know the one you mention in Mechanicsburg, and am fairly certain I viewed that one as well. I liked it quite a bit, but they made it sound like unless I wanted a 2br unit, I wouldn't really have a shot at getting in. Also, my job is in Camp Hill...not Harrisburg. If the Long Meadows has any openings when I need to move in, it likely will be the one I go with due to price and the location. Thanks for your input!

Old 07-08-2015, 09:04 PM

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area