U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 12:28 PM

34 posts, read 126,271 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from the Philadelphia area and have been living out west for the past several years. It looks like I'll be taking a job transfer to Middletown, PA to be closer to family. I like the sound of the Camp Hill and Mechanicsburg area mainly because of how close I'd be to both Wegmans and LA Fitness. The problem I'm having is that most apartments I contact have nothing available and nothing opening up soon. Are there good sections around Harrisburg or should I rule out Harrisburg all together. I just want to be in a safe, clean area where the people have good attitudes. What I read about Harrisburg has me concerned.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 01:44 AM

1,392 posts, read 1,378,718 times
What exactly have you read about Harrisburg?

Old 05-04-2015, 06:59 AM

165 posts, read 201,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiepuss View Post
I'm originally from the Philadelphia area and have been living out west for the past several years. It looks like I'll be taking a job transfer to Middletown, PA to be closer to family. I like the sound of the Camp Hill and Mechanicsburg area mainly because of how close I'd be to both Wegmans and LA Fitness. The problem I'm having is that most apartments I contact have nothing available and nothing opening up soon. Are there good sections around Harrisburg or should I rule out Harrisburg all together. I just want to be in a safe, clean area where the people have good attitudes. What I read about Harrisburg has me concerned.

There are some nice areas around Harrisburg, Hummelstown and Linglestown for example. I understand about apartments not being available. In 2013, I moved to Colonial Park and there was plenty of availability. The apartment complex I lived at, as a matter of fact, I didn't have a next door neighbor for the last 8 months of that year. In 2014, there was an explosion of people moving into the area, driving up the cost of the apartments.

Not sure about the good attitudes, there was a general mistrust in the suburbs about apartment renters at least in the area I was at. No matter where you live at, the attitudes will be good with some and bad with others.

At one time I would have recommended Colonial Park but not anymore. For what the places charge compared to quality, it is not worth it and not only where I rented at but other places, there have been more issues with bedbugs, trash on the property and noise. Also, there seems to be a good number of water pipes bursting in that area and some of these incidents happened before winter.

Best of luck in your search.

P.S. Look long and hard, if you are considering Middletown as a place to live.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:15 AM

125 posts, read 93,057 times
When I moved from Philly I stayed at Long Meadows in Camp Hill for the 1st year before I bought the house where I am now. They were able to get me in because they knew they had people moving out within a few weeks. It was around this time of year actually, and I just had to wait about a week and half before I could move in which worked out for me since my rent in Philly was already paid for the month. The timing was just right for me, but that was 14 years ago. I would have loved to live in a house in Camp Hill, but it was just too expensive for me as a single person. You didn't mention when you would be moving, but since I've lived here, I've found that a lot of people like to move In June or July after the school year is done when they can move their kids based on school districts they will be attending in the fall. May through July is also house buying time, and people tend to move at the mid year because where you live is key to how much taxes will be paid. I don't know what you are expecting for a commute distance wise if you will be going to Middletown, but I will tell you that moving to the West Shore and travelling over that bridge is a headache depending on what time of day you have to go to work. The earlier I would leave for work, the longer I was in traffic and would still be late at least 2 days a week. I'm not familiar with Harrisburg since the only time I really was there is when I worked over there and I hate(d) having to go over that bridge even it's not for work.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:09 AM

4,267 posts, read 10,422,238 times
The Harrisburg area, other than a couple of small areas within the City limits, is among the safest locales in the country.

Camp Hill Plaza apartment complex is literally next to LA Fitness, and across a parking lot from a relatively upscale Giant food store (may be able to save a trip to Wegmans for some, not all things). Camp Hill Boro is a "good school district" so is relatively stable but has a price premium. This web site alleges some availability: Camp Hill Plaza Apartments - Camp Hill, PA 17011 | Apartments for Rent If you take PA 581 east one exit (extra lane here) and go south on I-83 and take the I-76/Turnpike bridge every day, it's contraflow to the usual rush hour traffic jams to get to Middletown area.

Middletown has some apartment complexes. It is a mixed race mixed income community. Its Giant will not have the fu-fu ingredients for fancy cooking that the Camp Hill Giant or Wegmans will. But from the point of view of transportation arrangements it is possibly the most convenient in the Harrisburg metro with good air, Amtrak to Philly/NYC, and relatively un-bottlenecked highway access especially to south and east and Turnpike west. As far as I can tell crime concerns in Middletown are mostly reactions to seeing someone of a different color, as crime rates are below US average, and below some inner ring east shore suburbs. //www.city-data.com/crime/crime...nsylvania.html

Old 05-04-2015, 09:45 AM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 489,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiepuss View Post
Central PA is ok, but I would consider staying where you are or looking for a job in the Philly Area. Transplants seem to have a rough time assimilating here in Central PA. It's not a horrible place to live, especially after you have been here for a few years. However, the area isn't exactly welcoming to outsiders. Even if you are originally from Eastern PA, or Western PA like myself, you will be considered an outsider. If you move here one of the first things you will be asked is if you are "local", that means have you lived in the Harrisburg/York/Lancaster area your whole life. If you aren't a "local" then you will have several rough years ahead until you are fully accepted. There are good things about the area too, however. You can definitely find clean, safe areas and the cost of living is lower than the major East Coast cities. And you would be within driving distance of several major metro areas. And most people can be friendly after a few years here. But there is not a lot of diversity in the white collar community here, and you will most likely be expected to walk, talk, dress and live a certain way. If you are a conservative, old-fashioned type just looking for a quiet place then Harrisburg might suit you. You might get better advice if you disclose a little bit more information about yourself.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:09 AM

2,662 posts, read 2,434,175 times
Madison Heights - Hershey apartments probably has some availability. It's near Middletown, but is considered to be in Hummelstown (actually it's in Derry Township).

However, it's not close to Wegmans or the gym you want. There's nothing like the Wegmans on this side of the river, which is kinda sad. But there are some other options for gyms nearby.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:12 PM

52 posts, read 88,013 times
So non-natives are viewed as an outsider by the local for a few years? Sounds like The Deliverance. What determines when the locals start accepting you? when you learn the banjo and build a still out back?

Old 06-13-2015, 06:25 PM

165 posts, read 201,737 times
When I lived in Colonial Park, I got along with mostly other transplants, there were a few locals I became friends with but when I told them I was originally from Maryland and/or I was a renter, I did get some peculiar looks. A few asked me why in the world would I move to the area and some others made cracks about the apartments in Colonial Park being crime infested. I did meet some friendly people at the Dog Park near Union Deposit Road that could have cared less where I was from.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:27 PM

405 posts, read 859,559 times
the entire area is a depressing, but in terms of safety just avoid the Harrisburg inner city and you will be fine.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-30-2015 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: removed inappropriate language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area